• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Contest: Team Hack-off II: Sign-ups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020

PokéCommunity Team Hack-off II

Introduction

Welcome to PokéCommunity's second official Team Hack-off! People who sign up will be assigned to teams, and will have two months to plan, prepare and release a playable hack. This is aimed towards both beginners and experienced hackers, and no previous hacking experience is actually necessary. If you're looking for a team to make a hack and haven't had any luck yet, join this! You can find team mates here.

Team roles

To make things run smoothly in teams, each team member will be assigned a specific role, with different responsibilities. There can be many people with the same role in each team, with the exception of the Coordinator. Graphics artists and music composers can be rare so it's possible that there won't be any. Here is the list of the roles and their responsibilities. Roles that do not require any experience or knowledge specific to ROM hacking are in green.
    Coordinator: this member will be in charge of the team and putting everything together. They will be making sure the weekly requirements are completed in time and will be posting the updates.
    Hacker: tiles, sprites pokémon data, titlescreen, world map editing, and many more.
    Mapper: bring the hack's region to life by making the maps.
    Scripter: script storyline and other events, or even side quests, or create exciting new features with ASM.
    Artist: create new tiles or sprites, giving the hack a unique look.
    Writer: write the hack's main story, events and dialogue.
    Composer: make your team's hack stand out even more with custom music.
    Tester: test the hack and give feedback on its features and progress.

Schedule

The last competition was planned to be only two months long, and was extended by two weeks in order for the hacks to actually get progress done and finish things. This time, the Hack-off will be three months long, so that there won't be any pressure with time, and requirements for each Checkpoint (explained below) will help to ensure teams do not stay behind.
    • Sign-ups (Jul 1 - Jul 20): Members may sign up and will be assigned to teams. The size and number of teams will depend on the number of the participants.
    • Brainstorming (Jul 21 - Jul 31): Teams will decide on their hack's setting, region and story. Teams will have their own threads in the ROM Hacking Hub to discuss these, and can also do so in Skype group conversations, IRC channels, or other chat rooms.
    • Hacking (Aug 1 - Sep 20): Teams will then get started on their hacks. Every 10 days there will be a Checkpoint, where the Coordinators will post updates on their progress in a separate thread. There will be progress requirements that will have to be met for each Checkpoint.
    • Testing (Sep 21 - Sep 31): The teams will finish their hacks and do some final polishing on them, and also test them for any bugs.

How to sign up

If you want to join, simply fill in this application form and post it here!
    Username/name: your username and your real name or nickname
    Preferred contact method: it could be the forums, IRC, Skype, or any other messaging client
    Role: you may pick one or two roles
    Skills: additional skills you have related to all of the listed roles
    Experience: how experienced you are on each of your skills listed above, and also on your role (on a scale from 1-10)

If you have any questions, feel free to post in here and ask, or just message me!

Last edited by a moderator:

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • Ooh Ooh! I wanna join!

Username: Splash
    Preferred Contact: Skype
    Role: Scripter and/or Tester
    Skills: Scripting, Inserting Routines, and implementing other features.
    Experience: Made hacks like Firered A Reboot and FlareRed

Last edited:

Sensual

This should be good.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2018
    Username/name: Sensual
    Preferred contact method: Forum or Skype
    Role: Hacker / Tester
    Skills: Inserting tiles and sprites (OWs, backsprites, pokemon, etc), changing titlescreen, editing professor intro, etc.
    Experience: I'm pretty confident on all the fronts listed above and some.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2016
    Username/name: Johto_Legend
    Preferred contact method: Forums, possible Skype later on.
    Role: Mapper & Artist
    Skills: Mapping[Towns, Cities, Land Routes] , Artist[Tiles, Sprites, Palettes, Inserting]
    Experience: Participated in several Mapping Competitions[February 2015 Winner][9/10], Minor edits to default FR tiles[7/10]

BlackStorm20x

Content Creator
    Years
  • Username/name: BlackStorm
    Preferred contact method: Skype: yoyophoenix1963 (Next would be IRC.)
    Role: Hacker and Tester
    Skills: Hacking - (Pokemon Stat editing, sprite editing, party sprites, etc.) - 10 I can help with storyline and dialogue, too. :P - 7
    Experience: I particapated in the first Hack-off and our team won, so yeee. Also working on my own hack myself. May not seem like enough, but trust me, it is.

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
    Years
  • Signing!

Username: RayZax, Xian Iver Pasamonte.
    Preferred contact method: Skype.
    Role: Story Writer
    Experience: Tried many tools and make a simple ROM hacks!
    Skills: When I was collage, I have been a story teller (writer at the sane time)

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 25, 2023
    Username/name: JaDe
    Preferred contact method: PM and Skype
    Role: Mapper, and maybe secondary Scripter since I don't know ASM. (shouldn't everyone technically be a Tester?)
    Skills: Modest knowledge of most standard tools (A-Map, XSE, Item Editor, OW Editor, Trainer Editor, YAPE), Very basic with sprite editing...
    Experience: I've participated in all of Mana's Hack-Alongs, and messed around with all the tools I've downloaded. Mapping-8/10, XSE Scripting- 7/10

Dr. Seuss

Will finish GS Chronicles, I swear!
    Years
  • Username: Ruk!
    Preferred Contact: Skype or PM
    Role: Scripter and/or Artist
    Skills: Scripting, Inserting ASM Routines, Tiler, spriter, titlescreen maker
    Experience: GBC and GBA hacker, I've made a lot of unconclused hacks :3.

