• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
  • I have a really basic idea which could be similar to something else, I'm not sure, but feel free to expand on it however you want if it's not already done.

Basically, you can only use one Pokémon Center. For example, you could miss out one in the first town and then go to the next one, but that is the only one you're allowed to go to for the game. Some optional rules could be you can't use fly, so you have to walk all the way back, or you can't choose a Pokémon Center and you are instead taken back to your house.

Thoughts?
    Eh, it could work. I wouldn't personally play it though.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I just came up with a challenge idea myself. That one is...

Immunelocke! It's just like a standard Nuzlocke, but with the following rules:

-You can only use Pokemon that are immune to a certain type, or evolve into a Pokemon that is. For example, you can use Seedot, because it evolves into Nuzleaf which is immune to Psychic.

-Optional rule: Pokemon with abilities like Levitate, Flash Fire, Volt Absorb, etc. are allowed, as long as they have that ability. For example, you can use a Growlithe with Flash Fire, but you can't use one with Intimidate.

stp

ShootThePuck
    Years
  • I just came up with a challenge idea myself. That one is...

Immunelocke! It's just like a standard Nuzlocke, but with the following rules:

-You can only use Pokemon that are immune to a certain type, or evolve into a Pokemon that is. For example, you can use Seedot, because it evolves into Nuzleaf which is immune to Psychic.

-Optional rule: Pokemon with abilities like Levitate, Flash Fire, Volt Absorb, etc. are allowed, as long as they have that ability. For example, you can use a Growlithe with Flash Fire, but you can't use one with Intimidate.

I guess that could work, but you'd only be able to use 7 types, 6 in games without Fairy-type. The second rule would kind of have to be enforced always to add some kind of variety I feel like. There's not a whole lot of Dark, Steel, and Ghost types really.

Years
  • Ideas for challenge

Hi all,

I'm working on a LocoChallenge (practically a Nuzlocke Challenge but my personal input), and I'd like to have some ideas to make OmegaRuby just a bit more challenging as a veteran player, without the "annoying" difficulties of a Nuzlocke Challenge (for instance I really dislike having to part with a fainted Pokémon, or being restrained from catching that Pokémon I want even if I won't use it anyway).

The motivation to make my own set of rules came because I did not want to restrict myself in my end game too much - being that I want to complete my Pokédex and build a strong, dependable team.
    Most challenges either restrict you in your ability to catch Pokémon as you go, or have you release Pokémon. Ignoring these is generally not optimal as these may be the rules the challenge is based around.

So, this is what I've got:

Pokémon Loco Challenge:

A challenge to make your way to becoming the Pokémon Champion just a little bit more challenging.

-Only use Pokémon of a single type.
    To explain, I will use apply the Dark type to this rule. This rule takes effect the moment you catch your first Dark Pokémon. Before you do, you are not allowed to use any other Pokémon except your starter. Once your Dark Pokémon has been caught, all other Pokémon must be stored in a Box. As an optional addition: All Dark type Pokémon must be nicknamed.
    -You are not allowed to purchase any items at Pokémarts.
    As an optional addition: you may not sell any item at the Pokémart either.
    -Usage of stat boosting items (such as Calcium or Xattack), held items (such as Magnet). berries, and TMs is prohibited.

-With the exception of Legendaries, all Pokémon must be caught on the first try. If it fails, you may not try again during this battle.

-Usage of the Day Care is prohibited.

-Usage of Legendaries is prohibited.

-Usage of Potions during combat is prohibited.

-Usage of hunting ground rest houses is prohibited.

-Pokémon may not evolve until they reach level 35. If they have one, their second evolution may not take place until level 50.
    The exception to this rule are bug type Pokémon, because they evolve faster by nature. Their first evolution comes at level 20 and their second at level 35.

This rule includes evolution through trading or any other way of evolving.
    So, this is where I'm at.
    If anyone would like to add to this, please shoot me up with some ideas. :)

-Loco

Edit: thought of a new one, added to the list.
    Edit2: I also have a request for ideas to make it "harder" to overlevel content. I am okay with having to switch to new Pokémon at certain times, but I can't figure out a neat rule to go with my type rule.
    Edit3: Thought of a new rule, added to the list.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2015
    Idk if It's already been said but a challenge where you can only use Pokemon that the gym leader last used (excluding your starter)

It seems a lot like that gym leader challenge but it's not

Like, Brock uses Onix last almost all the time. So when you beat brock, the only Pokemon you can catch is an onix. The list increases with each number of gym leaders you beat. It'd be really hard to find them, and you might not even get them, but it'd be interesting. Imo.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Idk if It's already been said but a challenge where you can only use Pokemon that the gym leader last used (excluding your starter)

It seems a lot like that gym leader challenge but it's not

Like, Brock uses Onix last almost all the time. So when you beat brock, the only Pokemon you can catch is an onix. The list increases with each number of gym leaders you beat. It'd be really hard to find them, and you might not even get them, but it'd be interesting. Imo.
    There's been a challenge similar to that where you used the type of the previous gym. I think that there may be a problem with yours where Pokemon may not appear in the area between two gyms.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2014
    When your Pokemon faints, you just quit the game.

