• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Create-A-Region Project!

Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    PREFACE:
    I wasn't sure where to post this thread, but I decided that this could be a good place.
    I have seen similar events like this on other websites, but I have decided to start my own.

OVERVIEW
    In this project, which can be simplified to CAR if you like, we shall set out to create a brand new region of pokemon. It is up to us to decide if we want to use existing pokemon, how our region interacts with other regions, and basically everything about it.

We shall make new starters, new pseudos, new legendaries, new stories, new moves, new abilities, EVERYTHING! You can even create new types if you so desire, as long as they have a legitimate application to certain pokemon and seem to be worth implementing.

NEW POKEMON
    We will implement 150 new pokemon into this region. We will stick along the lines of the statistical averages of number of pokemon from each type in each generation, which goes as follows.

FIRE 9
    WATER 19
    GRASS 12
    ELECTRIC 7
    ICE 5
    POISON 10
    PSYCHIC 12
    NORMAL 12
    DARK 7
    STEEL 6
    GHOST 6
    BUG 10
    DRAGON 5
    FLYING 13
    ROCK 9
    GROUND 9
    FIGHTING 7

Some of the above numbers have been shrunk so as to fit 150 pokemon (rounding was a factor). Normal was shrunk more than the others just to make things more hot and shpicy (props to anyone who gets that reference). Fairy was not included because A. I don't really like it B. To encourage a new type to be created.
    We can stray from these numbers slightly, that is ok. If we decide the region's geography is going to be more inclined towards certain types of pokemon than others, then that will be observed in creating set amounts of each type.

The starters DO NOT necessarily have to follow the old Fire-Water-Grass triangle. They can if we so choose, but there are numerous other triangles we can choose from, such as Rock-Fighting-Flying, Bug-Grass-Rock, Psychic-Dark-Fighting and Water-Electric-Ground. And I would think we could keep the original triangle and implement some of these as dual type ideas, but whatever happens, happens!

If say there is only 2 available slots for fire pokemon left, and person A suggests an evolutionary family of two to fill them, but so does person B, i think the fair way to settle any disputes like that would be to make a poll.

All new pokemon must eventually have stats, abilities, moves learned by level up, and evolution levels. When they are first brought up as an idea, this isn't necessary, but if they are included in the final product of the region, they must have said items.

MISCELLANEOUS

We also will need to decide on those small things that are kept constant from gen to gen like what tree our professor will be named after, what theme we should name our cities after, notable people living in the region, stuff like that.

THE REGION ITSELF

We will have to do some work making the actual region too. So hopefully not everyone focuses just on the fakemons. But we will need a name, maybe a rough map drawn up, gym leader names and typings, same with the Elite Four, and other such stuff as caves and mountains. General geography stuff.

IN CONCLUSION

Hopefully this gains interest and we can really start the ball rolling. I have many ideas myself but would prefer not to share them until this has picked up a bit as not to monopolize the early stages of development.

Who knows, maybe this can develop into a full-fledged hack if we can get some mappers, scripters, spriters and the like interested. The potential for this project is limitless. I'm excited for it. Join me, and together we can be awesome!

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
    Years
  • I like the idea of a community game, but I doubt it will get any traction, since there aren't a lot of people willing to help. An idea would be, like in another part of the forums, have a "create a region" where a person starts off with basic lines, then person by person more lines and details are added until it can be shaded and improved. the rules are here
    Spoiler:

It would make creating a region more of a community thing instead of certain people working on certain things. We could also do that for the fakemon using the same rules at that thread. Unless people have concrete thought out ideas.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    This project really has nothing to do with game development (where it was originally posted), other than "I hope someone will like this idea and make a game out of it". So I moved it into here. I hope that's okay!

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • This sounds fun...

As I'm not a good artist, I can't help with any of the graphics, but I can give ideas for new places, characters, pokemon, moves,
    abilites & so on.

I was wondering if the region could be Tohjo, which would be the landmass north of Kanto & Johto....
    (Yes, I did get the idea from Tohjo Falls in G/S/HG/SS.)
    Although, I just now noticed that "Tohjo" is "Johto" with the "T" & "J" switched...

& I think we should have Fairy-types because A. Some of us, myself inculded, LIKES them. B. It isn't neccessary to remove a type to promote
    creavity... in fact, I made a thead about my new type idea (currently called the Beast-type) of which took into account ALL 18 other types.
    C. The Fairy-type adds balance to the type-chart, as Fighting & Dragon-types won't be so overpowered & giving Poison & Steel-typed attacks
    a REAL reason to exist. D. They're OFFICIAL. I know that this project is all about making things up, but I feel we should repect Nintendo &
    Game Freak's descisions, because without them, Pokemon wouldn't even exist. (& there's the fact that Nintendo & Game Freak are always
    doing their best to make games that we all would love.)

