• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Possibility Of A Real PokeBall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • First off since nobody actually knows what happens inside a PokeBall I will go with the theory that Pokemon are stored as data inside a PokeBall.

With the way that technology is evolving do you believe that the technology used in a PokeBall could creep into real life? How would we use them?

For me anyway I think we would use these "PokeBalls" to store our pets when we are away from home, it would provide a safe place for the pet and would save the hassle of having somebody look after it for you. I doubt the design of this device would be similar to a PokeBall seen in Pokemon and the name would be different too, but what do you guys think? Could PokeBalls become a reality?

Dark Phantom Samurai

Finesse & Perfection
    Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2014
    Im not exactly a tech person but its sounds plausible as scientists have 'Teleported' an atom before. So as the era evolves its seems likely that there may be something of the such :) But i fear if this is the case, there may be criminals that may hack the Pokeball and use it to store people and keep them as hostage. But shying away from the bad point of view, i reckon we can use it to lock up the criminals.

Or hopefully by then, we might be advanced enough in the entertainment/gaming industry to give a pokeball data/matter already, meaning when you open it a we could possibly have real life Pokemon! {Perhaps not with moves though :)}

Years
  • Or hopefully by then, we might be advanced enough in the entertainment/gaming industry to give a pokeball data/matter already, meaning when you open it a we could possibly have real life Pokemon! {Perhaps not with moves though :)}

We can teach a dog to sit, so why can't we teach a bat to use it's supersonic communications to confuse an opponent? But realistically if animals have evolved enough by the time this technology has been invented then maybe we can have real Pokemon!

Dark Phantom Samurai

Finesse & Perfection
    Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2014
    I certainly hope so! But i think we all wish we could have them now... I wouldn't mind being that bats trainer :)

I could understand now how most moves could be taught, but if a Dialga was real, how would we teach it roar of time? maybe well just give it a really loud roar, or incorporate the theories of black hole time travel into it maybe? Dont know how though.

Wouldn't mind having a Zoroark companion either.

Years
  • I'm not much of a technology person, but I don't think that'd be possible. XD
    If we could find a way to shrink things down and fit them into balls, it'd be used on a lot more important things than keeping pets locked up though.

Racket

The TCG Professor
    Years
  • I'm a computer scientist and mathematician, but unfortunatly not a physicist. I wouldn't say I'm anywhere near an expert, but I do work with applied mathematitians and scientist on occation.

I beleive that the unfortunate answer is "not without a breakthrough in the funamental laws of physics as we understand it".

We might be able to bend space such that whatever we want "fits" into the ball. The idea that we can bend space is not universally accepted, but if we can, then most models seem to link it to gravity, which means that the pokeball would create a huge graviational feild. It seems somewhat unlikely that we'll discover another way around this.

Another method would to be to compress the target down to size. The ball would be heavy. And probably a really big mess. The amount of pressure required would be rediculus. I dout humans are capable of producing that much pressure. Even it it were, I'm not sure you'd want to do that to your pets.

The idea of storing anything as "data" is scary. Essentially the idea would be to scan the position of all of the atoms (we need to do this on an atomic level in order to preserve DNA). Then the "thing" is digitally stored as is. What do you do with the original though? Well, you'd be able to destroy it, and make another version based on the stored data later. That's where things get a bit scary if you think about it.

As far as teleporting "atoms", I think that the closest we've come was to observe the same properties on entagled particals (quantum entaglement) from different points, but I don't generally keep up with the research.

Last edited:

Dark Phantom Samurai

Finesse & Perfection
    Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2014
    Oh well, even if it isn't possible now, who knows what the future will bring? Besides there's been many scientific breakthroughs over the centuries, I'm not implying that it will happen but it might. But i suppose even if we were to put data in pokeballs and have them spawn matter, i think things like war machines and buildings would be a more common thing to do...

But even if it fails to happen, I'm sure gaming would be extremely realistic/advanced at that point. Pokemon might as well become a virtual simulation game! that be something, but then again a virtual simulation kit sounds expensive from this point of time.

Nonetheless, the idea of real Pokemon always fires up my imagination.

