• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What starter (or starters) do you think Ash will get in Alola?

Years
  • We cannot say with absolute certainty that Ash is even going to Alola, especially when, for all we know, they may just retire Ash simply because of XY's horrible ratings, bad movie sales, and poor merchandising sales (Anime may survive bad ratings, but there's little chance at survival if they also have bad merchandising sales and bad movie sales, and believe me, if one of their movies did so terribly it made even Pokémon Heroes look like a smash hit, you KNOW they did bad), and that's even assuming they're even going to actually HAVE an anime for Sun and Moon at all, instead of just cancelling the anime outright due to the reasons listed above (and it's not like a new game entry automatically guarantees a new anime series: DIC stopped doing Mario cartoons since Super Mario World, and besides, even the Pokémon Anime skipped over some games, like Pokémon Ranger or HGSS/ORAS.).

I'm not tired of Ash, but going by what you're saying with how badly XY tanked in regards to ratings, movie performance and merchandise sales, I would definitely be open to the Sun & Moon series being a complete reboot with brand new characters. If we had Brock replaced for BW, maybe we could have Ash finally replaced for this coming saga.

Cancelling the anime would be not good, considering the anime is meant to promote the games (and I mean the main series games that are introducing the new generation) and the only way the anime would get cancelled is if the games were stopped being made.

I wouldn't cancel the idea of Sun & Moon having an anime, it's just that the writers may have reacted to the bad performance XY had and decided massive change was needed, and that change is making a completely new reboot. Sun & Moon are already making huge leaps in how a main series Pokemon game is meant to be, such as fully proportional overworld sprites and the possibility of the PC going portable.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • The anime isn't going to get canceled. It is still getting at least 1 millions views in the US. I am honestly really tired of your dooms day crap about the series ending when there is no indications. Especially with how much popularity Pokemon is gaining once again. All you are is a genwunners who honestly just comes in to complain about every single little detail because you hate everything new. The 6th gen anime has hit home runs in feedback. It is still doing well.

Ash may be replaced, but I am at my doubts. I wouldn't mind. But they aren't going to cancel the show.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Does anyone noticed that Bird starter always goes to female protaonist ?
    Example : Dawn/pipup and May/Torchic.
    So Rowlet might end up with the female protagonist of Alola.

Litten is definitely the right pokemon for Ash.
    It would be cool for Ash to catch a Tsundere Litten that often hides its feeling and tries to act logical.

Years
  • Does anyone noticed that Bird starter always goes to female protaonist ?
    Example : Dawn/pipup and May/Torchic.
    So Rowlet might end up with the female protagonist of Alola.

It's definitely an interesting trend with bird-based starters being owned by female leads, Serena is currently the only female lead who started as a rookie to not get a bird-based starter but if the Alola saga's female lead gets Rowlet it'll also mean the first time the female lead (as in, the ones who were starting trainers) has owned the Grass starter, and the first female lead to own a Grass-type since May with her Venusaur. Bulbasaur is coincidentally the only other unevolved stage starter that is dual-typed.

I also saw a lot of fanart showing the female protagonist with Rowlet so it wouldn't be surprising if that were the case.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    It's definitely an interesting trend with bird-based starters being owned by female leads, Serena is currently the only female lead who started as a rookie to not get a bird-based starter but if the Alola saga's female lead gets Rowlet it'll also mean the first time the female lead (as in, the ones who were starting trainers) has owned the Grass starter, and the first female lead to own a Grass-type since May with her Venusaur. Bulbasaur is coincidentally the only other unevolved stage starter that is dual-typed.

I also saw a lot of fanart showing the female protagonist with Rowlet so it wouldn't be surprising if that were the case.

If Ash catch all 3 of them then there will be awesome group chemistry .
    Litten can be the serious one of the group while Popelio could be the mischievous one.
    So , This two will often fight with one another due to their opposite nature.
    In fact , Litten and Popelio can be as good Duo as Bulbasaur and Squirtal.
    While , Rowlet could be the oblivious guy of the group who often get lost and end up causing trouble.

Years
  • Please don't give Ash all three again, but the funny thing is the sagas where this happened so far were OS and BW, where Ash's travelling partners were both Gym Leaders. OS had an excuse since no female player existed, and for BW I guess they picked Iris because Hilda looked too old to be an Ash companion.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Please don't give Ash all three again, but the funny thing is the sagas where this happened so far were OS and BW, where Ash's travelling partners were both Gym Leaders. OS had an excuse since no female player existed, and for BW I guess they picked Iris because Hilda looked too old to be an Ash companion.
    You know what would be funny ?
    Fun-loving Ash catchs serious and logical Litten.
    While Ash's Serious and logical rival/companion catch a mischievous Popplio.
    Both trainer end up with Starter that completely opposite of them.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    You know , Popplio seem to be created entirely for Contest.
    Its probably the most perfect starter for a Pokemon coordinator like May or Dawn.

I really want Ash to catch a Litten if its evolves into a Pokemon like Entei.
    Even if Ash has to catch all 3 starter , I'm happy as long as he has a Litten.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2017
    The one with the most disadvantages so far is Rowlet. X4 disadvantage against ice is brutal. But it's also the only dual typing one thus far so it doesn't say much. But the cutest, or rather, the most popular/most likely to sell via merchandising might get the vote. It was a big thing for last generation.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2016
    As for starters if Ash is still in it Popplio FTW. Though I have always wanted Team Rocket to get a starter too myself. Knowing how James likes grass types him getting the grass one would be interesting.

Please don't give Ash all three again, but the funny thing is the sagas where this happened so far were OS and BW, where Ash's travelling partners were both Gym Leaders. OS had an excuse since no female player existed, and for BW I guess they picked Iris because Hilda looked too old to be an Ash companion.

I think it was more due to them trying to do Kanto 2.0 so they wanted two people related to gyms.

I know XY is a bit like AG but at the same time they did not try to redo AG like BW tried to Kanto in the anime sadly.

Elekizer

Lover of Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2016
    Yeah, I think it's Litten too. The other starters based from the anime is more likely to be with the other trainers.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    If Ash does go to Alola, I see him having Litten and Popplio. They could have a love hate relationship like Piplup/Chimchar, Gabite/Piplup, and Cheapen/Pancham... seeing as they are a cat and pup mix. Also, Rowlet seems more fitting for female companion to have. And the story could have Ash's Liten chasing her bird, Rowlet, pokemon.

Do you think they will change art up and have Ash a little older?

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure he'll have Popplio!
    Litten is gonna be his rival's Pokemon.
    Rowlet is gonna be his female partner Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Next year is pokemon anime's 20th anniversary.
    So Writers might start the new series same way original Anime begin , With Ash capturing a Litten that doesn't listen to him like Early Pikachu.
    Specially since Pikachu is a Rat and Litten is a Cat.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • I'm gonna guess he just won't get Litten, seems more fitting for a rival than Ash's personality.
    I can see him with another owl or silly-personality water type :P

Back