• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Out of all the main games, which could you have gone without playing?

Which was your least favorite Pokemon game?

• Red/Blue

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Yellow

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Gold/Silver

• Crystal

• Ruby/Sapphire

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Emerald

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Firered/Leafgreen

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Diamond/Pearl

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Platinum

• Heartgold/Soulsilver

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Black/White

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • Black2/White2

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • X/Y

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • OR/AS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Babebraham

Just being here is good enough.
Years
  • Which main series Pokemon game could you have gone without playing and why?

(by that I mean which game interested you the least after you had beat it/ which game did you dislike the most.)

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • Probably Emerald. I don't think I got anything significant out of it.

Then again it has been about 10 years since I last touched it.

Babebraham

Years
  • I didn't even finish Pokemon Black. I don't like 5th Gen Pokemon and Unova in general.

White is the only Pokemon game that I have only beat once. I adore all the pokemon that were introduced but I didn't care for the story or the characters and the fact you could only catch Unova Pokemon (besides Magikarp) bothered me immensely.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Black & White, for sure. Like Espuwott said, the Pokemon it introduced were great, but all in all the game felt lackluster to me and I'm not a fan of how the whole game was structured...too linear, not much exploration to be done. The story was the best thing it had going for it, but once I finished that up I didn't really care much to do anything else.

Years
  • White is the only Pokemon game that I have only beat once. I adore all the pokemon that were introduced but I didn't care for the story or the characters and the fact you could only catch Unova Pokemon (besides Magikarp) bothered me immensely.

That bothered me too. I know B2/W2 got rid of that problem, though. It still wasn't enough. Sadly I was disappointed when that generation got introduced. There were some Pokemon designs I liked very much(Chandelure, Volcarona, Reshiram which is my favorite legendary design) but the rest didn't impress me enough. I stayed with Platinum for a long time.

Babebraham

Years
  • That bothered me too. I know B2/W2 got rid of that problem, though. It still wasn't enough. Sadly I was disappointed when that generation got introduced. There were some Pokemon designs I liked very much(Chandelure, Volcarona, Reshiram which is my favorite legendary design) but the rest didn't impress me enough. I stayed with Platinum for a long time.

I thought B2/W2 were significantly better than B/W. Better story, more Pokemon, more features, etc. I loved the World Tournament and PokeStar Studios and such. I find myself replaying time and time again.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen today
    I agree that Gen V had plenty of problems in linearity and difficulty (seriously, gen IV was the last time I genuinely found a gym battle difficult). BW's plot, the OST and only a handful of Pokémon and cities were all that stood out to me, tbh.
    Still, I would have to say Diamond thanks its slow framerate and bad Pokédex. Platinum was, by far, a massive improvement in all aspects.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • pokemon black. i think i finished the game, but i don't even remember the game at all. it could have just been skipped.

Years
  • To answer the question of the thread, there's no one main game I could have gone without playing per se, but today I would go with either GSC or RS.

And now I'll make my way out of the thread before either of two certain users give their 9000th rant about B2W2. *flees*

Years
  • This is likely going to tick quite a few people off but I would have to say X and Y. I also wasn't a fan of ORAS. And no, I am not a genwunner.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Although D/P are my least favorite games, I voted for FR/LG due to how the question is being asked.

D/P has some flaws which to me if they are fixed it could've been a very good Pokemon game (which most of them are fixed in Platinum), such as the slow battling and the limited Pokedex pre-Champion, but the games are really memorable for me: The Champion battle which is one of the most challenging battles for me (along with Lucian and in some ways the final battle against Cyrus), the awesome music, the interesting Poketch app, and more.

FR/LG to me is indeed better than D/P, but the problem is that there's really not much difference (like what Achromatic posted) compared with the originals. Yes, there's the held items, abilities, the Sevii Islands, the VS. Seeker and more, but other than that, FR/LG is not really much different compared with the originals for me. When I was doing a FR/LG run I found myself speedrunning the game and using the team which was almost the same as the one I had for the original, and it ended up being my shortest Pokemon main game run compared with the other games. After I beat it, even though it's great, it's less memorable compared with D/P and I don't mind skipping it for later.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    The games of the fifth generation: Pokemon BW and their sequels. I remember enjoying the new features and the Pokemon... and it ends there. I cannot remember anything else about these games. People often say that the story of these games were great but I couldn't remember anything about it (or I probably did not pay attention as I was playing). I may have to replay it another time soon just so I can immerse myself in the story, hah

Majestic Electric

Raining on your parade!
    Years
  • I'd have to say Diamond / Pearl. The pace of battles was too slow for my liking and surfing was just....unbearable. That's not to say I hated Gen IV, since I loved Platinum and Heartgold / SoulSilver. I just think Platinum was definitely the stronger version of the Sinnoh games.

Sirfetch’d

I haven't really disliked any games but with that said, BW2 didn't do a whole lot for me tbh. I did enjoy playing them but overall they felt a bit rushed and more like filler games to ease us over until gen 6 came along. They have the least replay value for me and I don't think that I would have missed out on much had I never picked them up.

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    I enjoyed playing all of the games. Each of them had good and bad things. I could have gone without Gold and Silver. They were fun to play but didn't really draw me in. They were kind of boring at times and the Elite Four wasn't very challenging to me either. That's just me though.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I want to say BW2, but can't, as I haven't completely finished playing them. Aside from these two, honestly, I can't think of anything, unfortunately.

Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2017
    Black and White 2. Just wasn't an interesting game and is the only one I have never completed

Back