• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
It shouldn't be a problem. Did you forget to fill out the other stuff...I forget exactly what but check out an existing map connection, I think there's an unknown you have to put for them all to work.
Okay, thanks,, I guess I'll take another look into it. Also, I wanted to know if there was a way to make the tileset bigger? Because everytime I saive a tileset to add to it, its 120 something, I beleive, by 320, and when I got to insert it like that after working on it, it says the 320 has to be at the most 192, which severely limits me. Is there any way I can make that limit bigger?

Years
  • Seen Sep 21, 2012
Hi, i have one question.
In fire red on 6 sevii island in ruin valley are doors which can open using cut attack, and there is a question, how it work, and can i make my own script, which will work same or similarly, for example: change cut attack for dig attack. Thanks in advance.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Hi, i have one question.
In fire red on 6 sevii island in ruin valley are doors which can open using cut attack, and there is a question, how it work, and can i make my own script, which will work same or similarly, for example: change cut attack for dig attack. Thanks in advance.

I've done alot of research on this, but I'm forced to conclude that this function is part of the cut ASM itself. Whenever you open the Pokemon menu and select "cut", it most likely checks if the object in front of the player is that closed door, and if it is, open it, otherwise, check in its a tree, and if it is, cut it, otherwise, end.

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2012
Pokemon Platinum Rom hacker

Okay I asked this before but it got completely ignored. I want to be able to

Completely change Sprites (into ones I made)
Change Text
Change Pokemon Sprites.
Change Trainer Sprites
Change Pokemon Name, Evolutions, abilities etc.
Change Music

All the answers I've found were to Pokemon FRLG or SRE But I need a rom hacking program that would do this to Platinum. I looked into PPRE but it doesn't change Music or Sprites.

Please this is my last hope, I asked on so many other forums and got no replies.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Okay I asked this before but it got completely ignored. I want to be able to

Completely change Sprites (into ones I made)
Change Text
Change Pokemon Sprites.
Change Trainer Sprites
Change Pokemon Name, Evolutions, abilities etc.
Change Music

All the answers I've found were to Pokemon FRLG or SRE But I need a rom hacking program that would do this to Platinum. I looked into PPRE but it doesn't change Music or Sprites.

Please this is my last hope, I asked on so many other forums and got no replies.
Time to begin rom hacking yourself and not to rely on game-specific tools others have made. What you're asking here is practically impossible for a beginner to do but there are some hackers around who I believe have accomplished doing the things you mentioned so go to look around and see what you can find.

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2013
Hello,

I am currently learning scripting (on Fire Red), and despite tutorials I can't find an answer to the following question : I get it (because I found a list of flags used by the game) that I can't set flags randomly ... But from my experiments, it seems to work to same for variables, and I can't find anywhere a list of variables used by the game ... is there any I would have missed ?

For the story (and maybe to make it a little clearer for you people, too), I was checking the game's scripts to figure out how the first battle against the rival was handled in Oak's Laboratory, especially how to prevent the green squares with a "S" in them (in Advance Map) to trigger the rival battle over and over again. At that time I only knew the "flag technique" to make something disappear from the map, but I couldn't find any setflag to do the trick ...
Through experiments I discovered that some setvar play was actually doing the job ... ! In that case, it's the variable n°4055, the value to trigger the battle being 3, so in the end the value is 4 to prevent the first rival battle from repeating itself. But in some other map, I lowered the value to 3 and went back to Laboratory ... and (as I feared) the battle is triggered again !
So here is my question (again) : the same way that flags do, variables' values seem to carry over from map to map if they're not cleared ... and it may become a cause of bugs since I don't plan to make a hack from scratches. So, is there anywhere a list of variables used by the game ? Or do I have to go through all the game's scripts to find out ?

Thanks in advance for the help (and my apologizes if I made mistakes, I'm French).

redriders180

Years
Hello,

I am currently learning scripting (on Fire Red), and despite tutorials I can't find an answer to the following question : I get it (because I found a list of flags used by the game) that I can't set flags randomly ... But from my experiments, it seems to work to same for variables, and I can't find anywhere a list of variables used by the game ... is there any I would have missed ?

