• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

pbExclaim not activating for Trainers with range 1?

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2015
    Hi I've run into a small issue while trying to set up a trainer that has a range of 1. When I walk up to him, he challenges me as expected, but the exclamation sign does not show up. The exclamation mark shows up just fine for trainers with a range of 2 or higher, so I'm wondering if the game is skipping the pbExclaim part when the trainer is already touching the player.

Heres what I have for the event

Name:
    Trainer(1)

@>Comment: Battle:\bThis is a pretty long route.
    @>Comment: Type:YOUNGSTER
    @>Comment: Name: Steve
    @>Comment: Endspeech:\bYou don't seem tired at all!
    @>Comment: Endbattle:\bGotta work on that cardio.
    @>Script:pbTrainerIntro(:YOUNGSTER)
    @>Script:pbNoticePlayer(get_character(0))
    @>Conditional Branch: Script:pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::YOUNGSTER,"Steve",_I("You don't seem tired at all!"),false,0,false,0)
    @>Control Self Switch: A=ON
    @>
    : Branch end
    @>Script: pbTrainerEnd
    @>

Move animation is checked, and the whole thing is triggered by Event Touch

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I've just tried this, and the exclamation is played. You're just using the wrong script.

Code:
    [COLOR=Red]Kernel.[/COLOR]pbNoticePlayer(get_character(0))
    The Kernel part is important.

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2015
    Ah that was a typo on my part. that line should have said

Code:
    Script: Kernel.pbNoticePlayer(get_character(0))
    Hmm if it works perfectly on your end I must have messed something up elsewhere. I went back and fiddled around with it a bit, and apparently if I approach the trainer's range from the side like this

T (trainer)
    X <<< Player Character (X is the tile that is in the trainer's range and the PC is approaching from the right)

then the exclamation shows up fine. However, when I approach the trainer head on like this

T
    X
    ^
    ^
    Player

Then the exclamation animation doesn't play. Do you see that too?

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Ah, yes, that doesn't cause an exclamation. It's always been like that, so I presume there was some reason for it. Are there any instances in the official games where you can step so close to a trainer face-to-face? If so, is there an exclamation?

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    I've never seen an exclamation when you're face to face with a trainer... I also read somewhere, (maybe Bulbapedia) exactly that. So no exclamation is correct.

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2015
    Gotcha. The only reason I set it up that way is because I had a one tile path like this

T
    PPPPPP
    P
    P
    P

And I didn't want the trainer to block the PC when he challenged him. I'll just redesign it so that the trainer has a range of 2 and starts one tile further back. Probably easier than going into the Script editor and trying to change the behavior for this specific case.

Thanks guys

EDIT: That being said, I remember now in the main games that the exclamation mark does show up whenever you have a moving or rotating trainer that moves slow enough for you to get right next to and face before they turn around. I created moving trainers (with ranges of 1, 2, and 3 in Essentials) and can confirm the exclamation does not show up if you are one tile away and facing the trainer but does show up in all other scenarios.

Last edited:
    Back