• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your suggestions for Essentials

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen today
Perhaps a way to order items and pokemon by number in the Editor/Debug selection.
Since evolutions of pokemon tend to be one after the other in pokedex number.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 1, 2016
I'm not sure if any of these were mentioned, (probably were) but here is some things I think should be implemented.

-Touch Screen/Dual Screen (I think this one is pretty important, maybe some think other wise.)
I know this was already done for previous versions, but I think it would be good to add to the current.

-Debug Menu Quick Find?
I think something like this was mentioned already, but it would be SO useful.
Basically add a option at the start of the debug menu, that allows you to select the first letter of the name you're searching for. This would apply to Meta Data/Warp To Map/Add Item/ Add Pokemon, ect.
(I could understand if something like this might not be worth doing, but it sure would be useful.)

-Following Pokemon
I know this was added for previous versions, I think it would be a nice extra to add to the current.
I know there is an event added by default to essentials to allow a player to follow/team battle with you.
It would be nice to have something similar but for your lead pokemon to follow you. It's also a feature in most pokemon games, even Pokemon Yellow.

-Two sided trainer card
I'd assume this would be fairly easy to do. It feels like there should be a back to a trainer card with additional info/badges, or what ever would be most useful.

I can't really think of anything else that is more important at the moment.
If I think of anything else, I'll post. :P

Years
I'm not sure if any of these were mentioned, (probably were) but here is some things I think should be implemented.

-Touch Screen/Dual Screen (I think this one is pretty important, maybe some think other wise.)
I know this was already done for previous versions, but I think it would be good to add to the current.

-Debug Menu Quick Find?
Basically add a option at the start of the debug menu, that allows you to select the first letter of the name you're searching for. This would apply to Meta Data/Warp To Map/Add Item/ Add Pokemon, ect.
(I could understand if something like this might not be worth doing, but it sure would be useful.)

-Following Pokemon
I know this was added for previous versions, I think it would be a nice extra to add to the current.
I know there is an event added by default to essentials to allow a player to follow/team battle with you.
It would be nice to have something similar but for your lead pokemon to follow you. It's also a feature in most pokemon games, even Pokemon Yellow.

-Two sided trainer card
I'd assume this would be fairly easy to do. It feels like there should be a back to a trainer card with additional info/badges, or what ever would be most useful.

I can't really think of anything else that is more important at the moment.
If I think of anything else, I'll post. :P

Touch Screen/Dual Screen already has a script, look up the Essentials D.S. Kit
Following Pokemon already has a script as well, of the same name, with the latest version made by me. It's fairly easy to install.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Perhaps a way to order items and pokemon by number in the Editor/Debug selection.
Since evolutions of pokemon tend to be one after the other in pokedex number.
-Debug Menu Quick Find?
Eh. You can use Page Up and Page Down to quickly scroll through any list. If you're looking for a thing in the list, you're going to know what it's called, and alphabetical order is perfectly understandable.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 1, 2016
Touch Screen/Dual Screen already has a script, look up the Essentials D.S. Kit
Following Pokemon already has a script as well, of the same name, with the latest version made by me. It's fairly easy to install.

Sorry, I made the mistake of over assuming, and this is not even the same project I was talking about. I thought this was essentially an MMO version being worked on. So none of those scripts will work in the MMO version. (which obviously makes sense, since it was not meant to work for it.

Maybe once I learn more, I'll be able to code/convert this type of stuff for the MMO version. Would be a fun challenge. I'm actually very surprised the MMO project is completely dead/not being worked on anymore?!

I will check out the D.S Kit out of curiosity, looks like there is a lot of nice stuff done.
I will likely never use it though, only because it's offline like v16.1, which I failed to realize. =/

You can ignore my entire previous post anyways, since it's not even related like I thought it was lol.. Sorry again for being off topic. I just didn't know/understand why, and that Pokemon Essentials is only being worked on as an offline/single player project these days. I assumed it was more like Pokémon MMO Kit 3.2.2. Assumption WRONG!

Years
^ Base Essentials will likely always be an offline/single-player thing. Why? Because making a game online/multiplayer is not just adding in a few lines of code. It's also owning a server to handle all the bandwidth of players interacting, and you'd need one server for each game made with Essentials. As such, if a game wants online features, it's on the game-creator's end to provide them, not Maruno's.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 1, 2016
^ Base Essentials will likely always be an offline/single-player thing. Why? Because making a game online/multiplayer is not just adding in a few lines of code. It's also owning a server to handle all the bandwidth of players interacting, and you'd need one server for each game made with Essentials. As such, if a game wants online features, it's on the game-creator's end to provide them, not Maruno's.

