• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cards that Play Pokemon FORGOT to ban?

OliveCopper

Captain of Olive Kappa
Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2016
    What cards do you think Play Pokemon should ban?

My thoughts:

So far only 2 are on my list.

1. Mewtwo-EX from Next Destinies and Legendary Treasures
    You saw this coming, but I would like to repeat, WHY ISN'T MEWTWO-EX BANNED YET? For any 2 Energy, Mewtwo can use a Devestating X-Ball which will OHKO any Pokemon that even attempts to set up to defeat it. The minimum amount of damage X-Ball can do is 40, but when an opponent attaches an Energy to his or her Pokemon to set up for an attack, the attack does 60 damage, and the damage piles up once Energy gets attached. Not to mention attaching a third Energy to Mewtwo-EX will up the minimum to 60, dealing 80 to a 1 Energy Pokemon. SERIOUSLY PLAY, ADD MEWTWO-EX TO THE BAN LIST!

2. Dimension Valley from Phantom Forces
    This is just a recent addition to the list, this Stadium card allows overpowered Pokemon to ignore attack cost. I didn't know how abominable the card was until I was playing a virtual TCG match online, the opponent was M Gallade-EX. It did not have the required Energy to attack, but it used Unwavering Blade and Knocked out my Pokemon early. And there was another one who REFUSED TO EVEN STOP PLAYING DIMENSION VALLEY! There is no way to stop a Stadium Card from being played. And just in case you are wondering, Mewtwo-EX's X-Ball won't benefit from Dimension Valley, because it won't do any damage if Mewtwo-EX doesn;t have ANY Energy attached to it.

This is an on-topic thread that encourages people to discuss card what they think SHOULD join the ban list.
    (This is not the thread to even mention any cards that ARE ALREADY banned from even having in players' decks.)

RandomHype

Explosive Explosion
    Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2015
    Shiftry from Next Destinies.

Have you seen this beast? It wins you games on turn 1 using Forest of Giant Plants

RandomHype

Explosive Explosion
    Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2015
    ???? Shiftry from Next Destinies is hardly broken. The scenario you describe isn't even possible T1.

Have you been under a rock or something?
    Because of the massive draw support we get from Shaymin EX, Acro bike, Bike, roller skates, and unown, people are making fast win decks that require no attacking whatsoever.

Here's an example of it in action

Here's an article on it

Here's a meme of it

Oh and remember.
    all regional events will be expanded :)

Years
  • Have you been under a rock or something?
    Because of the massive draw support we get from Shaymin EX, Acro bike, Bike, roller skates, and unown, people are making fast win decks that require no attacking whatsoever.

Here's an example of it in action

Here's an article on it

Here's a meme of it

Oh and remember.
    all regional events will be expanded :)

Competitive play-wise, I kinda have, yeah. Been too busy to make even regular league appearances (since they're all 45 minutes away by car currently, though I have a lead on a shop that would be willing to host a league) or even to pop onto the TCGO to play for most of the summer (and when I haven't been busy, it's been too hot to use my PC since our AC broke).

Forest of Giant Plants is the card that's actually broken, not Shiftry.

It sounds like it could be a problem in Expanded, but Expanded will also have access to the full range of EXs, will it not? They're a natural counter to this tactic by being strong basics and upping the share of Basics one can have in their deck while still having it be serviceable. It's not like LTC where you can't counter its use because it's a Supporter card.

RandomHype

Explosive Explosion
    Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2015
    Competitive play-wise, I kinda have, yeah. Been too busy to make even regular league appearances (since they're all 45 minutes away by car currently, though I have a lead on a shop that would be willing to host a league) or even to pop onto the TCGO to play for most of the summer (and when I haven't been busy, it's been too hot to use my PC since our AC broke).

Forest of Giant Plants is the card that's actually broken, not Shiftry.

It sounds like it could be a problem in Expanded, but Expanded will also have access to the full range of EXs, will it not? They're a natural counter to this tactic by being strong basics and upping the share of Basics one can have in their deck while still having it be serviceable. It's not like LTC where you can't counter its use because it's a Supporter card.

IT HAPPENED!
    PRAISE THE TCPI
    http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/shiftry-banned-from-expanded-format/

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2017
    http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/shiftry-banned-from-expanded-format/ said:
    As new expansions are released, powerful card combinations with older cards may arise. Therefore, we will aggressively monitor tournament results and new expansions for any unhealthy card combinations.
    Haha! They're treating combos like this as if they were cancer... Which they are.

Years
  • Haha! They're treating combos like this as if they were cancer... Which they are.

I mean, they are, but they're fun to play if they're not overdone. My concern is that this will harm information sharing among players and that more players will become even more guarded about the best combos for fear of losing them to bans.

Back