• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pros and Cons of Trading in X and Y

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
With a new generation comes a new way of trading. Trading in X and Y is comparatively easier to earlier generations with the addition of the PSS since you can now trade anywhere at anytime. But what do you think has been improved this generation and what do you like about the trading system? Also, conversely, what do you not like about trading in X and Y? What do you wish had been kept the same from earlier generations?

Discuss away~

Reactions: EB

EB

Re: World
Years
While I do enjoy the ease that trading has evolved into over time, I can't help but miss the one-on-one experiences that came with trading via link cable. But it could just be a result of nostalgia.

Also Wonder Trade is...

Spoiler:

... well, you know. ;o

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
I love trading now! Trading was fun before, but it always became so tedious so I would stop trading and take long breaks. Now I don't see that being a problem. XD

Also @earthboy LOL ♥

Reactions: EB

sCam

Killing is a pleasure
Years
  • Age 33
  • ny
  • Seen Dec 18, 2016
You know what i hate? that one noob guy who keeps asking me for a trade ._.
and every time he loses battles to me he dissconects.

anyone know how i can delete someone from friend's list?

but trading is awesome now..

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2014
I kinda hate having a maximum of 100 friends in your friends list.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 8, 2013
I love wonder trade. it makes trading so easy, and relatively stress free (I say relatively because there's always that one ---- who puts nothing but weedles in the trading system). I tend to stay away from the global trade center because I tend to see nothing but legendary pokemon in the system and/or level 90+ wanted pokemon

Death

The Pale Horseman
Years
I like it because I no longer need to bring link cables or those wireless doodads just to trade.

Though I heard that something called a 'bad egg' has been circulating around again through wonder trade which has made me hesitant on continuing my quest for trainer IDs for the lotto (collecting trainer IDs is a lot easier with wonder trade, by the way).

One feature I want is the ability to remove people from the friend list (in PSS), because I don't know who is which trainer from the 3DS' friend list, and I don't want to accidentally delete someone I still play with.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 15, 2014
I'd like if there was a way to see stats/nature =| I got scammed a few times already...

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
The only real con I can see is only having 100 total slots for friends on your 3DS. The pros are amazing though and it's so easy to trade and battle. I just find it awesome and easy.

Years
I was never really that fond of the DS era trade system.. It kind of seemed a bit tedious. You had to go into the pokecenter, had to talk to some NPC, save the game.. go into some forbidden dark room and sit at a control booth.. and then only have 6 trade options with a bunch of chodes asking for lvl 100 Darkrai or something. I couldn't use it unless I was the one making the deposit.. and then it would just sit there for weeks sometimes depending what I'm trading out.. if I don't decide to just give up on it entirely.

These days, I can sling out dozens of Trades a day. I'm SO glad you have pretty much as many options to choose from as you could want.. 10, 12 a set. I do wish the PSS had better communication options though. But the minute you give the people a megaphone like that is when it starts to become like an actual MMO.. and I think Nintendo would prefer to keep it extremely minimal to avoid kids getting exposed to "inappropriate behavior" if you follow me.. which would give Pokemon a potential Teen rating.. Sigh... this is why we can't have nice things... Still it would be a nice feature to actually say "Hey, this is what I got if anyone's interested". Thats really my only nitpick. Other than that I have nothing but good things to say about it. It's a system that actually works more or less the way it should.

One thing I wish they did implement is like reverse trading.. like, say you have a Pikachu and you want to see what trades are asking for Pikachu.. which would save you time, rather than going through endless cycles of trades.

Last edited:
Years
I'd like if there was a way to see stats/nature =| I got scammed a few times already...

Same here. =/

I wanted a 5/6 IV perfect Ditto, got a 2 IV instead while the guy got an Yveltal.

If we could see the summary of the Pokemon, we wouldn't be scammed left and right.

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
Years
I personally like how you can see everyone who is online and if they are trading or not without being in a wifi room. That to me is really cool! I love trading thus far in X and Y it's revived!

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
Years
My only involvement so far was when I had just started the game, I used wonder trade and instantly got a level 21 Golurk.

This may seem alright, but when the rest of your team is level 8, it seems overpowered, so I boxed it and left it there...

UseTheRNGLuke

The RNG is strong in this one.
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 25, 2014
If you got a Badegg, although it would be dishonest, couldn't you just put it back into Wonder Trade before it does anything bad to your game?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Dec 8, 2013
One thing I wish they did implement is like reverse trading.. like, say you have a Pikachu and you want to see what trades are asking for Pikachu.. which would save you time, rather than going through endless cycles of trades.

I can't tell you how much I agree with this.

Years
Pros: No hacks, improved GTS, wonder trade (though I don't really use wonder trade anymore myself)
Cons: Nothing I can think of, actually.

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
The only real con I can see is only having 100 total slots for friends on your 3DS. The pros are amazing though and it's so easy to trade and battle. I just find it awesome and easy.

Yes, I think that the 100 total friends is a MAJOR bummer. I really feel like Nintendo shoudl have had some forethought on what this would do to trading. It has clearly caused such a major flux of people looking for Ditto's from the friend safari, and those that have been able to collect Ditto from the Friend Safari are asking for legendaries in exchange. I think the trading will equal out a little once we can migrate our Ditto's from previous generations, but in the meantime Ditto farming is apparently like gold. I think there are a lot of people that will regret losing their Legendaries to Ditto trading once they can bring forward their Gen IV/V Dittos.

I REALLY love Wonder Trade. YES, I do mostly get Pokemon that other's would not want, but I think it is fun to see what I will get. I keep a few boxes for just the Poke's I get from Wonder trade, so that I can save them for the ID Lotto. I also have found that most of them are coming from Friend Safari's, so even the Paras I ended up being sent had two perfect stats.

I've thrown a few Smeargles to Wonder Trade with 3-5 perfect IV's. I just hope those that get them acctually look at them and 1) realize they have a few 31 stats, and 2) realize how useful that is for breeding(i.e. how big the field egg group is). I also wonder traded away my Masterball hoping that someone else will be happy with it. If I had someone with Ditto in their safari in my friend list I would catch a full box of the funky puple blobs and wonder trade them away for the good Karma.

iTeruri

iAm
Years
I put most of my breeding rejects on Wonder Trade. It's such an awesome feature. I actually got a 5 IV Tyrunt with 4 Egg Moves from it, although I already had one myself. The one I got was Japanese, though, so I used it for the Masuda Method and now I have a 4 IV Tyrunt with 4 Egg Moves. I'll put a lot of 5 IV Tyrunt on the Wonder Trade myself soon (all are marked to reflect this.) I don't always mark my Pokémon, but if I do, I hope someone notices the markings and knows they just recieved a Protean Froakie with 4 perfect IVs or a 4IV Togepi with Nasty Plot, or something else.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 13, 2014
Trading in X/Y has been such a blast! Can't think of any cons that come with it...aside from the 100 friend limit, as others have mentioned. While it's possible that you can get scammed, that can happen in any gen. Haven't gotten scammed myself, and I certainly hope it stays that way!

Years
Right, so the GTS. You pop a pokemon of your choice and request one you would like in return (Which is usually a legendary, grrrrr) and then you wait for someone to stumble upon it and swap with you. All well and good but what would be nice is extra search capabilities. For example, I search for a certain Pokemon people want and browse what folk are offering for it. So, say I put up a Charizard and in return I want a Blastoise. Someone can then search for people who want Blastoise and see what they are offering to have one and decide what they feel is worth it. A sort of spin on things. Also being able to check stats and move sets would be helpful as some claim they have certain IV's or Pokerus when they don't.

Back