• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your writing steroids

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 5, 2024
    What do you use to aid you when you write?
    Are there any 'rituals' you have when going about making a new post?
    I for example listen to Dan Bull's monopoly rap when I'm writing for Lorenzo from Venice, I love the pretentiousness of the lyrics, it really gets me in the head of the character.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Reading other people's posts in the RP helps for me--even if I've already read them before, I read them over again before I start writing my post. I like to get a good feel for the general tone of the RP at the moment, and plus it helps me get submerged into the plot.

Also, when writing for Camelot Trigger, I like to listen to the opening theme of Knights of Sidonia, because that anime reminds me so much of the RP, and it's just an awesome tune :)

Years
  • Reading other people's posts in the RP helps for me--even if I've already read them before, I read them over again before I start writing my post. I like to get a good feel for the general tone of the RP at the moment, and plus it helps me get submerged into the plot.

Also, when writing for Camelot Trigger, I like to listen to the opening theme of Knights of Sidonia, because that anime reminds me so much of the RP, and it's just an awesome tune :)

Pretty much this. I re-read previous posts and play music and pray that these things result in inspiration.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Either I sit at the computer for a few hours, listen to metal and bang my head against the screen until something clicks or I just write and hope it doesn't come out shitty.

Quest

Veteran Roleplayer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2023
    I guess it really just depends on how much of a steroid I need at the time. Sometimes, I can just sit down and start writing without any help. Other times, I need to have EDM or Drum and Bass in the background.

I suppose my most efficient steroid is actually brainstorming with my pair. Even when we're participating in completely different RPs, a different view of how to work out a post or writer's block can fix anything.​

Years
  • I presume by "steroid" you mean for overcoming writer's block? My method is surprisingly simple. I step away from the post, go make a sandwich, then come back. Usually I come up with something while I'm at the fridge, and start typing.

Other times, I come up with nothing, so I deny myself that sandwich until I get an idea. Food sitting on a plate just out of reach can often be an amazing motivator, for some reason.

Don't ask me why, but Sandwich Therapy (TM) works wonders for writer's block.

{Swan}

I Never Asked For This.
    Years
  • I usually walk the dog when I really can't figure something out. Sometimes I just gotta get away from the demanding screen and just walk a bit. That Sandwhich Therapy (TM) sounds very interesting though, I might just try it out sometime!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Apart from Sopheria's and gimmepie's method, I also get very inspired by planning with other people in the rp. JPing is useful but also hyping plans in the OOC or skype chat :) that way, I get excited and look forward to writing the actual post.

VillageofDragons

On hiatus from PC forever
    Years
  • There really isn't any "ritual" that I do before making a post in a Roleplay or even think about anything. I just go in and have a good time. That's all that anyone cares about in Role-plays.

No, I don't mean I go in oblivious to what's going on in the Role-play at the time, how other people's characters will respond, or the plot or tone of the story and how you're expected to make your posts, but anyone with a level head and common sense knows to consider those things. I just assumed when you say Writing Steroids you mean specifically anything that could help you actually make your posts, knowing everything about the Role-play, its story, and characters. I don't do anything like that. I feel like Writer's Block is usually caused by hesitation in how you want to make your post.

I presume by "steroid" you mean for overcoming writer's block? My method is surprisingly simple. I step away from the post, go make a sandwich, then come back. Usually I come up with something while I'm at the fridge, and start typing.

Other times, I come up with nothing, so I deny myself that sandwich until I get an idea. Food sitting on a plate just out of reach can often be an amazing motivator, for some reason.

Don't ask me why, but Sandwich Therapy (TM) works wonders for writer's block.

LOL, this "Writing Steroid" method is my favorite now. I think I might try it sometime.

Years
  • Not so much a steroid, but more a of method; the way I formulate a post is to walk around my house, pacing back and forth. I'm not so sure why, but movement tends to get the cogs moving. This even applies to work, as I'm on my lunch break, I still pace about the offices just thinking of the best way to get my work done.

Back