• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Did you ever regret playing the 5th gen games?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • So tell me, from your own experience, did you ever regret playing the games for the 5th gen? Maybe they were so bad that you've regretted playing them? Or maybe there was something else for this factor? Or, do you have no regrets at all, and if so, why not?

Feel free to share thoughts!

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    Short answer: no.

Fifth Gen has been my absolute favorite generation of Pokemon games. They really managed to get me involved in the stories and actually interested in characters beyond my own, something I have yet to experience elsewhere in the main series. I genuinely enjoy just running around Unova and visiting all the different cities, the region design was so well done. Graphically speaking they were my favorite games as well, they just had this nice blend of sprites and 3D that I felt really worked. And the post-game was just icing on the cake, and has really made me keep coming back over the years.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Not at all.

Personally I enjoyed 5th Gen a whole lot because it adds many good things like unlimited TMs and critical capture as well. Besides of that, the story in both BW and B2W2 are interesting in their own right, and visiting Unova region is enjoyable as well, which makes 5th Gen as one of the best Pokémon generation of all time.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Heck no! There's no way I could ever regret playing a Pokemon game. With 5th gen in particular, it tried a lot of new things that hadn't been done in games previous, like having a more intricate plot and being more story-driven overall. So I think it's worth playing for any Pokemon fan out there, if for nothing else than because there's no other Pokemon games quite like them.

I still get a lot of enjoyment out of Black/White 2, actually. It's nice to try my hand at the PWT every once in a while. I even still sometimes put in a lot of work catching and EV training Pokemon for the PWT in White 2. They're great games with a ton of replay value, so no way I could regret them :)

Years
  • Nope, definitely not.

The others may have spoken for me here, but they are indeed right. 5th Gen has so much that helps it stand out, such as memorable characters, a neat blend of sprites and 3D models, and sizable postgame content that definitely gives me replay value.

I feel like that even after a new generation comes, I always find myself coming back to Unova at some point, because it's a region that's so special.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • No until Kalos, Unova was my favorite. Kalos and Unova are now ranked 1st and 2nd to me. The 5th Gen games had a great story, way different from those of past games. I loved the number of new pokemon. I loved every gym leader. And some of my favorite pokemon come from Unova.

Only reason people hate it so much was because we didn't get old pokemon till after. People say the designs suck, but some of the Kanto and Johto designs are far worst. People are just nostalgia blind.

Years
  • In before Peitharchia makes me want to bang my head against a wall repeatedly for the 513764985243th time

That said... To me the BW/anti-B2W2 fans are still as off-putting as they've ever been, and they have tainted my views on BW a little, but i'll always be one for this generation for everything it has to offer. I've already talked so many times about what both games have to offer and makes them so great to play, and I look forward to finishing my current Black 2 adventure.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    I am not entirely sure how someone would regret playing them, unless they completely hated them and felt like they shouldn't have touched them at all and they were a waste of time which they could have spent doing something else :p In which case they probably wouldn't have finished it and quit partway through.

They were my least favourite, but did I regret it? No, because it was fun, and if I wasn't liking them and wasn't enjoying myself I'd have put it down and went off to do something else instead.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Nope, I liked it for providing a different experience and loved how the game took a different approach.

Also, some of the new Pokemons are now some of my most favorites too and some of the music is fantastic too.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • Absolutely not. In fact, I regret now being active around here around their release and such. When I finally picked them up I did a blind Nuzlocke for the first playthrough and they were by far my most enjoyable experiences.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I never felt a love for a Pokemon Game as strong as I did with Silver/Gold/Crystal before B/W/B2/W2. These games are definitely really special for me. I love the fifth Generation!! <3 I'll play them again and again and again. They have good hacks too (Purewhite and Pitchblack).

Years
  • Definitely not. I really enjoyed the games. My big regret is that I haven't played through them again a second time yet. (I had 400 hours playtime and on my current save I have maybe 20 minutes.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I don't think I have ever regretted playing a Pokémon game (except Gates of Infinity but... ugh) so no, I don't regret it. While they aren't my favorites and I remain pretty vocal about that, I do still appreciate them for what they are.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2016
    Black/White was an amazing game. I could never regret playing it.
    If anything, I regret never completing BW2. For whatever reason I just couldn't get "into it" at the time. And I think I've been spoiled too much by gen 6 graphics to go back to it and play the postgame of it.

Years
  • Oh, hell no. I think that the Fifth Gen revolutionized Pokemon with many of its introductions, i.e. unlimited TMs, Dream World, improved graphics, and a deep story line; plus, I find the characters more three-dimensional than the ones in other games. These games were also the first to start have moving Pokemon sprites (not that Sixth Gen didn't totally kill their hype with three-d animation) and better animation on the Pokemon's moves. Black/White and Black 2/White 2 were great games and it'd be a sad story if I hadn't played them.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Not at all. I enjoy how fast-paced they are.

I just wish the starters were better. They're probably the worst in the series. Sinnoh got us spoiled, then BW came out with much inferior starters. :(

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I didn't really enjoy them but I wouldn't go so far to say I regret playing them. The only pokemon I really cared for was Conkeldurr and Hydreigon for in game use. In competitive obviously there's a few more that end up being used, but I just don't enjoy it.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • No I did not regret playing Fifth Gen.

Whilst Gen 5 had some odd decisions particularly regarding Pokemon availability. (No old Pokemon until Post-game in B/W and no catchable Pikachu at all) Gen 5 did a lot right.

They had the best designed protagonist in the series (Hilda), a storyline involving a sympathetic villain (N), introduced reusable TM's, the best Elite Four in the entire series, excellent music and B2/W2 has the best post-game content in the entire series for me.

Gen 5 also bought in some of my favourite Pokemon like Lilligant, Whimsicott and Gothitelle along with two impressive Dragon Pokemon in Hydreigon and Haxorus.

On the negative side Alder and Iris were not good Champions and some of the Pokemon designs were uninspiring but no more than any other Gen.

My favourite games to play in the series is White 2 which I have completed numerous times.

Back