• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Top Five Competitive Types

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    What are your favorite types to use competitively? Mine are:

1. Dragon: Not much to say about this one, dragons are dragons.
    2. Grass: Has many good staller/annoyer Pokemon
    3. Ground: STAB Earthquake. How can you go wrong with that.
    4. Normal: Fairly balanced type, can be powerful when used correctly. (Kangaskhan)
    5. Flying: Avoids earthquake, a move used often, and depending on how you use it, can be very powerful, with access to Brave Bird, Roost, etc.

That's my top 5, not in that order.

Last edited:

srinator

those are a few and inaccurate ways at looking at competitively viable mons, regardless of the type its the pokemon that decides its faith.
    needless you are forgetting types like dark,fairy,fire,steel and dragon.
    dark is right now one of the most offensive type in the game esp after the steel nerf closely followed by fire and dragon. fairy/steel is an amazing defensive as well offensive type. having things like a mega gardevoir's hyper voice, it retains its name as a offensive type also.

but in the end it is the mon itself that matters and not the type (well the type does matter but does not solely decide a mon's future in competitive battling).

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    those are a few and inaccurate ways at looking at competitively viable mons, regardless of the type its the pokemon that decides its faith.
    needless you are forgetting types like dark,fairy,fire,steel and dragon.
    dark is right now one of the most offensive type in the game esp after the steel nerf closely followed by fire and dragon. fairy/steel is an amazing defensive as well offensive type. having things like a mega gardevoir's hyper voice, it retains its name as a offensive type also.

but in the end it is the mon itself that matters and not the type (well the type does matter but does not solely decide a mon's future in competitive battling).

That's not really what I meant by my post, what I meant was something like "Which types have some of the best Pokemon", but I won't blame you for getting the wrong message.

cjakabuck90

Rising Star
    Years
  • Ground, ghost, flying, fire, fairy, steel

Their resistances and immunities make switching in or out a little safer if you're predicting. I'd also include normal, fighting, grass, and dark as they can be useful as well but typically just as counters

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • If you were to make a team of six Pokemon to use competitively, which types would they be if no two Pokemon could have the same type (with reasons) I'll start with mine as an example

1. Ghost: Good way to disable any normal/fighting types and force the oponent to switch out
    2. Grass: Has many good staller/annoyer Pokemon
    3. Rock: Covers many weaknesses for grass, thus going well together
    4. Normal: Fairly balanced type, can be powerful when used correctly
    5. Flying: Avoids earthquake, a move used often, and depending on how you use it, can be very powerful.

That's my top 5, not in that order.

I'm really surprised you didn't put steel or dragon on there, those are like -the- types people vie to consider competitively. Dragon so much so, that fairy was introduced as a huge bloddy middle finger, and steel so much that they lopped off two of its resistances in sixth gen. Plus ya get things like Ferrothorn, Salamence, Garchomp, Heatran, Lucario, Dragonite, etc all those A-list mons just between the two of 'em.

But hey, interesting to hear from you on that. I am surprised you did include rock too. While it's regarded as a 'defensive type', and kinda is stat wise - it just really doesn't have the weak/resist types to do that at alllll. 5 weaknesses to kinda common attack types, and 4 resistances, to debatably half and half common / uncommon offensive types? ehhhhhhhhh. Plus its water and grass weaknesses coupled with poor sp def just make it outright fragile by itself.

But enough of that, Iiiii'd say for mine, uhhhh - Steel, Fairy, Fighting, Ghost, and Flying.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • In no particular order:

1. Fairy Type- This type counters three of the best offensive types in competitive- dark, fighting, and dragon. It has only two weaknesses, poison and steel. Both are terrible offensively and built more for physical defense. Fairy type is generally specially attacking, which is useful against its two weaknesses as well as having good special defensive bulk.

2. Flying Type- While not great defensively, this type packs a punch. Between brave bird and roost's recovery, flying type pokemon have the ability to deal a lot of damage very quickly and can regain some health lost from recoil. Bird Spam is one of the most powerful strategies in OU. It also has a handy immunity to ground type.

3. Steel Type- This type is terrible offensively, although it does have an amazing type advantage with the common fairy type. On top of having above average defense, it has many resistances. This makes these types amazing defensive walls. However, they do lack recovery out of lefties and rest talk. They often have some form of entry hazards such as stealth rock and spikes. Steel type pokemon also make great phazers because of their access to entry hazards, roar, and whirlwind. In conclusion, the steel type is great defensively and as utility.

