• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions (FAQ in first post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
Years
  • Salamence is probably the best overall Dragon that isn't Uber, or Mega Charizard (But that doesn't really count). Dragonite is also really good because its bulk especially with Multi-scale is ridiculous. Hydreigon is good too.. I like to run a mixed set with Draco Meteor, Superpower, Dark Pulse and Fire Blast with Life Orb.

xFataLx

Dreaming oV a Dead Sun
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2018
    nice thx guys. i'll see how well altaria goes. any advice on a good moveset with dragondance?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • nice thx guys. i'll see how well altaria goes. any advice on a good moveset with dragondance?

Dragon Dance Mega Altaria comes in two flavors: offensive and bulky. The former can get away with a boost or two before it gets going, while the latter can use its bulk investment and good defensive typing to set up more before attacking:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Return
    -Earthquake
    -Roost/Fire Blast
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Altarianite

or
    -Dragon Dance
    -Return
    -Earthquake/Heal Bell/Substitute
    -Roost
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 248 HP/136 Def/96 SDef/28 Spe
    Item: Altarianite

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2016
    Hey everyone,

What is the best nature for Rayquaza/Mega Rayquaza and Swampert and why? I heard for Rayquaza/Mega Rayquaza it is either jolly or adamant and for Swampert it is jolly, adamant, or relaxed is this true? Thank you!!! :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Hey everyone,

What is the best nature for Rayquaza/Mega Rayquaza and Swampert and why? I heard for Rayquaza/Mega Rayquaza it is either jolly or adamant and for Swampert it is jolly, adamant, or relaxed is this true? Thank you!!! :)

For mixed (Mega) Rayquaza, Naive should be the nature, as it doesn't hinder either offensive stat. For physical Rayquaza, it should be Jolly:
    -Draco Meteor
    -Dragon Ascent
    -Extreme Speed/Earthquake
    -Fire Blast/Earthquake
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 252 Atk/40 SAtk/216 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Dragon Ascent
    -Earthquake
    -Extreme Speed/Dragon Dance
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe

Mega Swampert is more useful than regular Swampert, IMO, but only on rain teams. Adamant should be the nature, as Swift Swim will boost its Speed under rain anyway:
    -Waterfall
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Punch
    -Superpower/Low Kick/Rain Dance
    Nature: Adamant
    Item: Swampertite

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2016
    For mixed (Mega) Rayquaza, Naive should be the nature, as it doesn't hinder either offensive stat. For physical Rayquaza, it should be Jolly:
    -Draco Meteor
    -Dragon Ascent
    -Extreme Speed/Earthquake
    -Fire Blast/Earthquake
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 252 Atk/40 SAtk/216 Spe

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Dragon Ascent
    -Earthquake
    -Extreme Speed/Dragon Dance
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe

Mega Swampert is more useful than regular Swampert, IMO, but only on rain teams. Adamant should be the nature, as Swift Swim will boost its Speed under rain anyway:
    -Waterfall
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Punch
    -Superpower/Low Kick/Rain Dance
    Nature: Adamant
    Item: Swampertite

Ok, I understand. So, do you recommend Naive for Mega Rayquaza over Adamant and Jolly? Why is that so? Thank you!

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2016
    Hey everyone,

I was wondering, if the nature of Mesprit is first set in Platinum, when you first see it in the cave and press A and it runs away, or when you first meet it in battle? Thank you!!! :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Hey everyone,

I was wondering, if the nature of Mesprit is first set in Platinum, when you first see it in the cave and press A and it runs away, or when you first meet it in battle? Thank you!!! :)

All of Mesprit's stats are set when it's sent running in Verity Cavern

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2015
    Spiritomb builds

So I came up with a couple Spiritomb builds, anyone mind critiquing them?

Sp.Def wall

Calm nature
    EV: 252 HP/252 Sp.Def/ 4 Def
    IV: 31 Sp.Def/31 HP/ 31 Sp. Atk/31 Def
    Ability: Pressure
    Moves: WoW (will-o-wisp), Rest, Dark pulse, Curse
    Item: Lax Incense

Assault

Quiet Nature
    EV: 252 Sp.Atk/252 HP/4 Sp.Def
    IV: 31 Sp.atk/31 HP/31 Def/ 31 Sp.Def
    Ability: Infiltrator
    Moves: Foul play, Swagger, Shadow ball, Hidden Power (poison)
    Item: Assault vest

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Oh yes, I love Spiritomb. I used one back when Diamond and Pearl first came out and that thing wrecked so many teams. Of course that's a couple generations ago already, and with new Pokémon, Fairy-types, and an entirely different metagame, Spiritomb has definitely seen some changes in usage.

I'm going to assume that this is meant for Singles, so going by that.

If you want a defensive Spiritomb, meant for walling and some stalling, I recommend a set similar to this:

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
    Bold Nature
    Infiltrator
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
    - Calm Mind
    - Rest
    - Dark Pulse
    - Will-o-Wisp / Sleep Talk

This runs like the classic Crocune set, basically. Bold natures boosts Defense while you'll be boosting your Special Defense with Calm Mind.

Keep in mind that Guts Pokémon (Machamp, Heracross), Fire-types and Fairy-types give Spiritomb some serious grief, since Fairy-types are super effective and Fire-types are immune to Will-o-Wisp, and Guts users get an Attack boost from the Burn.

