• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Replacing Cyndaquil, Totodile, & Chikorita...

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
Years
  • If you were going to substitute Cyndaquil, Totodile, and Chikorita for different Pokémon, which would you choose?

ade2ko.jpg
    2meqo2x.jpg

Psyduck → Golduck lvl. 33
    Golduck base state total: 500
    2f0eq6v.jpg
    2cg0wlf.jpg

Elekid → Electabuzz lvl. 30
    Electabuzz base stat total: 490
    307wakj.jpg
    2vunek6.jpg

Phanpy → Donphan lvl. 25
    Donphan base stat total: 500​

Last edited:

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
    Years
  • Why not replace it with another fire type?

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Treecko, Torchic and Mudkip! Hoenn FTW!

Okay with that joke aside, perhaps Johto and Kanto should merge into one huge region? That means the original Kanto starters are going to be the main starters.

ZKE

Not an ounce of maturity.
    Years
  • Oddish > Gloom > Vileplume.
    Horsea > Seadra > Kingdra.
    Magby > Magmar > Magmortar.

Not too bad?

Ah, forgot this was Gen II not HGSS, uh... well. Either everyone gets two forms because the fire side of things isn't that great in Gen II or we have an imbalance. Darn it.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I always use chikorita as hm slave or psyduck. But my team usually consists of arcanine, pidgeot, kadabra, scyther, sneasel, ampharos for battling. Sometimes I'll substitute arcanine for rapidash later in game.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2016
    If we can't use the original Kanto starters....

Oddish > Gloom > Vileplume
    Poliwag > Poliwhirl > Poliwrath

I don't think there is another 2 evolution fire type is there?

Raskolnikov

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
  • Growlithe --> Arcanine
    Oddish --> Gloom --> Bellossom
    Psyduck --> Golduck

Actually, I thought now, I'll make this party on my next game :D

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • If I limit myself to the earliest 251 Pokémon, find three evolutionary families who evolve in identical ways, and have types that can be arranged in a "rock-paper-scissor" pattern...

Here's the trio I propose. All of them evolve only once, by reaching a certain level:
    Paras -> Parasect
    Houndour -> Houndoom
    Chinchou -> Lanturn

Yeah, I know, Paras actually has a double weakness to fire, but in Gen 3, Mudkip's evolved forms had a double weakness to grass, so I consider this fair game. The strengths/weaknesses cycle is obviously: Paras -> Chinchou -> Houndour -> Paras...

But if I absolutely have to step outside of the usual "grass-fire-water" pattern, I'd suggest the following trio:

Mankey -> Primeape
    Houndour -> Houndoom
    Natu -> Xatu

I know I'm repeating myself with Houndour... I actually wanted to put Swinub or Magnemite in that spot, but they both get an additional evolution in Gen 4, and it wouldn't be fair for the two other starters :) .

The strengths/weaknesses cycle is: Mankey -> Houndour/Swinub/Magnemite -> Natu -> Mankey...

Reactions: ZKE

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • i replace totodile with totodile since it's the best water type starter there is

Uh for Totodile I'd put in Horsea, for Chikorita I'd say Oddish and then Cyndaquil would be swapped for Magby.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Hoppip > Skiploom > Jumpluff
    Horsea > Seadra > Kingdra
    Houndour > Houndoom

I really did not intend for them all to start with H lol, I was just thinking of a good Grass/Fire/Water trio that ended with Johto Pokémon.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2017
    i would use

-Arcanine
    -too many good water pokemon to pick from...
    -vileplume

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Gen 2 pokémon obviously, not Kanto ones c: So probably Smoochum, Magby and Elekid would have been a fun trio to start with.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • I frankly wouldn't want to change any, coz I like all three of them.

The only one I'd want to change is maybe Chikorita, coz that's the one one I least preferred of the three. Don't dislike it though.

Pika Pika :chu:

Back