• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[News] Final Fantasy XII Remaster Coming in 2017

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years

Titled Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, this game will be an HD remaster of Final Fantasy XII and released in Japan in 2017.

Famitsu reports that the HD version, however, will be based on Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System. Besides revamped character models and cutscenes, the game will feature auto-save, shorter load times, and an improved turbo mode. The score has been re-recorded, but The Zodiac Age will also feature the original soundtrack.

Source

Now, I wasn't the biggest fan of XII, but International Zodiac Job System is easily the greatest of the "international" Final Fantasy entries- I recommend looking up what was changed/added if you haven't- and of them, it really seemed unfortunate that we didn't get this one. Kind of expected, since Square does that with all of its remasters, but nice nonetheless.

Speaking of, this remaster is looking GORGEOUS. Holy hell, this is how you really remaster a game for the modern age: actually making it look like a modern title. And that they're re-recording a still quality, fully orchestrated soundtrack seems...mind bogglingly excessive. But if they get Hamauzu for the new orchestration, I'm totally down. It'd be nice to have both flavors. The only real tragedy is that Vaan's abs are still sprayed on.

So, are you excited to return to Ivalice? Or maybe this will be your first time dipping your toes in the FFXII pool. Either way, share your thoughts!

Last edited:

pkmin3033

IT'S ABOUT TIME.

...seriously, it's an absolute crime that it's taken Square Enix this long to pull their fingers out and do this. I love Final Fantasy XII. It's easily the best mothership FF game in my opinion, and it has galled me ever since FFX and X-2 got the remaster treatment that XII wasn't immediately being promised afterwards. Even worse that a VII remake was announced first! This has been at the top of my wants list for years now. Right at the top.

It's the only mothership FF title I can't play on a current generation console (excluding XI, but come on, that's XI) and the only one I really WANT to play again. I love the soundtrack. I love the Gambit System, and the ability to set my own AI for a change. I love the cast, and the story, and how it isn't derailed by a crappy romance sub-plot. I even like Vaan. Sort of. That it's the Zodiac edition is even better.

I could gush for hours about this and probably triple the length of this post - and I will at some point - but my excitement is literally robbing me of all coherency. I'm actually so happy I could cry right now. I don't say this often, but I am genuinely, overwhelmingly excited. I don't have a single negative thing to say about this. I'm not even going to complain at what is probably going to be at least a year's wait for a release here. Hell, I might even import the Japanese version and then buy the PAL version when it comes out as well. If there's an overpriced special edition I will literally spend hundreds on it. About the only thing I'm NOT going to do is climb on top of the roof and scream "BASCH LIVES!" to the heavens...and that's only because I can't get on top of the roof.

This will probably be my Game of the Year for next year. This is exactly what I wanted. There is no conceivable way Square Enix can screw this up - it's Final Fantasy XII. It harks back to a time that they actually made proper video games. I want this now. NOW.

Let the excitement commence. I am literally not going to shut up about this until I have a copy in my hands, then I'm going to spend months talking about it. ASDFGHJKL;

Last edited:
Years
I haven't played XII yet so this is an exciting announcement for me. The graphics really do look amazing. I can imagine this is exciting for fans of the game as well as it's probably the hardest one to play since IX's Steam release.

Square Enix have continued their recent trend of re-releases/remasters so hopefully we'll get the three XIII games on PS4 soon too (port of the PC version?).

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2017
About time they actually remaster my favorite of the Final Fantasy titles. Geez i'd actually take this over VII. Cant contain hype!!!!! ;-;

Years
So, Vaan's abs still look weird? Don't worry. I am sure SE will have time to fix them. Anyways, kinda was expecting this after FFX remasters came to Steam recently. I haven't played this game at all to be honest and it certainly would be interesting to try out at last.

Years
XII is, uh... not exactly my favorite FF, but it's worth giving another shot so I'll probably get this when it comes out. I wonder if they'll fix the weird compression on the voice audio.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
so long as fran's original voice actor isn't involved in the slightest then we're all good

What I'm worried about however is that they might be spreading themselves too thin with these remakes - I'd rather their full effort be put into their adaptation of VII in order to ensure the reputation of what is essentially their flagship game in the franchise, rather than banking on multiple prospects (I was worried when they initially announced VII while still making XV and I still kinda am) and coming away with sub-par releases.

Years
so long as fran's original voice actor isn't involved in the slightest then we're all good

What I'm worried about however is that they might be spreading themselves too thin with these remakes - I'd rather their full effort be put into their adaptation of VII in order to ensure the reputation of what is essentially their flagship game in the franchise, rather than banking on multiple prospects (I was worried when they initially announced VII while still making XV and I still kinda am) and coming away with sub-par releases.

As it's a remaster, I'm sure they'll just use the dialogue already recorded for the original as they did with X/X-2. It's dual audio if you badly want to avoid Fran's VA though.

I also wouldn't worry too much about them spreading themselves thin, remasters tend to be outsourced to other studios. I'm sure the main developers' focus will be 100% on VII after XV is finished up.

Last edited:

GreenNeonz

LuckyLinoone
Years
I just heard about this the other day. I think it's nice, but doesn't Square Enix have their hands full with FFXV and the FFVII Remake? Not that I'm complaining, I think XII is a great game and should also get a remake, but I'm just worried about how much they're doing at once. I guess this is why they have multiple teams doing separate games, though.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
Years
Dale Cooper is spot-on. There should be little worry of Squeenix spreading their workforce thin. There's close to 4000 employees, not all of them are working on FFXV and FFVII remake; and Squeenix is no stranger to outsourcing their games, PS4 version of FFX|X-2 HD was done by a company in China iirc. Besides, this is just a remaster not a remake. It's just giving an old game a new face-lift, they aren't rebuilding the game from the ground up again.

For actual thoughts. I'm ecstatic. I really liked FFXII, and I've already played the International Edition, which just made me love the game more. TIME FOR SAMURAI ASHE TO MAKE A COME BACK. Also, this really does look pretty, which is great.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
large.gif

God, I wish I could afford a PS4. This was and still is one of my most favorite FF games ever. It took me forever to get used to the battling system, but I did. After that, the experiences I had playing this game were fucking amazing. *q*

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
This will probably be my Game of the Year for next year. This is exactly what I wanted. There is no conceivable way Square Enix can screw this up - it's Final Fantasy XII. It harks back to a time that they actually made proper video games. I want this now. NOW.

That's debatable, as there are some fans who believe Square hasn't made a good Final Fantasy title since the PS1 days (they were turned off by FFX for the bad voice acting, Tidus being an unlikable main character, and its sequel).

Back