4. Normal Type- Has an immunity to ghost type and has one weakness with fighting type. However, ghost is immune to it. Most normal types are physically based, and all of them have access to return, one of the most powerful moves in the game. Many of them are tanky. You can never go wrong with a normal type because they also have great coverage moves with ground, dark, fighting, and more. They are also amazing set up sweepers with curse and swords dance. This type also has easy access to priority quick attack, and to a lesser extent, extreme speed.

5. Grass type- Many people overlook this type because of its crippling five weaknesses. However, these pokemon have great defensive stats, so they can generally take 1-2 super effective hits at full health. They are often dual-typed with poison, negating weakness and gaining offensive coverage. They are also full of status moves. You always have to watch out for a stun spore, toxic, or sleep-inducing move. They also have great recovery with leech seed and synthesis. Oh, and don't forget that rage powder in doubles.

Honorable Mentions:

6. Fighting, Dark, and Dragon type- All three types have an innate ability to sweep whole teams granted there are no fairy or flying types there to wreck them. All are generally pretty frail, with the exception begin dragon type. Fighting and dark types have priority in sucker punch and mach punch. And coupled with the common swords dance, hone claws, and agility they can and will annihilate your whole team if you aren't careful. The dark type has a high speed tier, and the fighting type has a slightly above average speed tier (this hurts them a lot). The dragon type is a whole different beast. This type sits around a base 80-100 speed tier. However, they have a variety of boosting moves such as swords dance and dragon dance (which also raises their speed). The only thing holding them back is that they aren't super effective on any type, except themselves, fairy type is immune to their stab (which is why i run poison jab on my haxorus), and lacks priority. Otherwise, you have to watch out for their powerful attacks consisting of dragon claw, earthquake, and outrage.

In case you were wondering why i primarily listed defensive and physically offensive types is because that is what the meta is right now. It is dominated by physical attackers, and the only counters are naturally defensive types.

Edit: I haven't played competitive in like five weeks (terrible, i know), so if i got any facts wrong, just tell me. I need to get back into it. :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Edit: I haven't played competitive in like five weeks (terrible, i know), so if i got any facts wrong, just tell me. I need to get back into it. :)

I myself haven't played competitive in a long time, mainly because I'm busy with other stuff, and when I have the time I usually focus on team building, and not the actual battling, so lol.
    Also, don't worry, this topic is meant to be opinion based, so you can't really get any facts wrong :)

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • I myself haven't played competitive in a long time, mainly because I'm busy with other stuff, and when I have the time I usually focus on team building, and not the actual battling, so lol.
    Also, don't worry, this topic is meant to be opinion based, so you can't really get any facts wrong :)

I have the same habit. I think about team building a whole lot. I'll start... This week, hopefully.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Interesting nobody said water yet. Which is good, considering water is so freaking overrated.

Anyway.

1. Rock - Stealth Rock. That is all. Well not really, there are also some great Rock-types in OU, such as Tyranitar with its extreme mixed bulk, Dragon Dance and a nice lead set, Mega Aero with its speed and decent power and Rhyperior with its ability to counter bird spam.
    2. Flying - Speaking of bird spam, this type is really good in XY with the introduction of Talonflame and the fact that steels are less prevalent. Talonflame and Staraptor are really good choice abusers, while Tornadus-T can be really annoying to kill due to Regenerator. Don't forget about Thundurus and Landorus too, although they aren't really renowned for their flying-type coverage, especially in Lando's case.
    3. Dark - Knock Off is a retarded move this gen. There's also Pursuit and Sucker Punch. Bisharp gets them all, plus a nice Steel typing. Greninja, Mega Gyara, Weavile and Hydreigon also deserve a mention. Greninja is a great water-type all-out attacker, Mega Gyara is a good user of DD, Weavile is a good utility Pokemon with access to Pursuit, Knock Off and priority (Ice Shard), as well as being a good late-game cleaner, while Hydreigon is absolutely impossible to outright counter due to its incredible coverage, as well as a nice SmashPass abuser.
    4. Dragon - Despite the addition of fairy-types, Dragon is still one of the best types in my opinion. Most good dragon-types have ways to get past fairies (Sludge Wave, Iron Tail, Poison Jab, +2 Earthquakes). Also, Latios has Defog.
    5. Steel - This type was amazing last gen, but it took a massive hit since it lost its Ghost and Dark weaknesses. Regardless, it's still great because it still resists Flying, Rock and Dragon, which is really good in the metagame.

Back