• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Secondary effects of moves from AI's Pokemon

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    So am I the only who notices or feels like the in-game trainers are almost too lucky when it comes to having their Pokemon's moves' secondary effects activate? It feels like they're fixed. When the player (us) use a move with a secondary effect, we hardly every see it happen.

Is it made this way by the developers as a way to ensure new trainers realize what potential these moves have on their Pokemon?

Like I swear, every time I face Misty's Staryu and Starmie and they use Water Pulse, I almost always get confused. However, when I use Water Pulse, very rarely do I get the opponent to be confused. Likewise for when trainers end up getting my Pokemon frozen with Ice Beam and then I hardly ever freeze an opponent.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • I wouldn't be surprised if they slightly boost the chances of things like that happening for NPC's just to compensate for their lack of actual human intelligence, but I'd still be a bit surprised if there's actually any difference. It MIGHT feel like this, though, because wild Pokemon and NPC's tend to spam these moves. >>; Friggin' Zubat.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    It really depends if you mean those Trainers we battle everywhere then no. But if it's the Battle Facility, including Battle Maison and World Tournament we're talking about then the answer is yes.

Years
  • Yes, I feel like the AI are always lucky with landing secondary effects on you and in the case of multi-hit moves, always hit 5 times. Critical hits landed against you are also not a pretty sight and I do see them a lot. So many reasons I dread battle facilities.

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
  • Totally agree, there AI is so so lucky.......... i remembered in game i flinched nearly 5 times from the trainer's Pokemon(Which ends in losing battle).Also, there probability to go with critical hits are nearly high........Anyways i think this make the game more interesting :D

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    If it was on competitive zones like battle mansion or any battle facilities, it actually pretty irrating and annoying as AI always got the effect kicks in a lot of times, so better get those lum berries than. and yes, AI tends be more lucky landing a critical hit and secondary effects it's just plain unfair as us players the secondary effects have a slimmer or often occurs the effect of moves would hit the opponent at the right moment or perfect time (opponent's HP is low when struck with move, but get burned and fainted due to luck struck by secondary effect). Yes, that would be darn annoying if don't have any status recoveries to heal them. I'm looking at you Poisoned and Burned

Back