Years
  • Interesting idea, but I doubt it will ever happen. Deconstructing and reconstructing molecules to data and back is...impossible as of now, and probably forever. How would you construct a person or animal, memories, thoughts, and their physical being into something computer generated?

Hero of Twilight

Rest in Peace Iwata.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    usually the pokemon transforms into light before going in/coming out of a pokeball. i don't think that would be possible in real life, but it's an interesting thought

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Energy is energy and matter is energy too. It's all just particles which consists of even smaller particles. One day when we understand this, we'll be able to to things only seen in sci-fi movies, or in anime. That's what I want to believe in because then it's more fun to live in our world :3

I've always preferred the idea of pokémon being stored as data or energy of some sort inside pokéballs too. It makes sense, I mean, you can store them in a computer (in the games at least; I suppose in the anime you just use the network to send them to some physical place, like Oak's lab) and they do come out as light beams in the anime. In the games and PokéSpe manga however, I believe it looks more like they just shrink when they go into a pokéball and enlargen when they come out from it. But I digress, this wasn't a topic on how pokéballs worked, haha.

I don't know if we'll ever see capsules that can store physical objects or living beings inside them at a reduced size. But as I said earlier, I do want to live my life believing that we'll get there one day. Perhaps not storing living creatures in them, but dead objects for easier transportation!

Guest123_x1

I doubt we'll ever see anything in the real world that works like a PokéBall within our lifetimes. For one thing, it'd take a whole lot of engineering power to create something that can turn living things into vaporized energy fields for storage in something much smaller than the creature it's storing, only for the creature to come back out fully intact as before. Heck, it just might be one of those impossible things.

Years
  • I also believe that the pokeball technology will become real someday but I'm not sure if they would work the way we know.

If a pokeball would work in the way we know it must capture a living being.
    So how can this work?
    Maybe it could disassemble a living being into particles. This would be plausible as long as there is a way to disassemble something, contain it and recreate it into it's original form, without damaging the DNA. It's not impossible but difficult to realize it.

I don't know how to shrink a living being and return it again, but besides that I would find it horrible to capture something with a mind into metallic ball.

But what is if there are way more options that we just can't imagine because we don't know it yet?

Maybe a pokeball would work as a portable teleporting system. So you don't capture something, you just send it to a receiving system. Maybe the science find out a way to send a living being without disassembling it or maybe they find out to warp space.

I guess it's all a question of time and money. Time for researching all we have to know for this and money to realize this big project. But this is a gap in the market so I believe that someone will grab this chance. So this won't be that difficult like most people might believe.

Years
  • I also believe that the pokeball technology will become real someday but I'm not sure if they would work the way we know.

If a pokeball would work in the way we know it must capture a living being.
    So how can this work?
    Maybe it could disassemble a living being into particles. This would be plausible as long as there is a way to disassemble something, contain it and recreate it into it's original form, without damaging the DNA. It's not impossible but difficult to realize it.

I don't know how to shrink a living being and return it again, but besides that I would find it horrible to capture something with a mind into metallic ball.

But what is if there are way more options that we just can't imagine because we don't know it yet?

Maybe a pokeball would work as a portable teleporting system. So you don't capture something, you just send it to a receiving system. Maybe the science find out a way to send a living being without disassembling it or maybe they find out to warp space.

I guess it's all a question of time and money. Time for researching all we have to know for this and money to realize this big project. But this is a gap in the market so I believe that someone will grab this chance. So this won't be that difficult like most people might believe.
    While this isn't that old of a thread, anything that hasn't been posted in within the last 30 days is considered dead, and should be made into a new thread instead if you'd like to continue discussing it. Since you're new here and still learning the ropes, I'll leave this open since I still think it could be a good discussion, but for future reference 12TF, threads will be locked in the future if you post in them past the 30 day limit. Thanks!

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I read an article a while back about breaking down things atom by atom and then transporting them.

It would probably only work for small inanimate objects.

Anything too large would take ridiculous amounts of energy to transport (say a human or animal) and even if it was possible you wouldn't want to do it.

You'd be effectively killing whatever you put in the pokeball and then cloning/recreating it when you released it.