The only reason I don't really agree with you, is because a lot of the code in v16.1 and PokeMMO Kit are very similar. Also, if you are making a server, it's pretty unlikely you're planning on making multiple servers, aside from maybe a server for testing purposes. Tool wise isn't the issue, it's code wise. I have all the tools needed, and you're right, it is up to me to have the tools. You can't use tools without the scripts/code for online functionality.

PokeMMo Kit basically is Essentials V16.1, aside from the fact, obviously there is networking/ online features in the MMO Kit, and V16.1 is still being developed to this day, while MMO Kit isn't. I'm sure there is a lot of changes/improvements code wise, but I see tons of very similarities between the two.

For me it really comes down to logic
-How hard would this be to do? (Not too hard "I'd assume" seeing the similarities in code, and it's already been done before.)
-How useful would it be as opposed to not be. (Pretty obvious it's more useful than less.)

I personally think it would make more sense to have a cross/option of offline/online. Would it really be that hard to implement both online and offline? I think it makes so much more sense to have the choice between online/offline, but that's simply my opinion. It just seems much more logical, even if it is more difficult to do.
By the way, I mean absolutely no disrespect in any way to this project, or anyone.

Maruno

Years
The only reason I don't really agree with you, is because a lot of the code in v16.1 and PokeMMO Kit are very similar. Also, if you are making a server, it's pretty unlikely you're planning on making multiple servers, aside from maybe a server for testing purposes. Tool wise isn't the issue, it's code wise. I have all the tools needed, and you're right, it is up to me to have the tools. You can't use tools without the scripts/code for online functionality.

PokeMMo Kit basically is Essentials V16.1, aside from the fact, obviously there is networking/ online features in the MMO Kit, and V16.1 is still being developed to this day, while MMO Kit isn't. I'm sure there is a lot of changes/improvements code wise, but I see tons of very similarities between the two.

For me it really comes down to logic
-How hard would this be to do? (Not too hard "I'd assume" seeing the similarities in code, and it's already been done before.)
-How useful would it be as opposed to not be. (Pretty obvious it's more useful than less.)

I personally think it would make more sense to have a cross/option of offline/online. Would it really be that hard to implement both online and offline? I think it makes so much more sense to have the choice between online/offline, but that's simply my opinion. It just seems much more logical, even if it is more difficult to do.
By the way, I mean absolutely no disrespect in any way to this project, or anyone.
Take a look at any of the main series Pokémon games, and you'll notice that they're not MMOs. They're single-player games, with (optional) limited connectivity aspects allowing interaction with other games. Since Essentials is about recreating the main series games (give or take), MMO elements don't belong in it.

When I think of MMOs, I think of chat windows and logging on to servers and multiple players walking around in the same map. Those kinds of things are what I'm against. When you say MMO, you might actually mean "battling and trading with other players", which are features which have been in every Pokémon game, and which obviously are on the list of things Essentials would like to have. I would argue that you shouldn't use the term "MMO" to describe this, because it can be interpreted in multiple ways.

For the foreseeable future, I personally have no interest in any kind of online connectivity. I'd rather get the stuff that already exists working well first. You're welcome to have a go at it yourself.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 1, 2016
Take a look at any of the main series Pokémon games, and you'll notice that they're not MMOs. They're single-player games, with (optional) limited connectivity aspects allowing interaction with other games. Since Essentials is about recreating the main series games (give or take), MMO elements don't belong in it.

When I think of MMOs, I think of chat windows and logging on to servers and multiple players walking around in the same map. Those kinds of things are what I'm against. When you say MMO, you might actually mean "battling and trading with other players", which are features which have been in every Pokémon game, and which obviously are on the list of things Essentials would like to have. I would argue that you shouldn't use the term "MMO" to describe this, because it can be interpreted in multiple ways.

For the foreseeable future, I personally have no interest in any kind of online connectivity. I'd rather get the stuff that already exists working well first. You're welcome to have a go at it yourself.

I agree with you about the term MMO, and that is exactly the way I intended it to be perceived. That's the only way that it would really make sense to use the term, as you've stated.
I understand you have no intention of going the MMO route right now, I just didn't know, or understand why.

I understand you want to keep/get Essentials as close to the official games as possible. Of course it's more important to get official features/code/bugs fixed, it's pretty obvious that's top priority.