For the story (and maybe to make it a little clearer for you people, too), I was checking the game's scripts to figure out how the first battle against the rival was handled in Oak's Laboratory, especially how to prevent the green squares with a "S" in them (in Advance Map) to trigger the rival battle over and over again. At that time I only knew the "flag technique" to make something disappear from the map, but I couldn't find any setflag to do the trick ...
Through experiments I discovered that some setvar play was actually doing the job ... ! In that case, it's the variable n°4055, the value to trigger the battle being 3, so in the end the value is 4 to prevent the first rival battle from repeating itself. But in some other map, I lowered the value to 3 and went back to Laboratory ... and (as I feared) the battle is triggered again !
So here is my question (again) : the same way that flags do, variables' values seem to carry over from map to map if they're not cleared ... and it may become a cause of bugs since I don't plan to make a hack from scratches. So, is there anywhere a list of variables used by the game ? Or do I have to go through all the game's scripts to find out ?

Thanks in advance for the help (and my apologizes if I made mistakes, I'm French).

I believe this is what you want...A complete list of all the variables used in Firered, at least in scripts, courtesy of DavidJCobb.

What you've stumbled on is actually one of the best things a hacker could ask for...the ability to control scripts without using any flags. Some people will use this to make almost every script in their hack run on a single variable, freeing the other 254 or so variables for other uses. They manage to do this by making every script increment the variable by one, and since variables are two bytes, this means you can have 65,535 script events from one variable, way more than can be done with flags.

Good Luck!

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2013
Exactly what I needed, thank you very much redriders180 and DavidJCobb (and sorry I couldn't find that post myself... ) !!

But, um, I'm very new to the world of hacking, and your answer brings up questions...
When you say it would free "254 or so variables", I understand that there is a limit to the number of variables you can add... How come ? Is that a problem with the size of the ROM that would cause a problem when patching with the hack ? And, in the same fashion, is there a limit to the number of flags too ?

And last question, where does that "65.535" come from ?

You suddenly made me all nervous about ROM-space management... Though I shouldn't, when I see those great hacks allowing to visit more than a single region...

redriders180

Years
Exactly what I needed, thank you very much redriders180 and DavidJCobb (and sorry I couldn't find that post myself... ) !!

But, um, I'm very new to the world of hacking, and your answer brings up questions...
When you say it would free "254 or so variables", I understand that there is a limit to the number of variables you can add... How come ? Is that a problem with the size of the ROM that would cause a problem when patching with the hack ? And, in the same fashion, is there a limit to the number of flags too ?

And last question, where does that "65.535" come from ?

You suddenly made me all nervous about ROM-space management... Though I shouldn't, when I see those great hacks allowing to visit more than a single region...

There is a limit to both flags and variables...I don't know the limit off the top of my head, but it's generally good practice to use the range of flags and variables used by the original: i.e., only use flags and variables on that list. I believe that the usable variables are something like 0x4000 to 0x40FF, and once you go higher than that, you'll start overwriting Pokemon info from the box; you'd put in a Horsea, and it might be deleted, or turned into something else entirely!

It's actually not the size of the ROM that does this...rather, it's the size of the RAM, or basically the memory of the game. The RAM in Pokemon games is already stretched to near-capacity, because it needs to hold data on whatever six Pokemon you have, and whatever 420 Pokemon you may have in any given box, in addition to other things, such as your name, position, rival's name, amount of money, etc.

For a beginner, the best thing to do is to work within the limits. From what I know, JPAN has created an ASM routine that can expand the saveable RAM, to allow for many more flags or variables, but it's a complicated ordeal.

I said earlier that a variable is two bytes. One byte is 0xFF...or 255, in decimal. Two bytes is 0xFFFF, which is 65,535 in decimal.

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2013
Thanks for the explanations, it makes more sense now. As for me, I don't plan on recreating a whole new game right now with so little knowledge, I'll keep the original game and add stuff to it. So I guess I'm just gonna be careful and clear flags and variables when I no longer need them, etc.