Now, for your offensive Spiritomb, it typically runs more physical with a moveset like this:

Spiritomb @ BlackGlasses/Leftovers
    Adamant Nature
    Infiltrator
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    - Sucker Punch
    - Foul Play
    - Pursuit / Taunt / Pain Split
    - Will-O-Wisp

Of those three move options, I personally recommend Pain Split as it works like a pseudo healing move in the best situation, which would especially be beneficial if you decide to use BlackGlasses instead of Leftovers for the power boost.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2015
    Oh yes, I love Spiritomb. I used one back when Diamond and Pearl first came out and that thing wrecked so many teams. Of course that's a couple generations ago already, and with new Pokémon, Fairy-types, and an entirely different metagame, Spiritomb has definitely seen some changes in usage.

I'm going to assume that this is meant for Singles, so going by that.

If you want a defensive Spiritomb, meant for walling and some stalling, I recommend a set similar to this:

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
    Bold Nature
    Infiltrator
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
    - Calm Mind
    - Rest
    - Dark Pulse
    - Will-o-Wisp / Sleep Talk

This runs like the classic Crocune set, basically. Bold natures boosts Defense while you'll be boosting your Special Defense with Calm Mind.

Keep in mind that Guts Pokémon (Machamp, Heracross), Fire-types and Fairy-types give Spiritomb some serious grief, since Fairy-types are super effective and Fire-types are immune to Will-o-Wisp, and Guts users get an Attack boost from the Burn.

Now, for your offensive Spiritomb, it typically runs more physical with a moveset like this:

Spiritomb @ BlackGlasses/Leftovers
    Adamant Nature
    Infiltrator
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    - Sucker Punch
    - Foul Play
    - Pursuit / Taunt / Pain Split
    - Will-O-Wisp

Of those three move options, I personally recommend Pain Split as it works like a pseudo healing move in the best situation, which would especially be beneficial if you decide to use BlackGlasses instead of Leftovers for the power boost.

Okay, also how should one build Sp.Def Spiritomb?

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Okay, also how should one build Sp.Def Spiritomb?

Well, the first set mentioned works well as a Sp. Def-oriented Spiritomb, because Calm Mind raises Sp. Attack and Sp. Defense, the reason for the Bold nature is that covers your physical Defense, making it more rounded and more likely to resist all attacks, instead of exclusively Sp. Defense. If you really wanted to, though, you could just boost its Sp. Defense with a Calm nature instead of Bold, although that's not recommended.

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2015
    Well, the first set mentioned works well as a Sp. Def-oriented Spiritomb, because Calm Mind raises Sp. Attack and Sp. Defense, the reason for the Bold nature is that covers your physical Defense, making it more rounded and more likely to resist all attacks, instead of exclusively Sp. Defense. If you really wanted to, though, you could just boost its Sp. Defense with a Calm nature instead of Bold, although that's not recommended.

Oh, I figured as long as I suppress it's weakness (Fairy), I'd be golden

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Oh, I figured as long as I suppress it's weakness (Fairy), I'd be golden

Well, even considering that you have to be wary of Pokémon with the move Play Rough, since that's a physical Fairy-type move. Plus, like I mentioned before if your opponent predicts that you're going to use Will-o-Wisp, and they switch in to Machamp or Heracross, even though they can't hit you with a STAB Fighting-type move, they're still going to get a massive boost in Attack because of their abillities, Guts. There are a lot of little things to look out for when you're constructing a Pokémon's moveset, and it goes a lot deeper than just type matchup.

You should also be wary of Pokémon who can use Taunt, as that can shut down the Sp. Defensive Spiritomb, prohibiting it from using Calm Mind or Rest for a few turns.

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2015
    Well, even considering that you have to be wary of Pokémon with the move Play Rough, since that's a physical Fairy-type move. Plus, like I mentioned before if your opponent predicts that you're going to use Will-o-Wisp, and they switch in to Machamp or Heracross, even though they can't hit you with a STAB Fighting-type move, they're still going to get a massive boost in Attack because of their abillities, Guts. There are a lot of little things to look out for when you're constructing a Pokémon's moveset, and it goes a lot deeper than just type matchup.

You should also be wary of Pokémon who can use Taunt, as that can shut down the Sp. Defensive Spiritomb, prohibiting it from using Calm Mind or Rest for a few turns.

Kay then, which 1 of the 2 sets you mentioned is easier to use?

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Kay then, which 1 of the 2 sets you mentioned is easier to use?

Well, neither are particularly difficult. It's a matter of what works best with your team, if you already have an offensive Pokémon on your team, then the Sp. Defensive Spiritomb would be best, but if you already have a lot of bulky tank Pokémon, then the offensive Spiritomb would work best.

They're both pretty straight-forward to use, the only thing with the Sp. Defensive Spiritomb moveset that I provided, is that you need to know when it would be best to use Calm Mind, when it would be best to use Rest, and remember that Rest-induced sleep is exactly 2 turns, so don't accidentally use Sleep Talk on the 3rd turn.

The offensive Spiritomb, however, you need to know beforehand (or at least have a site like Smogon ready) what the base Attack is for a Pokémon you want to use Foul Play against. Also, this is something to keep in mind when you're using Pain Split:

"Pain Split adds the current HP of the user and target Pokémon. It then divides this value by two and sets the HP of both Pokémon to the result. If the new value is higher than the maximum HP of either Pokémon, that Pokémon will have its HP set to that maximum." - Bulbapedia​

Basically, you want to use Pain Split when your HP is lower than your opponent's. It will heal you while dealing damage to the opponent. The bigger the gap in HP, the more damage it will do to them, and the more it will heal you. The actual HP stat is a factor in that, as well.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back