• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First Competitive Team

Years
  • The Lineup: Celebi (Lead), Gengar, Starmie, Magnezone, Gyarados, Heatran

UPDATES:::
    Posted original team - 4.22pm Central Time, 2/28
    Changed up some of the items - 4.27pm Central time, 2/28
    Updated due to PlatinumDude's suggestions - 10.00pm Central time, 2/28
    Added some comments under each Pokemon - 10.35pm 2/28
    Changed Magnezone's moveset due to Dude22376's suggestions - 12.57pm 3/1
    :::UPDATES

Celebi @ Occa Berry
    EVs: 252 SpA, 216 Spe, 40 HP
    Nature: Timid (hopefully) (+Spe, -Atk)
    Stealth Rock
    Leaf Storm
    U-turn
    Earth Power
    Comments: Celebi will be my lead. This will allow me to set up with Stealth Rock. I also have Leaf Storm and Earth Power in order to take care of a lot of common Pokemon my opponent might send at me. I also have U-turn in case I need to get out of there.

Gengar @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 Def
    Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
    Shadow Ball
    Substitute
    Focus Blast
    Hidden Power Fire
    Comments: This Gengar build will allow me to prepare for any incoming threats. I can use Substitute and deal with what's thrown at me effectively.

Starmie @ Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: (252 SpA/HP)?, 252 Spe, 4 SpD
    Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
    Hydro Pump
    Thunderbolt
    Ice Beam
    Rapid Spin
    Comments: Starmie has Rapid Spin for any entry hazards. Having Hydro Pump, Thunderbolt, and Ice Beam, I can take out a lot of different Pokemon and throw up a strong offensive.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 Atk
    Nature: Naive (+Spe, -SpD)
    Hidden Power Fire
    Thunderbolt
    Flash Cannon
    Explosion
    Comments: I think I will go with Hidden Power Ice for this Magnezone build. Thunderbolt can take care of a lot of weakened Pokemon near the end of the battle. Also, I have Explosion which will work well, especially after Stealth Rock has been put in place.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
    Ability: Initimidate
    EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Def
    Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
    Dragon Dance
    Waterfall
    Stone Edge
    Earthquake
    Comments: This Gyarados will be one of my sweepers. Waterfall can take care of a lot of walls, and Stone Edge and Earthquake can deal with a lot of other threats.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 SpD
    Nature: Serious (No changes)
    Fire Blast
    Earth Power
    Explosion
    Dragon Pulse
    Comments: This Heatran will be set up as mainly revenge killer.

I will be updating this post regularly, especially after I hear any feedback.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • You should lead with Celebi and change its set to this:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Leaf Storm
    -Earth Power
    -U-turn/Hidden Power (Ice/Fire)
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 40 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Occa Berry

Your Heatran should be Naive because it could use the nature boost for Speed.

IMO, Gengar should have Substitute instead of Protect, to protect it from status, and have an easier time to attack. Replace Life Orb with Leftovers if you choose to go this way.

Years
  • Unfortunately I already have the Heatran and cannot get another so its nature won't change. But thanks for the other advice! I'm going to pick up my Celebi from the ongoing Gamestop event tomorrow, so hopefully I will get a nature conducive to the team.

Should I keep the leftovers on the Gyarados or give him the life orb?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2012
    Keep Leftovers on Gyarados. With Stealth Rock and Sandstorm (assuming your opponents have them set up, which more often than not they will), you'll need to ensure Gyarados' survivability.

HP Fire is better on Magnezone since it allows you to OHKO Scizor and Forretress (which it can trap), compared to HP Ice, which kills Dragons (which Magnezone can't trap, and will take a hefty amount from Thunderbolt anyway).

firebolt12

pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2012
    quite good, nice movesets. try doing different better items. Choice items, berries, BUT NEVER mystic water etc.

Back