There's been a challenge similar to that where you used the type of the previous gym. I think that there may be a problem with yours where Pokemon may not appear in the area between two gyms.

This is true, but would be hard when the gym's type is the complete opposite of the other gym.

Last edited by a moderator:

nikkissippi121

Pokémon Professor
    Years
    • Age 29
    • they/them
    • Maine
    • Seen Sep 2, 2022
    (Hope this is the right spot!) I've decided to do a self-imposed mini-challenge for ORAS; I think there's a similar challenge out there already, but, anyway, I'm restricting myself to 'mon that were available in the originals; this means no new evos (Gallade, Magnezone, etc.), no Mega Evos, and no Primal Reversion. Might enact a no-new-items clause, as well, so I can't use the Exp. Share (since it's really not the same thing) and so on.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Does anyone in here like Chrono Trigger? I was pretty into that game during the past few months and thought about making a challenge out of it. What I have is pretty good, but might be restrictive for anyone looking to play on, say, RBY. But I guess nowadays, people know when going into RBY that it's going to be restrictive haha.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2014
    How about this for a challenge: The Kyubey challenge base from the anime Puella Magi Madoka Magica
    Rules:
    -You must start with an espurr that will not evolve or die, if it faints, you can revive it.
    -You can only catch pokemon with espurr in battle
    -You can only catch the first female, non-final evolution pokemon you encounter in a new area
    - You can battle with your non-espurr pokemon but you can't catch other pokemon
    -You can only heal your pokemon after the battle
    - If your non-espurr pokemon faints, then it is no longer useable and you have to box or release it

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

How about this for a challenge: The Kyubey challenge base from the anime Puella Magi Madoka Magica
    Rules:
    -You must start with an espurr that will not evolve or die, if it faints, you can revive it.
    -You can only catch pokemon with espurr in battle
    -You can only catch the first female, non-final evolution pokemon you encounter in a new area
    - You can battle with your non-espurr pokemon but you can't catch other pokemon
    -You can only heal your pokemon after the battle
    - If your non-espurr pokemon faints, then it is no longer useable and you have to box or release it

Looks..okay? I guess. But I think this still looks like the standard Nuzlocke challenge, where the mentioned specifics would be simply placed under optional rules/exceptions. I feel the Kyubey, but the Nuzlocke more, which I am not totally happy about lol.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • -poops on Nuzlocke-

Sometimes I think about doing a Nuzlocke run, but then I remember I'd probably jump off a bridge if I tried that, haha.

For what it's worth on my Chrono Trigger challenge though, it follows the premise that most event challenges tend to have. Certain party members must meet certain criteria, etc. Though it is interesting with Frog and Magus. You don't have to have a Magus in your playthrough, but if you do, Frog must be a frog Pokemon. If you don't choose to have a Magus, then...

Spoiler:

yeah spoilers!!!!

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Question: Will we also be able to choose a team of antiheroes? 8D

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • hey guys what about a basic catch em all challenge
    i was looking around and couldn't find one
    Pokedex completion is already an accomplishment inside the game itself, and so I don't think we need to have a thread dedicated to it. At least not here, anyway.

AdamEternal

Vanished, poof, gone!
    Years
  • I have an idea for a Christmas challenge. (Sorry if there already was one, I couldn't see it.)

* Gift Exchange Rule - If there are any NPC trades in the town/route/area, you must complete that trade before you can go to any new area.
    * Gift Sell Rule - If there is somewhere you can sell something in the area, you must sell something to that shop (and any others in the area) that has a purpose other than simply being sold (ex. Nuggets = nope, potions = yup).
    * Gift Give Rule - Every time you challenge an NPC, note down the exact Pokemon that were on your team. (And since you have to do that, you can optionally nickname every Pokemon you get to make it easier.) Next time you're in an area that has a PC, you must go to that PC, and release one of the Pokemon that were on your team when you battled that NPC. (Unless you only have one Pokemon left or you don't have any Pokemon left from that battle.)
    * Do not do anything with other players. (Except maybe battle, but why would you?)
    * No hacking or cheating.
    * You win when you beat the champion of the game.

This is my first time thinking up a challenge. It might be a bit brutal because of the Gift Give rule, but it may also make it interesting. Thoughts?

Years
  • I have an idea for a Christmas challenge. (Sorry if there already was one, I couldn't see it.)

* Gift Exchange Rule - If there are any NPC trades in the town/route/area, you must complete that trade before you can go to any new area.
    * Gift Sell Rule - If there is somewhere you can sell something in the area, you must sell something to that shop (and any others in the area) that has a purpose other than simply being sold (ex. Nuggets = nope, potions = yup).
    * Gift Give Rule - Every time you challenge an NPC, note down the exact Pokemon that were on your team. (And since you have to do that, you can optionally nickname every Pokemon you get to make it easier.) Next time you're in an area that has a PC, you must go to that PC, and release one of the Pokemon that were on your team when you battled that NPC. (Unless you only have one Pokemon left or you don't have any Pokemon left from that battle.)
    * Do not do anything with other players. (Except maybe battle, but why would you?)
    * No hacking or cheating.
    * You win when you beat the champion of the game.

