• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TwitchPlaysPokémon Returns for Anniversary Run

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
Years
    • Age 32
    • They/Them
    • UK
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Much-hyped TwitchPlaysPokémon is returning for its anniversary run of Pokémon Red. It's a special TPP edition where all 151 Pokémon are obtainable and it's starting in just under 2 minutes (at time of posting).

I had a gut feeling that there wouldn't be as much interest as there was last time, but the stream viewers have jumped from 800 to almost 8,000 in the last two hours or so.

Will you be there when we start? Do you think the hype will last this time? Will we get another epic quest of Gods and Kings or will it just fizzle out?

http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon

Praise Helix!

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It's good to see it back again as it was a huge hit when it first took off last year, but I don't think it will be anywhere near as widespread as it was last year. I checked it out myself earlier and it seems to be off to a decent start, it's just not something that can hold my interest for a long period of time really.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Eh I'm not very interested unless it was for charity or something. The kitcsh event ran its course already in my opinion, I may pop in once or twice but it won't regain its initial popularity. That's the thing about viral fads: the second time around is almost always less popular.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    I have no doubt it will be popular, but there's no way it will reach the level of attention it did last time.

Personally, I didn't really think the whole fad was interesting the first time, so I doubt I'll ever even bother watching it.

Years
  • Although as people have mentioned it won't be the super-fad it was last time, there's still the chance that it'll give us some funny Pokémon to turn into memes and give epic names. xP

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I'm currently watching.

I'll only post info for those who want to be updated:
    TPP Party:
    Spoiler:

The story so far:
    Spoiler:

The chat is far more interesting than the gameplay though. GROWLMELEON = new meta

Years
  • I remember being shocked when I saw that TPP was still a thing last month- I think they were playing one of the Pokemon Stadiums or something.

I know this won't come anywhere close to the number of viewers that the original run of Pokemon Red had, but everytime I've checked so far they've been between 3000-9000, which is a pretty decent amount. I'm not going to be as invested in this run as I was with the original, but I'm sure I'll pop in once or twice a day just to see how they're progressing.

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
    Years
    • Age 32
    • They/Them
    • UK
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    It's been quite fun so far. It's not the media storm that it was last time, but I think a smaller audience is a good thing. That being said, we still get 3,000 - 5,000 players on average; no where near the amount TPP got in the first few series but it's still a lot. I'm actually trying out the Reddit this time, that's quite fun.

We beat Misty today with a Lv 10 Magikarp that only knows Splash. Figure that one out. :P

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • Last year I was super invested into that and stayed interested until about their HeartGold run. I may pop in to see every now and then, but I won't spend nights on my computer just watching it. It's impressive though that even 5,000 people are there and there was over 9,000 earlier. The last series I was invested in had between 500 and 1,200 people involved. God knows how many are bots, but still impressive. It's amazing that there's always been some people still interested even now. They've also apparently done every main series game up to OmegaRuby which is just as impressive. It still has a chance to gain popularity, just won't ever reach the 100,000 it had last year.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • The TPP party is currently quite strong. Last time I saw the run was:
    Growlizard and Runix = the fannames I'm going to call the TPP Party's Charizard and Onix being two of the highest level'd mons in the party.

Spoiler:

I actually prefer the smaller but still active crowd. It just goes to show who really wants to be part of the fiesta. I remember TPP on its hay day that Destiny (Who I will assume is the Starcraft player) wanted to ruin the run by releasing Anarchy Jesus and Bird Jesus.. just too many pokehaters going around back then.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I loved all the buzz around the first run. I was cheering for Flareon ;D we sat in groups of friends and laughed to tears at how they tried to heal the team in Celadon and evolve Eevee. Before the anarchy/democracy system I believe.

Amazing thing, but yeah, haven't watched it now. It was a cool thing once but not in the long run for me.

Years
  • Looking at the stream right now...and they really have a Level 46 Onix and Level 40 Parasect? :o And two Diglett? This may as well be TwitchPlaysPokémon: Attack of the Ground-types.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Parasect haha. Cool! Only time I had a high leveled one was in a Gold run.

Do they still manage to name them into things people twist and put nicknames on?

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
    Years
    • Age 32
    • They/Them
    • UK
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Do they still manage to name them into things people twist and put nicknames on?

Hell yeah, the Reddit lore is still going strong. :) If anything it's a bit more coherent with a smaller audience. It's not the epic crusade of god's and kings that it was before, it's more low key this time. Darker, actually, because we managed to release our Lv 50 Charizard and pretty much the rest of the party in trying to retrieve a Kakuna (yes, you heard me right) from the PC.

Though we clawed it back. We managed to defeat Lt. Surge's Lv 42 Raichu with a Lv. 18 Diglett completely solo. It was crazy.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    This run is so much more interesting. Really liked it so far, can't wait for more!

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Sorry for double post but how did twitch just break the game?

Years
  • Oh wow, I don't know what happened, but when I popped into the stream, somehow they were taking part in a link cable battle, and lost. Now, every time they take 4 steps, the player blacks out. I'm really curious to hear what caused that glitch, and if the streamer was making save states, since it looks like they'll be stuck if they can't go back to earlier in the playthrough.

EDIT: Ah, they picked the Dome Fossil. Now I see what the problem is. Well, serves them right. #PraiseHelix

Last edited:

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Reseting may be the only thing that could help them..

Back