As for the starter pokemons... I vote for having the traditional Grass/Fire/Water types & also an alternate Rock/Fighting/Flying triangle.
    How this'd work is the Professor would let you pick which set to choose from then allow you to pick 1 of the 3 in the set.
    (& as always, the rival would pick the one from the same set that's super-effective aganist your pokemon. Like that has EVER helped them...)
    I vote Rock/Fighting/Flying to be the new triangle because then, with the old triangle, the 4 most improtant elements (Fire, Water, Earth & Air)
    would be covered.

Xilfer

Just won't die.
    Years
  • Hmm, I'd like to start off by saying that in my opinion, you have a better chance of getting a good region if you gather a small group of creative people rather than make it a community project. At least, if you're willing to make something more out of this. If it's just for fun, like a community project, I guess this is fine, but as Saving Raven pointed out, it likely won't get much traction. And then there's the unlikely possibility of it getting too much attention, which would make it a mess with people's opinions and suggestions flying out in all directions. Polls wouldn't be enough to sort out the chaos, I think.

That said, I like the idea you have here. Despite the fact that I think it won't get too much attention because people are lazy, I actually hope it does. Just the right amount of course. Perhaps, through this thread, a smaller, more dedicated group of people can be gathered to create this region. If that happens and if that is what you decide, swaggage, I wouldn't mind being part of said team and pitching in with ideas. While I'm no good at art, I have many ideas for characters, fakemon, etc etc that I could come up with and share.

Now, onto my actual input. >_>

& I think we should have Fairy-types because A. Some of us, myself inculded, LIKES them. B. It isn't neccessary to remove a type to promote
    creavity... in fact, I made a thead about my new type idea (currently called the Beast-type) of which took into account ALL 18 other types.
    C. The Fairy-type adds balance to the type-chart, as Fighting & Dragon-types won't be so overpowered & giving Poison & Steel-typed attacks
    a REAL reason to exist. D. They're OFFICIAL. I know that this project is all about making things up, but I feel we should repect Nintendo &
    Game Freak's descisions, because without them, Pokemon wouldn't even exist. (& there's the fact that Nintendo & Game Freak are always
    doing their best to make games that we all would love.)

I completely agree with this. I'm not such a big fan of Fairy myself (in that I think they could've done better) however I feel it's unfair to omit something from the region because of our own personal opinions when it's already official, and has so many advantages.

For starters, I always liked the idea of a Dark/Psychic/Fighting trio. However, I am aware of the major problem people have with this one: Psychic is completely ineffective against Dark, which is an irregularity. People are relatively divided on whether or not this matters, and I'd like to hear others' opinions on this matter first. This is just my personal preference, after all.

My second choice would likely be a Rock/Flying/Fighting trio, as that appeals as well. Though I can't say I'm too confident about having six starters... at least not initially. Perhaps we could have something like what they did in X and Y, where you choose from an initial set of starters and then choose from the Kanto starters later on. Not necessarily exactly the same, but something along those lines.

The region should be completely original, I think. Something new, fresh, but still having a connection to the older generations' regions, much like Kalos. Having Pokemon from all regions present like in Kalos would also be a plus. However, considering the vast amount of Pokemon that exist already, plus the 150 fakemons, I don't think we should have all Pokemon available. Following in Gamefreak's footsteps and basing the region off a country would also serve as an excellent guideline for things such as cities and towns, notable people, and even gyms. My own personal suggestion for a country to base our region off of would be a culturally diverse place such as Canada. True, it's similar to the US/Unova in several respects, but its cultural diversity can lead to all sorts of possibilities for our region's culture, folk, and cities. Also, the diversity is a good reason for the vast amount of Pokemon available.

Shadow Man

Nerfed Metal Blade
    Years
  • This seems like a cool project! I don't have much to add for now, but I do have a few questions.
    1. Will there be new types? You talked about it slightly, but I did not really understand.
    2. Will have real Pokemon along with the Fakemon?
    Just to put my input in, I think Canada would be cool (no pun intended) to base a region on, and I could really go either way when it comes to the Fairy Type. On a final note, I can't really draw well but I can sprite and have many ideas for the region and Fakemon.

Shadow Man

Nerfed Metal Blade
    Years
  • I just had an interesting idea for a grass Pokemon (possibly a starter), so I figured I would post it. My idea is to have a grass type lemur, but on its 2nd evolution, it would become part ghost type and learn a lot of sleep-type moves (spore, dream eater, nightmare). He would be fast and maybe a good mixed attacker, but very frail.

Back