• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

VGPOTW #1: Italian Rivalries

Which Italian Nintendo mascots are your favorites?

• Total voters

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • 4367121412_484b1e07e3.jpg

Welcome to Video Game's inaugural Poll of the Week! Thanks to the permission of Pokemon General's moderator Brendino, Video Games will now be hosting a weekly series that pits certain video game characters, levels, and universes against other to see which one will come out on top!
    Expand on your answers! Tell us why you prefer one video game element over another! Posts that don't elaborate as to why specific elements were chosen will be deleted, and a warning may be given out through an infraction if it's a reoccurring issue.
    If you have a matchup that you would like to see, whether between video game characters or worlds/universes, send me a VM or PM and if your matchup gets chosen then an emblem will be given out as a reward!

Without further ado:

Which Italian Nintendo mascot is/are your favorite(s)?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I'm voting for Wario and Luigi.

I honestly have not played any games starring these Italian guys in a very long time, but from what I recall, I enjoyed the Wario-centric games a lot more than the other ones I have played (I don't even know if Waluigi has his own game(s) - if he does, I have not played 'em). I think Wario's personality is hilarious and he's a more interesting character than a lot of the Mario cast in general.

But I'm still quite fond of the classic, original duo, hence the vote for Luigi. Mario is more iconic than Luigi, I suppose, but I find Luigi more endearing, personality-wise. c:

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • When I play Mario games, I tend to choose Luigi over Mario. He is more versatile and quick, whereas Mario is a bit heavier, but not as swimmy as Luigi. I choose Luigi in Kart (when I want to), Smash (when I want to), and even mainstay Mario games that he is available in. Luigi's Mansion for the Gamecube is one of my all-time favorite games and that little green guy is one of the reasons why.

My vote goes for Luigi. Mario is still awesome though and the duo together is even better. :)

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Have to go with Luigi here. I don't like Mario, he's too slow and just not as good as Luigi and then the only games I've played that have had Wario and Waluigi in them are Mario Kart and Smash Bros. and I didn't much care for them in either one.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • This is actually a tough one for me to say. I would probably say either Luigi or Waluigi, but I feel that a better answer would be 'Not Mario'.

I say that because Mario just generally doesn't have as appealing or distinctive a personality. He's a happy go lucky plumber, brave, etc, but there's not too much depth to him (although in the paper mario spinoffs he is more likeable imo). And in a lot of non-Mario games which aren't typically heavy in plot or characters like your standard Mario game, he's not terribly distinctive either. And look at how he's described in Smash - a good 'all rounder'. But who really likes a jack of all trades, master of little besides staches? He doesn't offer anything distinctive being like that.

Compare him to his brother, Luigi. He's pretty well established as the more 'fraidy one, the taller brother who is usually in the shadows of his brother. There's already an interesting depth to him there, really emphasised in Luigi's Mansion (speaking of which I really should go get LM2 sometime) where despite that he still conquers his fears. Mario never seemed terrified in many games to me, so in that sense Luigi seemed to conquer something greater - not just foes and ghosts, but himself as well; all to save his brother. That's pretty endearing.

And hence there's also an underdog factor to him. And again game wise, he's the taller guy who can jump higher, maybe at the cost of a bit less control. Who doesn't want to go about jumping higher?

Honestly Wario and Waluigi have more of a comedy factor going for them, being rivals of their respective counterparts, but they're also pretty distinctive as well. Look at Wario being obsessed with money and being rich, and also just generally being more out-there. Again, that personally make him more interesting to me.
    (I don't even know if Waluigi has his own game(s)
    Nope, poor guy doesn't have his own game yet.
    Spoiler:

Years
  • I have to give the nod to Luigi in this poll. In general, I prefer the secondary characters to the main ones, and in the case of Luigi, it's for much of the same reasons that bobandbill pointed out (has a more distinct character and personality than Mario, yet is stuck outside the spotlight behind his brother). Even though I'm not much of a Nintendo gamer, it was nice to see him in the forefront with the Luigi's Mansion games, and getting his on special celebration in the form of the "Year of Luigi" last year.

Calamitastrophe

He's really feeling it
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    Definitely Waluigi. His voice is just so nasally and over-the-top, it's great. I always pick him in any Mario Party that I can.

Wa.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Might as well give my input now - my favorite has always been Mario. I like how he's the "balanced" character out of the four, and I really enjoy playing as him in Super Smash Bros. I've always felt - when it came to that series of games - that he was the most fighter-esque out of the lineup given as he doesn't really have anything too special for him. Plus his character design is simple and effective and while Wario and Waluigi are great in their own ways, I find them a little gimmicky.

Runner-up goes to Luigi; I've always loved him in Luigi's Mansion (not so much in the 3DS version, but that's just because I didn't like that game as a whole.)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Although Mario and Luigi are arguably most popular and known out of the four, I would personally have to go with Wario. I'm a pretty big fan of the guy. He's got some Bowser-like aspect incorporated into his character; he's tough, bulky, and to get his job done, he would usually not hesitate to do anything. He does seem to have some villainous-aura surrounding him, but at end of the day, he's a good guy, and does what's right. In most cases, he's considered an ally. Besides that, I'm also pretty fond of its outfit design; if you ask me, yellow and purple seem to go along very nicely!

Up next, for me, is Luigi. He's more or less like Mario, but one good thing about this guy is that he's go less weight, allowing him to float in air for a couple of seconds in games such as Super Mario 64, which, in my opinion, is pretty cool. Not only that, but his primary flower-power is invisibility, and with that, you're able to get through pretty much anything without making a scratch to your health bar at all.

After him, comes Mario. He's a mascot of Nintendo, is most famous out of the three. Some might not know who Luigi, Wario, or Waluigi when you ask, but when you mention Mario, it will certainly ring a bell (most of the time, anyway).

Back