• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestions for grass types in Emerald?

Years
  • Seen Feb 19, 2015
Hi. Yesterday I started Emerald on my VBA because I lost the cartridge for Emerald years ago. It's quite fun. Anyways, I need some help with my team as to what to build my team with. So far I just arrived in Mauville and have a level 23 Marshtomp, Level 22 Swellow, and a Level 20 Kirlia. They're doing all right but I need a fire and grass type, but don't know what to use. Can I have some suggestions?

Years
Well, you can get Oddish on the route below Mauville, although you'll have to put up with it being a Gloom for a little while as its stones don't come until later in the game. And there's Roselia west of Mauville, but that's very frail on the physical side. As for Fire-types, you'll be able to get Numel after you beat Wattson, or Torkoal if you're more patient.

Years
  • Seen Feb 19, 2015
Alright so my team expanded to Level 27 Marshtomp, Level 26 Swellow, Level 26 Kirlia (with psychic now!), Level 26 Numel, and Level 26 Bellossom (I got a sun stone off a Solrock). So I crushed Wattson and Team Magma and for Normans gym, I have no fighting type moves on my Pokemon. I'm not thinking of using a fighting type on my permanent team but I'll gladly use it for the gym. Are there any fighting TMs that I can find this early in the game or any good fighting types in this part of the game?

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
Seedot is great with Bullet Seed until you get another TM and... oh wait, Emerald. Why didn't they leave that in vanilla again? Roselia isn't in there either.

Anyways, Lotad isn't horrible with Bullet Seed either until you get better Grass moves and/or Surf, and Shroomish is great after it evolves (though you won't be using it for Grass-type moves unless you waited for Spore). The best straight Grass user outside of starter is Oddish in Emerald solely because it learns more Grass moves and all powders early (plus Leaf Stone is I believe the second earliest you can obtain). I wish Tropius was better, Tropius is cool but it tends to get outshined a lot.

EDIT: Only TM01 is findable for a Fighting TM until late in the game when you get Brick Break. Don't ask me why. For a good Fighting-Type Pokemon just about every one of them in there is good depending on what you want; Hoenn has about the best Fighting lineup ever and they all learn good moves without TMs.

Years
  • Seen Feb 19, 2015
Oddish and Gloom are looked down upon. I've used Vileplume in Heart Gold and it was awesome, so I decided to use Bellossom to try it out. It's worked well so far. Just has low speed and I won't have good grass type moves until I get the TM for Giga Drain.

KittiOcelotti

"Smell ya later!"
Years
I'll recommend Breloom. Even though Breloom's stats are dreadfully bad ( Base stat; 460, fully evolved). He has access to a very good move set and is one of the four pokemon that can learn spore. Spore puts the enemy to sleep (100 percent accuracy). Breloom is an ou tier pokemon, which is impressive if you look at his stats.

Just watch out for flying type pokemon though.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Breloom is great for in-game purposes. But I once had a Vileplume in my E4 fights that performed admirably enough. It's very much a personal choice, with fighting styles and such, when it comes to in-game teams of course. I personally prefer offensive types and care less for heavy defense. So usually I don't bother with grass types at all, especially not in Hoenn :o

Infamy

Also known as ShinySigma
Years
Breloom has been perfectly fine for me and I use it in almost all of my Hoenn run-throughs. Although its stats aren't great, it's nice to have fighting and grass coverage, especially for Norman's gym (Winona is a whole other story, though). It'll also come in handy later on for Juan if you don't have any other Electric or Grass-types.

blue

gucci
Years
Breloom is a great grass-type Pokemon to use in Emerald, you can capture a Shroomish practically from the start. I've used Breloom in both Emerald and Alpha Sapphire, I found it to be a brilliant Grass-type in both instances. It hasn't got the best stats and you've got to watch out for the x4 Flying weakness, but I'd definitely say the moves it can learn make up for that.

Years
As the others said, Breloom is really handy with its useful moves. Even though the 4x Flying weakness can be a bother, it does at least provide good Grass and Fighting coverage which helps with all the Water and Normal-types you'll be running into.

Vileplume and Bellossom are solid as well, but the issue as Pendra is you have to wait a while to get the evolution stones so you'll likely be stuck with a Gloom until you get said stones.

Lotad is one you can get early and provides both Water and Grass coverage in one package. A definitely perfect way to complement your team, especially if you picked Torchic as your starter. I wouldn't recommend it as much if you used Treecko or Mudkip though, due to the overlapping.

Tricko

Developing Pokémon Dark Leaf
Years
I think you better catch seedot or lotad..Even though it is 4x weak again flying it wont be problem for your current team...its upto you..choose the Pokemon you like...^^Consider everyone's opinion...

Back