• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Things that surprised you?

AdamEternal

Vanished, poof, gone!
Years
  • What surprised you? Was it a feature? A Pokemon? Story? Trade? Battle? What?

An example: I like to do Wonder Trades. I forget what I sent that day, but I got a Pikachu in return. Level 3, I think. And shiny... Are Shinies more common in X and Y? Or am I just lucky that a fool was being a wonderful fool?

lilartistgrrl

Pokemon Lover
    Years
    • US
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I was completely surprised when I accidentally pressed the R button and found Pokemon Amie and the Training Thing. Been obsessed with both since!! Also really surprised when I found the GTS! I started trading Pokemon like crazy! Then I missed them and had to trade them back!!

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Dunsparce! I'm so happy it as rare as it used to be like in gold silver and crystal. I have a certain nostalgic love for dunsparce. Other than that the blatant stereotyping of french people loving fashion, the main villain dying, and the variety of pokemon you can get in routes.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    For some reason I squealed with delight at the sight of Zigzagoon on the first route with Pokemon on it. The first Pokemon I caught quickly became one of my favourite party members in my runthrough of X.
    Donny deserves some Supreme Pokepuffs from the Pokemon League. Off I go!

Years
  • I was really surprised to see a key Pokemon XD Given how there have been interesting Pokemon designs in the past, you'd think this wouldn't be such a shock, but it really was XD Still, Klefki is really adorable and not too bad in battle, so I'm glad it exists!

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    Just how much I would get back into Pokemon because of XY! I fell out of the Pokemon loop with Emerald, and got back into it with XY and I'm so glad I did!

Aside from that, the amount of Pokemon and the 3D models of them are very cool, they have definitely made the games for me.

Lady May

Damn u Youngster Joey no-one cares about ur "Top-p
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2015
    I was surprised to see skitty and ralts in the game without having to use the pokemon radar and i have a Gardivour and a Delcatty on my team before my brother reset my game. They were both female and i called the Delcatty Sora after the Suicune I had on my Soul Silver and the Gardivour was called Misty after my Kirlia in my Nuzlocke Emerald

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • One of my biggest surprises was learning that Gardevoir got a Mega Evolution. Then a negative surprise I had was that Gallade didn't get one too.

Canen

Sometimes, I like to party.
    Years
  • There were a couple of wonderful surprises, and a couple of not-so-wonderful ones.

The first wonderful surprise was the way in which the wi-fi battle and trade system has been overhauled. Wonder Trade is a fantastic feature and as a result of this wonderful feature I now have about 300 Fletchlings sat waiting to go back into the Wonder Trade system. But, occasionally, I get the odd gem (Zorua for the win).

Thank you random traders.

Another wonderful surprise was the inclusion of Zoroark and Eevee as wild Pokemon. This put a spring in my step, and a song in my heart.

The not-so-wonderful surprise was the ease in which the Elite Four and the Champion can be beaten. I have not faced an easier Elite Four in six generations and I was extremely disappointed in Diantha, both in lack of character or backstory and lack of challenge. Blue, Lance, Steven, Cynthia and N were all tougher and more involved in the story.

I was also surprised at how little you come across Mega-Evolution opponents, and I was expecting more from this.

Overall, Y is probably filled with far more wonderful surprises than not-so-wonderful ones.

Jasonmii

Der Kaffee geht auf mich.
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jan 23, 2015
    To me the whole game was a surprise. Pokemon games have come so far! We went from 2D to 3D models. I just think that is amazing. The Pokemon actually come to life in X and Y, so I was really excited to see every Pokemon.

Years
  • I'd say the feature that surprised me the most (in a Positive way) was the inclusion of the Friend Safari. As a person who has a bunch of friends and who loves experimenting with other Pokemon, this feature was definitely a great one to me aswell as the large variety of Pokemon from previous generations.

However, one thing that surprised me in a negative way was the story. Pokemon games aren't known for their story that much but this has to be one of more lacking storylines in a Pokemon game.

