• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Gamedown: Week 4 - DS (Part 1)

Which game(s)?

• Diamond and Pearl

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Platinum

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • HeartGold & SoulSilver

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • Pokémon Gamedown
    Welcome to PGC's Pokémon Gamedown!

Pokémon Gamedown is a weekly poll series in which we put our heads together and decide as to which Pokémon video game is best within a particular console. Before we get started, let's take a quick look through our rules.

Guidelines

• There will be a new poll put up every week.
    • These polls will focus on Pokémon games from only one console, which will vary depending on the week.
    • We are all free to explain our choices.
    • Finally, or those who vote frequently, we will receive an emblem.
    This week, our poll aimed towards Nintendo DS, which includes the following games:

Game List

220px-PokemonDiamondBox.jpg

Diamond and Pearl

Wikipedia said:
    Pokémon Diamond Version and Pearl Version are role-playing games (RPGs) developed by Game Freak and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo DS. With the enhanced remake Pokémon Platinum, the games comprise the fifth installment and fourth generation of the Pokémon series of RPGs. First released in Japan on September 28, 2006, the games were later released to North America, Australia, and Europe over the course of 2007.

220px-Pokemon_Platinum.png

Platinum

Wikipedia said:
    Pokémon Platinum Version is a title in the Pokémon series of video games. It was developed by Game Freak and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo DS handheld game console. It is an enhanced remake of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl in the same vein as Pokémon Yellow, Crystal, and Emerald, which were remakes of Red and Blue, Gold and Silver, and Ruby and Sapphire, respectively. It was released on September 13, 2008, in Japan; March 22, 2009, in North America; May 14, 2009, in Australia and May 22, 2009, in Europe. The developers made Platinum with the intent of making it a stronger version of Diamond and Pearl, which they described as the "ultimate" Pokémon titles.

220px-Pokemon_SoulSilver.jpg

Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver

Wikipedia said:
    Pokémon HeartGold Version and SoulSilver Version (ポケットモンスター ハートゴールド&ソウルシルバー Poketto Monsutā Hātogōrudo & Sōrushirubā?, "Pocket Monsters: HeartGold & SoulSilver) are enhanced remakes of the 1999 video games Pokémon Gold and Silver. The games are part of the Pokémon series of role-playing video games, and were developed by Game Freak and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo DS. First released in Japan on September 12, 2009, the games were later released to North America, Australia, and Europe during March 2010.

Last week's winner: Pokémon Emerald

This event will be running until April 20th. Without further ado, let's get right to it!

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Since there's a ton of DS games in pokemon, I'd thought I'd do them in parts and throw them at you guys via generation, and then spinoffs, if that's okay with you all~

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Gen IV is my favourite Generation for games collectively. Sinnoh is probably my favourite Region and then we have the brilliant remakes that are HGSS. Overall though, I'd definitely say Platinum is my favourite due to the replay value, additional characters, storyline, areas etc.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • HGSS. Is anyone surprised a guy who modded HGSS says that? =p

GSC were great games imo, and HGSS really improved on them and rounded out a bunch of things. Unlike others I'm not very fussed by the level curve of the remakes. The touches to events like TR were neat enough, and the postgame was greatly improved on. The lack of Seafoam Islands, Cerulean Cave, Rock Tunnel, Viridian Forest in GSC - all fixed! (Sans Mt. Moon but who cares about that cave seriously). More side stuff was added in too - the Safari Zone became Pal Park, we got a new Safari Zone, we got the Pokeathlon, Gym Leader rematches, the Pokewalker... and then stuff like the removal of having to hold B to run, a cleaner menu, Pokemon following you around...

Simply too much for me to be able to not vote for HGSS.

I like Platinum too though, don't get me wrong. I would be surprised if anyone who played both Platinum and one of DP would vote for the latter though. DP were good fun, but Platinum did a great job in polishing its issues (Pokemon distribution - poor fire types, surf speeds, etc) and adding more content to the large amount DP already had with the Battle Frontier, the whole Distortion World, etc. And that's on top of an already decent and lengthy adventure which also had the amazing Underground. But that's not enough for me, not compared to HGSS. =p

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Platinum would probably be the best game in the series if the frame rate wasn't so sluggish. Probably has the best post-game of the series and the range of pokémon was pretty nice (lack of fire-types withstanding), team galactic were actually really interesting and the gyms were very challenging. I would love to play through this game again but the frame rate and slow place makes it harder to come back to than even the GBA games.

HG/SS are decent remakes of G/S, although I never really liked G/S due to it's awkward pacing and the post-game dragging painfully.

Years
  • This is a tough decision, as I do really like both of these games, but I have to give it to Platinum. I still like the Pokémon that it has more, and there was a lot to do playing through it. I liked HGSS, it had plenty as well, but Platinum has to get my vote. And although DP aren't as good now, I still have my Pearl version with that long save time.

Years
  • I haven't played Platinum so I can't rate that one and it's a choice between D/P and HG/SS for me. Since I played Gold back in the day I guess nostalgia reasons play a part in this too (and I have a soft spot for some of the older Pokémon...memories...). Generally remakes have an advantage since there is not a new story to build so the developers can focus on other additional features (at least that's how I think it is). Here the Pokéathlon comes to mind which a spent a great deal of time with. The Pokéwalker was also a nice addition, even though I never took it out with me. Also, when I think of both games HG/SS graphics/locations/routes seem a lot prettier to me. Last, who doesn't like a Pokémon game where you can travel multiple regions?

Years
  • I'm on the team who picks Platinum as well.

There's a lot of content in this game, and it's a huge improvement from its older Sinnoh counterparts Diamond & Pearl in terms of speed and regional Pokedex distribution. HG/SS were great, but Platinum had more of my faves in it so that was another backing behind it getting my vote. I never finished the main story but I might one day actually try should I get around to it.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Again, Pearl was my first DS game I brought and was thrilled to play after getting my DS. but my heart goes to Johto remakes more because walking pokemon is my favorite thing I can walk with my Darkrai or giratina whenever I want, though plat also appealing. But my votes goes to HGSS because HGSS seems like yellow where player walks with pikachu.

Back