There are indeed limits, but not that limiting, you can work around those, am I right ? Otherwise, people couldn't provide hacks that allow players to visit several regions...

redriders180

Years
Thanks for the explanations, it makes more sense now. As for me, I don't plan on recreating a whole new game right now with so little knowledge, I'll keep the original game and add stuff to it. So I guess I'm just gonna be careful and clear flags and variables when I no longer need them, etc.

There are indeed limits, but not that limiting, you can work around those, am I right ? Otherwise, people couldn't provide hacks that allow players to visit several regions...

They are in fact limiting. The GBA doesn't have infinite memory...far from it. There's only so much space the GBA has, and that space is basically what you have to work with, so there's no way to simply add more flags.

People who make multi-region hacks must be very careful with allocating their flags and variables, because of these limitations.

Don't forget, there's still ALOT of flags (something like 2,000, I think) so you won't be hard-pressed unless you plan on going absolutely crazy with flags.

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
I don't know if this would go in the script help thread, but I want to know if this is possible. I want another character to have their pkmn use fly and take the player to another location, and during the fly sequence, I want to pause or delay the faded screen from fly and have a message appear, as if they were talking while flying.
for example:
player is with blue, blue does the "pkmn uses HM movement", and the animation of using fly happens while taking blue and the player.
then the screen stays black as a message sequence happens, so blue is speaking while flying the player.
After the message ends, the landing part of the fly sequence happens and blue and the player appear in a new location.
Doable?

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
I have an odd problem. For some reason, when I try to surf, my game (FR) restarts itself. Everything goes normally until right after the pokemon animation bar, which is when it restarts.

I have no clue what could be causing my game to do this. Anyone know what's going on here?

surfer treecko

help, how do I...?
Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2016
For whatever reason, when I use the move in Mist Ball's slot (Hurricane in this case) the animation plays without the textbox appearing and the "x used y!" message turning up, and the battle progresses no further. Aside from changing the name and move effects with Move Editor, I have not edited Mist Ball. Does anybody know why this happens, and how I can fix it?

I'd post a picture, but apparently I don't have high enough post count. :/

redriders180

Years
I don't know if this would go in the script help thread, but I want to know if this is possible. I want another character to have their pkmn use fly and take the player to another location, and during the fly sequence, I want to pause or delay the faded screen from fly and have a message appear, as if they were talking while flying.
for example:
player is with blue, blue does the "pkmn uses HM movement", and the animation of using fly happens while taking blue and the player.
then the screen stays black as a message sequence happens, so blue is speaking while flying the player.
After the message ends, the landing part of the fly sequence happens and blue and the player appear in a new location.
Doable?

It is in fact doable, or at least, fake-able. This is key:
Code:
setanimation 0x0 0x1
doanimation 0x1E
This will play the "Fly-Pokemon-Swooping-Down" animation. So, to do what you want, you'd need to do something like this:

1. Make a msgbox with Blue commanding someone to fly
2. Display the swooping Pokemon, and hide both you and Blue
3. Use the warp command to go to a different map, filled with black tiles
4. Have a level script to the talking part
5. Warp again to the next map
6. Use the swooping Pokemon animation to look like you're landing, in another level script
7. Continue.

I have an odd problem. For some reason, when I try to surf, my game (FR) restarts itself. Everything goes normally until right after the pokemon animation bar, which is when it restarts.

I have no clue what could be causing my game to do this. Anyone know what's going on here?

From the way it sounds, it seems like your game is hitting a loop or a road block when trying to display either the surfing Wailmer sprite or you in surfing mode, which the emulator handles by restarting. Are you using JPAN's engine? If it does, I'd make sure you're avoiding using variables 0x4054 to 0x4059, which are responsible for hero switching, and have given me problems when I use them.

RetroRoller

Trailer Trash
Years
It's possible that you accidentally overwrote part of apostrophe image. The images are uncompressed, and can be found only in TileMolestor, since the text is 2BPP, and imaging programs like NSE only do 4 and 8 BPP. I don't have the offset on-hand, but I think there are tutorials that discuss changing the font that have it.

Yup, I did - I found a font tutorial and found some transparent/error palette pixels above the apostrophe image.

