• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why Do People Still Use Regular Charizard?

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2020
    They should make the most of the regular Charizard. They should give Charizard items like leftovers, charti berry, etc.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • I have a better question: why does anyone use a Pokemon that's not in the Overused/Uber tier?

The answer should be obvious. They just like using that Pokemon and battling with it, tiers be damned. Charizard suffers from a lot of weaknesses on its own, but people will still use it simply because they love using it.

Years
  • I dont play competitive and I assume this question has to do with it because there is literally no need for charizard mega evo in the story as its so easy. But ive seen plenty of people do just fine with it as a non mega evo on competitive battles so why not? Isnt half the fun of competitive coming up with solutions to the standard teams?

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • It's funny that they use regular Charizard when it has 2 mega evolution.

Do you mean in competitive battling, or in ORAS? In ORAS, you can't get a Charizard by any means other than trading, so I'm assuming you mean competitively. Either way though, I'm going to move this over to Battling & Team Building, as that's the best place to discuss anything team building related.

Addressing your question, while non-mega Charizard isn't as strong as either of its Megas, it could still fill some role that someone needs on their team. Perhaps, for one reason or another, they need a Fire/Flying-type on their team, but their Mega slot is already filled by something else (remember that you can only Mega Evolve once per battle). Alternatively, maybe they'd prefer to have Solar Power or Blaze as an ability? There are a myriad of reasons one could choose non-mega Charizard over its Mega counterparts.

Edit: Moved to Battling & Team Building.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2020
    Oops, I was looking at some noobs teams. Unless they accidentally use Mega Lucario.
    I can use Solar Power Charizard for the story mode and I can think of a good naturing and moveset.

Some noobs don't even care about natures Imagine an Impish Charizard that knows Flamethrower and Fly with mixed Effort Points.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Do you mean in competitive battling, or in ORAS? In ORAS, you can't get a Charizard by any means other than trading, so I'm assuming you mean competitively. Either way though, I'm going to move this over to Battling & Team Building, as that's the best place to discuss anything team building related.

Addressing your question, while non-mega Charizard isn't as strong as either of its Megas, it could still fill some role that someone needs on their team. Perhaps, for one reason or another, they need a Fire/Flying-type on their team, but their Mega slot is already filled by something else (remember that you can only Mega Evolve once per battle). Alternatively, maybe they'd prefer to have Solar Power or Blaze as an ability? There are a myriad of reasons one could choose non-mega Charizard over its Mega counterparts.

Edit: Moved to Battling & Team Building.
    If your Mega slot is already taken up and you need a Fire/Flying Pokemon, why not just use Talonflame for its priority Brave Birds?

Anyway, regular Charizard isn't worth using because its Mega forms completely outclass it. Charizard X has a superior defensive typing, meaning it's no longer 4x weak to Stealth Rock and has a better set of resistances. Charizard Y suffers from the same problems as the base form, but it's insanely strong with Drought-powered Fire attacks. Then again, some people don't really battle competitively and just use regular Charizard for the heck of it, whether it's their favorite and/or don't like its Mega Evolutions for one reason or another.

Years
  • Charizard dropped to UU this month, so using it will become quite a bit more justifiable.

2Fruit

Aka 2Fruit
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2019
    Well, Charizard used to use a bellyzard set alot. You'd set up a substitute when people switch out, and then belly drum down to activate a salac berry, blaze, and max attack. It's rarely run today because priority is so common.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Hi there. I recommend giving it the super secret move combo of Belly Drum and Salac Berry and Double-Edge. It will serve you well and you can kill yourself to get speed boosts! Trust me you will sweep all the Blisseys and even the Cloyster! I have won many battles this way, remember to bring super potions though and you can even do this twice in one battle!

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    If your Mega slot is already taken up and you need a Fire/Flying Pokemon, why not just use Talonflame for its priority Brave Birds?

Anyway, regular Charizard isn't worth using because its Mega forms completely outclass it. Charizard X has a superior defensive typing, meaning it's no longer 4x weak to Stealth Rock and has a better set of resistances. Charizard Y suffers from the same problems as the base form, but it's insanely strong with Drought-powered Fire attacks. Then again, some people don't really battle competitively and just use regular Charizard for the heck of it, whether it's their favorite and/or don't like its Mega Evolutions for one reason or another.

I could have sworn I read him say that he meant for the story not competitive I haven't seen one charizard in competitive on showdown and mostly it's noobs who run around with it and battles against people in game.

Years
  • Well, Charizard used to use a bellyzard set alot. You'd set up a substitute when people switch out, and then belly drum down to activate a salac berry, blaze, and max attack. It's rarely run today because priority is so common.

Stealth Rock also shits on Bellyzard.

Drake.

WORK MAKES YOU FREE
    Years
  • I use regular charizard mainly because I don't like megas and charizard is one of my favorite pokemon. I run a specs set and it's pretty bad in OU battles, but it's worth it when I can get a couple knockouts despite the fact that it gets destroyed relatively easily.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2020
    What I don't like about regular Charizard is that noobs are doing a bad job of it. I'm not going to use noobish ones. My regular Charizard should have controlled Naturing, Ability, Moves and EVs.

Years
    • Age 31
    • He/Him
    • Ohio
    • Seen Dec 12, 2020
    I mean who wouldn't want to use me in a battle? I know I have two mega forms, but I can STILL be useful in my regular form :]

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    On a more serious note, ive seen normal non mega Solar Power Zard on a sun tam that got to #1 which already had its mega slot taken (by i think Altaria) as a nice breaking core with Venu and obv's Ninetales for the sun.

Back