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2017
    Username/name: Kowasabi
    Preferred contact method: Skype, kik, line, pm
    Role: writer is what I am best at or coordinator
    Skills: I'm very creative
    I have lots of ideas for hack just I don't really know how to make one super well.
    I'm also a pretty good leader
    Experience: some experience writing I actually had ideas for and wrote up and drew maps for 3 rom hacks just I never published

Thx and I hope you will consider choosing me for one of the teams :)

Last edited:

ShockHERO

#TeamSonia Member
    Years
  • Username: Zerkrom The Hedgehog (Or Zerks)
    Preferred Contact: Skype (I feel more comfortable talking on here via text chat or voice chat.)
    Role: Writer Im usually the person who thinks of the story, region and other things that make up a pokemon game.
    Skills: Writing stories, planning out the routes and progression of a normal pokemon scenario
    Experience: Spriter for 3 Personal Projects, Planner and character designer for a fighting fan game, and I'm planning on making a story driven hack in the future. (Though I do write better with a partner)
    Skill Level: 7/10

Last edited:

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • Username: DyingWillFlareon/Flare
    Prefered Contact Method: VM/PM here on Pokecommunity.
    Role: I used to be able to map, but my computer is still busted so I can't do that, but I am willing to be a Writer, possibly a Tester, and if need be a Cooridnator.
    Skills: I am very good at mapping storylines I believe, and I know I can add good humor and serious balance when I try. I'm also pretty hard working, so I'd remember about the checkpoints as a possible Cooridnator, but my Testing skills might not be as good, since I'll take some time to get through the game....
    Experience: I've made some good storylines before but never told anyone, but I can work around whatever others like. I was in the last Hack Off, but all of the more experienced members left the group, see Team 1's story for reference I suppose. Writing(9/10) Testing(6/10) Cooridinating(8/10).

Last edited:

Shitik

Generic Bio
    Years
  • Username/name: Icefire123/Icey
    Preferred contact method: PM or Skype
    Role: Writer/Coordinator/Composer (I know it's only 2 I can choose, but it's real easy for me)
    Skills: Writer/Mapper/Trainer Editor/BASIC Scripting/Composer
    Experience: I would say 8/10 haha

Last edited:

Sceptile90

The Master of YamiNoGames
    Years
  • Username/name: Sceptile90 or ThePharaoh.
    Preferred contact method: Skype
    Role: Mapper and Writer
    Skills: I can make some okay maps and write a lot.
    Experience: 4. I've made a few unreleased 386 hacks.

I can't script at all and my computer's slow.

demingiscool

Mega Mewtwo Y
    Years
  • Username/name: Demingiscool
    Preferred contact method: PM/VM on PokéCommunity
    Role: Writer or tester
    Skills: According to my teacher my writingskills are really high and i've once written a book, so coming up with story's isn't that hard for me. And i've played all existing pokemon games so I really know what a player wants in a game. So I could be a good tester to.
    Experience: I don't have any experience with working in a team to create a pokemonhack, but I think everything will be fine.
    I rate my writing skills (8/10) and my testing skills (8/10) XD

Etherion

Preferred contact method: PC VM or Skype (gio7sm there too)
    Role: Writer or Artist
    Skills: umm, no additional skills sorry XD
    Experience: 8/10 for writing, 8/10 for artist

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    I'm here for Christos
    I should finally have time to actually do stuff!

Username/name: Lost Heart
    Preferred contact method: VM/PM
    Role: Hacker (8/10) or Scripter (8/10)
    Skills & Experience: Overall about 8 or 9/10. I can pretty much do everything but hardcore ASM.

Years
  • Username/name: CF, Chicken, Fingers, anything you want to call me idrc

Preferred contact method: I'm good with Skype, these forums, or anything that is available to me as long as their is no face2face or voice contact (I don't have a mic )

Role: Scripter, Tester

Skills: I can insert Pokemon sprites and edit stats and such. I can also help with writing. Other than that, I'm willing to learn or at least try to learn.

Experience: Scripting 5-6/10 I'm pretty new to hacking in general and I'm trying to learn.

Testing 9/10 I'm a pretty good bug finder and I have a decent amount of experience testing games.

My scripting's not great and I don't have any experience putting together really long scripts, but I think I'm learning pretty quickly. I have experience learning HTML and Javescript, so I'm familiar with coding.

trenhoj

The Pikadex Gym leader and shiny hunter
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2019
    Username/name: User: Trenhoj
    Preferred contact method: kik username: trenhoj
    Role: tester/ Coordinator
    Skills: mapping 1/10 Testing 9/10 Coordinator 10/10
    Experience: Previous hack off and testing and getting help.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Username/name: PlayGameTom/Thomas
    Preferred contact method: Skype
    Role: Tester, (If needed a Translator), Writer
    Skills: Speaks English, French and German, IQ of 130 makes some things pretty easy
    Experience: Tester (7,8/10) and (Translator (8.5/9)) , writer (4/10) Pretty new in the hacking Scene, tried some tools for NDS and GBA Roms

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back