This is my first time thinking up a challenge. It might be a bit brutal because of the Gift Give rule, but it may also make it interesting. Thoughts?

The first flaw in the rules I spot is the trading one, because for some games you won't have the Pokemon required to be traded at that point. For instance, in RSE, you would normally go to Pacifidlog Town before beating Juan, the last Gym Leader. You are asked to trade a Bagon in Pacifidlog, but you cannot get a Bagon until you beat Juan.

Next, the vast majority of items are found outside of cities and towns, so would you have to sell them all or are there certain routes where you can keep items? Also, there may be some important items laying around so you could have some exceptions.

Furthermore, there is a loophole with the rule that you must release a Pokemon, because you can just bring in a random level 3 Pokemon and if you lose the battle you can just get rid of the level 3 then catch another low-level Pokemon to have in your roster. If you expanded on this rule, it could work, but try not to make it too much like a Nuzlocke.

As a whole, I think if you expanded and were more specific with things this wouldn't be such a bad challenge. But keep in mind you'd have to consider all the games for this and have exceptions for each. If you do wanna try and make this work, I'd try and get it done quickly because Christmas is just round the corner!

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • I've had an idea for a new challenge, and want to see if there is interest.

Basic Concept: What if your team were not limited to 6 Pokemon?

A fair few people here play with 4 Pokemon, because it's just enough to get good coverage and raise them easily. Some of us like 6 team members because it's harder and takes a bit more time. What if we took it a step further and said that you had to raise 8 Pokemon to E4 battling status by the time you get there? On top of this, you would have to choose which 6 you think would be best for a gym or the E4. So, what do you guys think? Is the Octomon Challenge worth starting?

Years
  • I've had an idea for a new challenge, and want to see if there is interest.

A fair few people here play with 4 Pokemon, because it's just enough to get good coverage and raise them easily. Some of us like 6 team members because it's harder and takes a bit more time. What if we took it a step further and said that you had to raise 8 Pokemon to E4 battling status by the time you get there? On top of this, you would have to choose which 6 you think would be best for a gym or the E4. So, what do you guys think? Is the Octomon Challenge worth starting?

I actually really like this idea, would definitely do this challenge. But when you make it, define what E4 status is (perhaps a minimum level, 45?), because some people might think 8 Pokemon at level 40 is okay but it really isn't. But yeah, the idea is great and simple, no complicated rules, it's something everyone can do :3

AdamEternal

Vanished, poof, gone!
    Years
  • The first flaw in the rules I spot is the trading one, because for some games you won't have the Pokemon required to be traded at that point. For instance, in RSE, you would normally go to Pacifidlog Town before beating Juan, the last Gym Leader. You are asked to trade a Bagon in Pacifidlog, but you cannot get a Bagon until you beat Juan.
    Huh, forgot about that. Yeah, I guess I'd have to modify that rule.
    [S-HIGHLIGHT]'You can only trade with other players for a Pokemon of the same level, or lower.' [/S-HIGHLIGHT]

Next, the vast majority of items are found outside of cities and towns, so would you have to sell them all or are there certain routes where you can keep items? Also, there may be some important items laying around so you could have some exceptions.
    I don't think I quite understand the first part. When you arrive at an area where you can sell stuff, sell whatever you want, as long as it has a purpose other than just being sold. Doesn't matter where you find the items. If you keep those Pokeballs you get at the start, you can "gift" them at the final shop. As for the second part, I'd have to make a list of 'exception items', but yeah, there could be some exceptions.
    Also, I noticed something. If you are at a shop, you could buy a Pokeball, then resell it, with minimal lost money. So maybe I should make a 'banned items' list of things you can't sell, mainly things you can get from shops. And maybe move the 'exception items' into the 'banned items' as well.

Furthermore, there is a loophole with the rule that you must release a Pokemon, because you can just bring in a random level 3 Pokemon and if you lose the battle you can just get rid of the level 3 then catch another low-level Pokemon to have in your roster. If you expanded on this rule, it could work, but try not to make it too much like a Nuzlocke.
    How about it must be level- Actually, I just did a bit of googling, and found out that there are extremely high level wild Pokemon that can be found. Any suggestions? :/

As a whole, I think if you expanded and were more specific with things this wouldn't be such a bad challenge. But keep in mind you'd have to consider all the games for this and have exceptions for each. If you do wanna try and make this work, I'd try and get it done quickly because Christmas is just round the corner!
    Replying from January 2nd, 2015, happy new year! :P

I've had an idea for a new challenge, and want to see if there is interest.

I think that's an interesting idea. I think that by the time you're going to beat the E4, you should have Pokemon of every type at level 50, 70, something like that. And dual-type Pokemon count, which means that you'd have 18-9 "E4 status" Pokemon. Then you beat the challenge by doing the routine Champion beat-down.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back