Now there's a scary thought for Pokémon, and just in time for Halloween.

Years
  • Hello pokemon fans! (especially those of you who like theories)
    I have actually been doing some research on this, and here comes a long paragraph...

Some of you said that a pokemon would be turned into energy, and some of you said they would be turned into data... But the reality of my theory is, you're all right. For a pokeball to even come close to realistic, you would need the data to store the genetic makeup of the pokemon, and the energy to recreate it, although some of you probably knew that. But for a pokeball to become realistic, we would need all the space we could get, because we would literally need to install a supercomputer into this thing, so pokeballs being hollow is bull crap. Luckily, with computers becoming smaller and smaller, we will eventually be able to fit one inside. Keep in mind that this would be pretty impressive, though, because we're talking about HUNDREDS of terabytes here. That's right, terabytes. For those of you who don't know how much a terabyte is, that's one MILLION megabytes. The most impressive cell phones can only hold a couple hundred megabytes. So now that we covered that, let's talk about the energy source. This could work one of two ways: One is a substance i learned about while watching a video on a realistic lightsaber, a substance that is small but packs a TON of energy. Two, is wireless energy. This is theoretically infinite energy, but it doesn't give you as much power at one time. A problem with storing pokemon that I forgot to mention is the way dna is made up: with two chemicals that can't be created out of energy. Luckily for us, cells only have so much DNA in them, and we could probably find a way to compact those substances small enough so that it fits with room to spare, since we need all the room we can get. Also, with this amount of space, it is impossible for pokeballs to shrink. It would be more convienent, but it is impractical and would take too much time and money.

Phew! This is a complicated videogame item, to say the least. I will give you more tomorrow on my theory!
    (P.s. for the people who just skipped to the end, this just contains all the scientific stuff about a pokeball. Well, part of it. I will have to continue this later.)

Years
  • Hello pokemon fans! (especially those of you who like theories)
    I have actually been doing some research on this, and here comes a long paragraph...

Some of you said that a pokemon would be turned into energy, and some of you said they would be turned into data... But the reality of my theory is, you're all right. For a pokeball to even come close to realistic, you would need the data to store the genetic makeup of the pokemon, and the energy to recreate it, although some of you probably knew that. But for a pokeball to become realistic, we would need all the space we could get, because we would literally need to install a supercomputer into this thing, so pokeballs being hollow is bull crap. Luckily, with computers becoming smaller and smaller, we will eventually be able to fit one inside. Keep in mind that this would be pretty impressive, though, because we're talking about HUNDREDS of terabytes here. That's right, terabytes. For those of you who don't know how much a terabyte is, that's one MILLION megabytes. The most impressive cell phones can only hold a couple hundred megabytes. So now that we covered that, let's talk about the energy source. This could work one of two ways: One is a substance i learned about while watching a video on a realistic lightsaber, a substance that is small but packs a TON of energy. Two, is wireless energy. This is theoretically infinite energy, but it doesn't give you as much power at one time. A problem with storing pokemon that I forgot to mention is the way dna is made up: with two chemicals that can't be created out of energy. Luckily for us, cells only have so much DNA in them, and we could probably find a way to compact those substances small enough so that it fits with room to spare, since we need all the room we can get. Also, with this amount of space, it is impossible for pokeballs to shrink. It would be more convienent, but it is impractical and would take too much time and money.

Phew! This is a complicated videogame item, to say the least. I will give you more tomorrow on my theory!
    (P.s. for the people who just skipped to the end, this just contains all the scientific stuff about a pokeball. Well, part of it. I will have to continue this later.)
    Hi there rollerman, and welcome to PC! Don't know if you missed it, but two posts right above yours, I explained that any thread that hasn't been posted in for over 30 days is considered dead, and it was nearly 7 months since the last post here. If you'd like to continue discussing this topic (and judging by your post, it looks like you would), feel free to make a new thread instead! That way, we'll be getting some fresh discussion, and anyone that responded previously can chime in again if they'd like! I'm going to have to close this thread, but thanks for understanding, and I'm looking forward to what else you have to say.

CLOSED.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back