Thanks.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
redriders180 said:
From the way it sounds, it seems like your game is hitting a loop or a road block when trying to display either the surfing Wailmer sprite or you in surfing mode, which the emulator handles by restarting. Are you using JPAN's engine? If it does, I'd make sure you're avoiding using variables 0x4054 to 0x4059, which are responsible for hero switching, and have given me problems when I use them.

Thanks for helping, redriders180! I am indeed using JPAN's engine, but not in its entirety, just specific hacks applied with the hack applier. One of those hacks is the overworld switching one, and I have it written in my notes that I set it to use variables 0x4054 to 0x4059. But I haven't used any of those variables in my game thus far.... What should I do? Would removing the overworld hack from my game (if possible) help?

Thanks again for the help!

edit: I just applied the overworld hack in the same manner as I did on my other rom, then tried to surf, and the game restarted! So this confirms that the problem lies in this hack.

Last edited:

thechurchofcage

a.k.a. The Cancer Fairy
Years
  • Age 54
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
OK, I'm going to try with my questions again!

1) Does anybody know of an Egg move editor besides FinalZero's? That is irritating to use and doesn't work with my modified Emerald ROM for some reason (unless Pelipper can learn actually learn Flamethrower, that is, or Wynaut can learn anything).
2) How can I add new trainers without it messing up my ROM? I added one new trainer to Emerald with HackMew's A-Trainer (Youngster Billy) and put him on Route 101. Everything works fine, except when I battle him, he's called 'Youngster ??????' in battle and every other Trainer's name either disappears (e.g. it says 'YOUNGSTER wants to battle!') or gives me a very long list of glitch characters and then resets the game.
3) Does anybody know the offsets to the ASM routines or whatever to the Pokémon animations in Emerald? I don't need to know how to access or modify them, just to identify them and maybe copy-paste them onto other Pokémon.

Thanks!

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Thanks for helping, redriders180! I am indeed using JPAN's engine, but not in its entirety, just specific hacks applied with the hack applier. One of those hacks is the overworld switching one, and I have it written in my notes that I set it to use variables 0x4054 to 0x4059. But I haven't used any of those variables in my game thus far.... What should I do? Would removing the overworld hack from my game (if possible) help?

Thanks again for the help!

edit: I just applied the overworld hack in the same manner as I did on my other rom, then tried to surf, and the game restarted! So this confirms that the problem lies in this hack.
Now that you've patched the "overworld hack" to an umodified rom, create another patch to remove it. You can simply use Lunar Ips and use the rom the hack is applied to as Unmodifed rom and the clean rom as Modified rom. Then the program creates the patch file so that it changes the data back to normal when applied to your hack.

Also if the ips-file is checked with a hex editor, you can see what it actually writes and where and find how it's causing the bug that way. May be a bit too complicated though but I was to use that hack and see if it really works, I'd go for it.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
miksy91 said:
Now that you've patched the "overworld hack" to an umodified rom, create another patch to remove it. You can simply use Lunar Ips and use the rom the hack is applied to as Unmodifed rom and the clean rom as Modified rom. Then the program creates the patch file so that it changes the data back to normal when applied to your hack.

I should have mentioned that the rom I want to fix is my hack that I am currently working on, which has a bunch of other stuff implemented. Won't patching it with this fix overwrite the stuff I have done? Obviously, I don't want that.

Also if the ips-file is checked with a hex editor, you can see what it actually writes and where and find how it's causing the bug that way. May be a bit too complicated though but I was to use that hack and see if it really works, I'd go for it.

Your wording here is a bit confusing...but I think I get the overall gist. I'll give this a shot. Thanks.

---

I did another test with this hack, and I discovered that while I can't surf with what is implemented through the hack applier, surf still works if JPAN's ENTIRE engine is patched to the rom. Does anybody know why this might be? The reason I ask is because I still very much would like the overworld hack to be a part of my hack, if possible.

To me it seems like there is a discrepancy between what the applier patches and what the patch patches. Does anyone know where (or how I might find) the data for the overworld hack in an engine-patched rom? If I could get that data and move it to my hack (overwriting what the applier put) that might solve this problem.

Thanks for any help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back