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2016
    I'd say the feature that surprised me the most (in a Positive way) was the inclusion of the Friend Safari. As a person who has a bunch of friends and who loves experimenting with other Pokemon, this feature was definitely a great one to me aswell as the large variety of Pokemon from previous generations.

I am totally with you on this one. I think the use of FC's as a way to change your Safari was a neat way to do it. It kind of reminded me of the trophy garden in Platinum (In the mansion where you could talk to the man who would stock the garden with one of a select few Pokemon each day).

What I wish had been done differently is that when you enter the safari I wish you could select more than one friend whose Safari you get to see. Or perhaps that you get to see one other safari at random than the one you selected. I feel that now that I am attempting to catch one of each in Premier balls (with hidden ability where I can) that I am going in and out of the safari a lot.

Although, despite having around 40 FC's I'm still only halfway to having one of every Pokemon available to me in Safari's (I have yet to add a single person with Dragon for example...)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    One of my surprises was when I encountered a shiny Litleo at the beginning of Pokémon Y. Unfortunately, I had only a limited number of Poké Balls with me at that time, and didn't want any to go to waste. Therefore, I decided to weaken it a little so that I could raise my capture rate, but it wound up to be a critical hit and made it faint. Luckily, however, I was able to encounter another of these shiny Litleo later throughout the game, which had definitely made up for it.

Years
  • In the grassy area near Parfum Palace was a double battle against TWO annoying Fur Coats. Still losing to them at times as I don't often have special attacks and getting hit with attack debuffs and Headbutt hurts at this early in the game.

Canen

Sometimes, I like to party.
    Years
  • One of my surprises was when I encountered a shiny Litleo at the beginning of Pokémon Y. Unfortunately, I had only a limited number of Poké Balls with me at that time, and didn't want any to go to waste. Therefore, I decided to weaken it a little so that I could raise my capture rate, but it wound up to be a critical hit and made it faint. Luckily, however, I was able to encounter another of these shiny Litleo later throughout the game, which had definitely made up for it.

I encountered a shiny Emolga in the wild whilst hunting for Eevee, and it absolutely astonished me.

In all of my time playing every generation of Pokemon, I have NEVER encountered a shiny in the wild (aside from "set" shinies like Gyarados). That's 10+ years of NEVER finding a shiny. How people can build up entire squads of shinies in what seems like days, some of them legendaries, and claim that they were legit is lost on me.

HAX EVERYWHERE.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I encountered a shiny Emolga in the wild whilst hunting for Eevee, and it absolutely astonished me.

In all of my time playing every generation of Pokemon, I have NEVER encountered a shiny in the wild (aside from "set" shinies like Gyarados). That's 10+ years of NEVER finding a shiny. How people can build up entire squads of shinies in what seems like days, some of them legendaries, and claim that they were legit is lost on me.

HAX EVERYWHERE.

Haha. There are a couple of special methods that people use to encounter shinies, but I'm personally not too familiar with them; usually, I just rely on my luck.

Years
  • I was surprised as well as disappointed by the amount of new Pokemon introduced in Kalos. Such a small number compared to Unova, which I guess spoiled us all when it comes to new Pokemon, haha. Still, most of the ones that were released looked great, which made up for it. Also surprised that they decided to make a gym leader Fairy type instead of an elite four member.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Finding out Vivillon had forms that are different according to geographical location, and that the GTS is full of people hell bent on attaining all forms, me included. It was a lovely surprise, and I'm glad I got caught in the craze~

arinceo

Eat, Sleep, Pokemon
    Years
  • Wonder trading was probably the biggest surprise for me. That and the new Exp. share. Made the regular story easy to complete, freeing up time for me to complete the pokedex and learn about IV breeding.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I was surprised by the actual visual appeal by the game. I mean, all the trailers looked promising from early on, but playing the game and maneuvering the character looked good and felt good to do. I didn't get that sense that it subtracted anything from the 8bit games we fell in love with, despite being a far dispatch from them.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the sheer amount of features, as opposed to the technical level they were executed at; although they were well done. But maybe I'm a quantity over quality kind of girl lol.

Back