• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Alder is the most forgettable champion

pkmin3033

Alder wasn't a BAD Champion - he was better than Iris and Diantha at least - but he wasn't particularly memorable either; he wasn't difficult, didn't have a huge impact on the plot, and his team is very...meh. I think he actually looks the part of a Champion more than any of the others, actually: he's an older, more experienced trainer who has earned his position through years of experience. Everyone else is in their teens or twenties and must have been a child prodigy or something to smash through Gym Leaders and Elite Four members twice (or even thrice) their age and experience.

Although I think part of the problem is that Cynthia is just so memorable; she makes everyone who has come after her forgettable. Iris being the Champion in B2/W2 wasn't particularly noteworthy, and Diantha didn't have much of a personality either. I think I'd probably be fonder of Alder if not for the fact that he followed on from the best Champion, in my opinion.

Nakala Pri

He wasn't awesomely memorable but he was still okay. Especially in the manga, where he's by the river playing with Garbodor. ;~; THE FEELZ!!

I never actually battled him for some reason, but yeah, he didn't have much character but the character he did have was awesome! 8D

Jay

[font=Brawler][color=#91a8d4][i]Here comes the boi
Years
Alder tried, bless him. You can see from his character that he worked hard to get to where he is... yes I'll admit he's too weak compared to most other champions, yes I'll admit he's more forgettable when compared to the impressive Lance, Cynthia, Steven Stone and even Blue/Green.

But Arceus damn it all... he was leagues better than Iris.

Alder at least felt like a champion. He was intelligent, wise and courageous enough to face team plasma even if he lost that battle. What the heck did Iris do? Why was she champion? I can't remember the reasoning but it surely wasn't anything impressive. You battle through the fairly epicly designed Unova elite 4 in B2W2 and then you go up the stairs to your final challenge and it's some freaking fairy tale princess wannabee with barely any personality traits other than "bubbly and fun weee!"

Champions are supposed to be imposing and someone worthy of respect. Look at Cynthia for a great female champion, imposing, powerful with a varied team. Someone you fight and actually respect as a worthy opponent. Even if Alder was easy to beat he was at a character that had a shred of impressiveness to him, his philosophical attitude and zen personality made him interesting to me.

Iris, on the other hand, is a little kid who's just as annoying in the games as she is in the anime... she barely surpasses diantha as a champion in my eyes.

In short, Alder is not the most memorable champion no... maybe he even is the most forgettable. But I'd rather be the most forgettable over the downright weakest (Diantha) or the most annoying. (Iris)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 21, 2021
Character wise, Alder is probably one of the best even if he isn't very difficult in battle. It's been a long while since I played B/W, so I don't exactly remember him but he is a much better character than most of the more popular champions like Cynthia and Steven. He felt like an actual character with life to him than a bland Mary Sue that is perfect in every way (I'm looking at you, Cynthia and Steven). As much as I love Cynthia for being a challenge to fight, I do admit that she is a bland Mary Sue.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015
Yeah, I have to admit, out of all the champions, he is the one I remember the least. (Though, to be honest, i'm pretty bad at remembering champions. The only one I can recall without fail is Lance. I barely remember Steven and Cynthia and I completely forgot Gary was the champion in the first game until recently.)

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2017
it's true that he's easily forgettable, but his encouter theme isn't. i love it!

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Alder isn't forgettable. He's important to the storyline. What's forgettable is his Champion battle, but that's because N and Ghetsis steal his thunder.

Years
Alder isn't forgettable. He's important to the storyline. What's forgettable is his Champion battle, but that's because N and Ghetsis steal his thunder.

This hit the nail on the head. Although Cynthia is still my favorite Champion, she does nothing productive against Team Galactic, and it's not helped by how she leaves a bunch of Psyduck to suffer chronic headaches. Granted she had presence, but Alder's was a lot more important. And like I said, it's been a long time since i've battled him in BW, so I can't really say much about that right now. :P But N and Ghetsis are ten times harder so there.

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2017
Alder forgettable? I think the only forgettable Champion id Diantha or what was the champion in FR/LG? Rival/ I don't know. but Alder is on the same line as Cynthia, characters important to the story. I see nothing forgettable about him. He's actually concerned with Team plasma. Did Diantha do anything? I don't know I don't remember cause she's forgettable. I can't forget Alder because i was in love with his battle theme. He's one of the most unique Champions next to Iris. N was too busy stealing the show for anyone to notice. That's why his champion battle was underwhelming when you fought him in round 2.

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
Years
Adler was surely not your everyday champion, but he sure was a great role model. I admired him as a character while I played Black. He sure was a powerful trainer though. And plus, I liked how gamefreak designed him. He was the coolest looking champion of all time. (Actually when I think about it, Lance was pretty cool too.)

Back