What I don't understand is this.
-You say you want to add/finish/fix existing/current code/features. I agree that is most important.
-What if you finish those current/existing/official game features?
Basically I'm just asking if you ever plan to add MMO type of online functionality to Essentials or not.
Just a straight yes or no would be nice, I'm just confused in the long term intentions for Essentials.
At any point in development do you plan this type of online functionality, or never ever?

Me have a go at it? Trust me, I'm no where near ready/knowledgeable to do such a task.
Don't think I'm acting like I know everything, it's actually quite the opposite for me when it comes to Essentials.
I'm pretty new with it in general, and couldn't even do anything close to what you have done.
I just wanted to clear that part up, because it seems like you think I'm saying I would be able to do that.
I would however like to get to that point in the future though.

I mean no disrespect to you, but the way you respond to people sometimes, is a little rude/condescending assumptive.
I personally could care less, because I don't get sensitive or offended easy, especially over the internet.. xD
I honestly haven't noticed this too much with you between our posts, but in response to others, it's definitely apparent at times. You do seem like a nice, intelligent person though, and maybe you just act/respond very directly. I don't know, it's just the way you word things some times.

Maruno

Years
Basically I'm just asking if you ever plan to add MMO type of online functionality to Essentials or not.
Just a straight yes or no would be nice, I'm just confused in the long term intentions for Essentials.
At any point in development do you plan this type of online functionality, or never ever?
Never. That's simply not what Essentials is about. The closest you'll get is a third-party spin-off pack, if someone bothers to make one.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 1, 2016
Never. That's simply not what Essentials is about. The closest you'll get is a third-party spin-off pack, if someone bothers to make one.

Alright, thanks for confirming that. I can stop being off topic now!

Years
I'm doubtful of saying this since there are templates but I think since it is "Essentials" it would be good to have maybe that template from newtiteuf at least. (I just don't have anything to do, waiting to buy rpg maker so I can make a thread on my project so that I can start working with a group....and I want to contribute to the PokeCommunity in some way. The things I've created are not worthy of being shared >.<)

Maruno

Years
I'm doubtful of saying this since there are templates but I think since it is "Essentials" it would be good to have maybe that template from newtiteuf at least.
I have no idea what that means. Are you talking about tilesets?

Years
Oh sorry I should've been more specific what I meant was a Overworld sprite template this can include from just the normal walking one to the ones for a trainer(surfing, fishing, fishing while surfing, bike, and running). I'm just saying this just in case of a possibility although I think you guys might just say that people can just search for it.

Years
I have no idea what that means. Are you talking about tilesets?

Oh sorry I should've been more specific what I meant was a Overworld sprite template this can include from just the normal walking one to the ones for a trainer(surfing, fishing, fishing while surfing, bike, and running). I'm just saying this just in case of a possibility although I think you guys might just say that people can just search for it.

I think he means the fr/lg version of this
http://keh-ven.deviantart.com/art/Pokemon-Overworld-Bases-128361333

Years
Well since the essentials consists of FR/LG graphics it would be nice to have a OW sprite template. (Honestly I was meaning the 4th gen template but a FR/LG template would make more sense for the essentials)

Maruno

Years
Either way, that's a resource, rather than something to include in Essentials. ROM hacking being popular and all, I'm sure you can find templates and tutorials and all that for Gen 3 graphics on the Interweb.

Lone_Darkrai

Darkrai Unleashed !
Years
Could you make it Compatible with RMMV.
it has a better mapping and tile system also it would open android platform for the pokemon hackers.

Years
Could you make it Compatible with RMMV.
Nope, this has already been addressed many times
it has a better mapping and tile system also it would open android platform for the pokemon hackers.
The better mapping and tile system means nothing. Android compatibility means nothing. Essentials is written in Ruby. RPG Maker MV uses Java. Ruby same not Java, and one can't really port from one to the other.
pokemon hackers.
ROM Hacking same not Fan Game Development.

That said, someone could make an Essentials-like kit for RPG Maker MV, but that's not the same as making Essentials for MV. As such, Maruno won't be the one doing it.

Years
Nope, this has already been addressed many times

The better mapping and tile system means nothing. Android compatibility means nothing. Essentials is written in Ruby. RPG Maker MV uses Java. Ruby same not Java, and one can't really port from one to the other.

ROM Hacking same not Fan Game Development.

That said, someone could make an Essentials-like kit for RPG Maker MV, but that's not the same as making Essentials for MV. As such, Maruno won't be the one doing it.
MV uses Javascript, not Java

Back