• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Into the Doubles fray

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    So I sorta threw together a Doubles team for (unranked) Battle Spot yesterday and it actually seemed to work out ok. Could probably use improvement, so hopefully y'all can help me with that. The team right now is:

Into the Doubles fray

Mega Gardevoir w/Gardevoirite
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Trace--->Pixilate
    EVs: 24 Defense, 232 Sp.Attack, 252 Speed
    Moves: Hyper Voice, Psyshock, Focus Blast, Protect

Probably one of the most common pokes in doubles right now, Garde is nice with it's ability to ignore screens/subs, hitting both opposing pokes, and getting good neutral coverage. I know that Telepathy is the better ability here for doubles, but screw breeding and training another Gardevoir. At least I have Protect (and I wanna use it for Singles too).

Into the Doubles fray

Garchomp w/Yache Berry
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Rough Skin
    EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Sp.Defense
    Moves: Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Stone Edge, Protect

Another commonly used poke, but hey, I like Chomp, Chomp is good, seig heil Garchomp.

Into the Doubles fray

Kyurem w/Choice Scarf
    Nature: Hasty
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 252 Sp.Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Attack
    Moves: Glaciate, Dragon Pulse, Earth Power, Flash Cannon

This is what I believe to be a critical component of the team. Stall isn't really a thing in doubles afaik, so most teams, including this one, tend to be offense. Glaciate's speed-cutting effect is invaluable to Garde, Garchomp, etc, whose Speed isn't as fast as what it used to be. Lots of threats are less threatening after getting their Speed lowered. I also think that no one excepts this shit either lol. Choice Scarf is necessary to get the Glaciate in before the enemy can move; outspeeds Mega Lop.

Into the Doubles fray

Gyarados w/Leftovers
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 156 HP, 72 Attack, 96 Defense, 180 Sp.Defense, 4 Speed
    Moves: Waterfall, Bounce, Ice Fang, Dragon Dance

Intimidate is a hella useful ability, making physical threats less threatening without even having to do anything. Gyarados also has a nice typing, being immune to Earthquake, resisting Surf, and resisting other stuff like Fighting, all with decent bulk and Dragon Dance.

....I am aware that that is an old EV spread, and one meant for singles at that.

Into the Doubles fray

Amoonguss w/Black Sludge
    Nature: Calm
    Ability: Effect Spore
    EVs: 252 HP, 184 Defense, 72 Sp.Defense
    Moves: Giga Drain, Spore, Protect, Rage Powder

The team's utility 'mon. I think you get what this does. Has nice resistances to Fairy, Water, Electric.

Into the Doubles fray

Infernape w/Life Orb
    Nature: Hasty
    Ability: Iron Fist
    EVs: 176 Attack, 80 Sp.Attack, 252 Speed (something like that)
    Moves: Fire Blast, Close Combat, Grass Knot, Thunder Punch

Needed something to give me some more coverage, MixApe sounded nice, since Fire/Fighting are great offensively.

So there you go. Open to suggestions and stuff. I would also very much like to hear for alternatives to Kyurem, stuff with Icy Wind, since Kyurem is banned from ranked Battle Spot battles because Game Freak/TPC is lame.

Last edited:

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • Looks like you can handle mega kanga, zard Y, Sableye, and mawile fine with a mix of that stuff providing the right mons are out at the time, only immediate thing I can see being a bother is good ol' Talonflame, harassing your utility and infernape - but it wouldn't really bother garchomp or gyarados I don't think. Mega Slowbro... I don't think is so much of a thing in doubles, and it'd probably lose a 2 v 2 stand off providing you had either amoongus or infernape handy.

If you wanted an alternative to Kyruem, erm. Well, it's not really the same role, because it's slow and not really offensive; but it IS super bulky and plays well with some other mons on your team, Alomomola? I know, 2 electric weaknesses - but you do have Garchomp, and Amoonguss can redirect Grass and Electric attacks for almost nothing to itself for Alomomola. Alomomola gets Icy Wind, as well as Wide Guard to back up a teammate who doesn't want an earthquake / rock slide / occasional Zapdos Discharge or something. It also has Scald to prevent taunt bait and potentially burn, and helping hand for all those other offensive mons.

That Kyurem set tho - lol so true- I don't think anybody will be expecting that.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Just one thing. That Gyarados set works a lot better with Sub instead of Ice Fang. It gives you more room to use Dragon Dance. But yes, It's a single moveset.

About Kyurem... You could use Keldeo maybe?
    Unfortunately Keldeo is also banned in ranked Battle Spot battles.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • Heat Wave is to Fire Blast as Rock Slide is to Stone Edge in Doubles. It has a higher hit percentage and will hit both of your opponents. I run it on my Nasty Plot Ape and it's a killer addition to the set. Just something to consider.

Since Kyurem, Garchomp, and Gardy make a nice offensive core, I'd recommend running either a Utility set on your Gyarados or a different Support Pokemon. I like to use Eeveelutions myself and I have a really similar setup (sans Amoongus). Umbreon would support Gardevoir well and Vaporeon does nicely to support Dragons, especially Garchomp. Flareon would also do nicely for both, but I'm still hammering out a good set for it as it shines more brightly in singles than doubles.

Into the Doubles fray

Gyarados @ Sitrus Berry
    EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Taunt
    - Waterfall
    - Protect
    - Thunder Wave

Into the Doubles fray

Umbreon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Synchronize
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Wish
    - Toxic
    - Protect
    - Foul Play

Into the Doubles fray

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Water Absorb
    EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - Scald
    - Acid Armor or Toxic

Vaporeon in particular is a behemoth and outwalls things that it shouldn't (like Lugia and Giratina), at least in my experience.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Heat Wave is to Fire Blast as Rock Slide is to Stone Edge in Doubles. It has a higher hit percentage and will hit both of your opponents. I run it on my Nasty Plot Ape and it's a killer addition to the set. Just something to consider.

Since Kyurem, Garchomp, and Gardy make a nice offensive core, I'd recommend running either a Utility set on your Gyarados or a different Support Pokemon. I like to use Eeveelutions myself and I have a really similar setup (sans Amoongus). Umbreon would support Gardevoir well and Vaporeon does nicely to support Dragons, especially Garchomp. Flareon would also do nicely for both, but I'm still hammering out a good set for it as it shines more brightly in singles than doubles.

Into the Doubles fray

Gyarados @ Sitrus Berry
    EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Taunt
    - Waterfall
    - Protect
    - Thunder Wave
    I really do like Gyarados's ability and typing, so that set is nice (I could use to breed a new one anyway). Funnily enough it gets Icy Wind as a move tutor move, so that could even open up Kyurem's slot to something else in rating battles.....if I knew what to put there.

Back