• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Why do you think Black and White has recieved so many bad remarks?

Blues-Music

Pokemon researcher
Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2012
    i'm not sure why everyone was excpecting a gameplay difference.
    Its not pokemon without the gameplay.

Everyone seems to hate the new pokemon even though they only use garbodor , and vanilluxe as examples.

For some reason people are mad they can't grind anymore.Thats supposed to make you happy.Instead of just mashing the A button while walking on tall grass you have to be smart , and actually work for level ups through fighting trainers , and making up strategies to help you gain EXP.

I think people became a little more steorotypical about games now thinking that every good company failed ever since sega , and rareware.People started to think its impossible for a new good game to be realesed so the started calling every game bad.I think if people were more optimistic about the new generations of game they will see B/W for the glory that it is.

People all so say that gamefreak lost ideas for pokemon.Actually the new pokemon are more original than the old ones.I am not saying the old ones were bad , but anybody could think of them.A lizard , a frog , and a turtle.Add a rock , and pterodactyl , and some cats.I'm not calling them unoriginal , or bad , but most of the things they were themed of were just ordinary life things with not much twist.Thats not really a bad thing , but in pokemon white the pokemon has some sort of twists to them.Trubish was created because radiation to garbage.Chandelure is a chandelier possesed by a spirit.Yeah tons of pokemon had those twists in the first game , but there are tons of them here too.I honestly find the idea of an anteater that is geared up with a flame thrower that can breathe fire through its giant nose is actually pretty original.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • Are you joking? Audino is the best addition in BW. It makes grinding a lot more convenient. I've never heard of anyone that liked grinding, seems like you need your head checked.

I like grinding, or rather, the satisfaction that comes after doing it. It's extremely satisfying to see your now high-leveled Pokemon after hours of grinding. Judging by your comment, I'm assuming that you're one of the Action Replay users.

Everyone seems to hate the new pokemon even though they only use garbodor , and vanilluxe as examples.
    Uh, no. I hate many more of the new Pokemon. Trubbish line, Gothita line, Vanillite line, Woobat line, Elemental Monkeys, Vullaby line, Klink line, Munna line, Emolga, Basculin, Alomomola, Musketeer Trio, all 3 Kyurem forms, Genesect, and so on.

For some reason people are mad they can't grind anymore.Thats supposed to make you happy.Instead of just mashing the A button while walking on tall grass you have to be smart , and actually work for level ups through fighting trainers , and making up strategies to help you gain EXP.
    Yes, because mashing the A button while fighting Audinos and holding the Lucky Egg is such a strategic move.

I think people became a little more steorotypical about games now thinking that every good company failed ever since sega , and rareware.People started to think its impossible for a new good game to be realesed so the started calling every game bad.I think if people were more optimistic about the new generations of game they will see B/W for the glory that it is.
    Uh, glory? I'm sorry, but I see no "glory" in this bowel movement of a game. It was too easy, most of the new Pokemon sucked, Team Plasma was a joke, N was a boring stereotypical bishie, the region was painfully linear, the two rivals were both ridiculously annoying, there were yet again too many legendaries, and there was no postgame and no rematches.

In other words, there is no glory, and there never will be.

People all so say that gamefreak lost ideas for pokemon.Actually the new pokemon are more original than the old ones.I am not saying the old ones were bad , but anybody could think of them.A lizard , a frog , and a turtle.Add a rock , and pterodactyl , and some cats.I'm not calling them unoriginal , or bad , but most of the things they were themed of were just ordinary life things with not much twist.Thats not really a bad thing , but in pokemon white the pokemon has some sort of twists to them.Trubish was created because radiation to garbage.Chandelure is a chandelier possesed by a spirit.Yeah tons of pokemon had those twists in the first game , but there are tons of them here too.
    I'm sorry, but I'd rather raise a firebreathing lion-dog than a mutant ice cream cone.

I honestly find the idea of an anteater that is geared up with a flame thrower that can breathe fire through its giant nose is actually pretty original.
    I'm sorry, but when a Pokemon is part tool (in this case a blowtorch), it just doesn't feel like a Pokemon. What's next, a Pokemon that is part chainsaw?

Last edited:

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I like grinding, or rather, the satisfaction that comes after doing it. It's extremely satisfying to see your now high-leveled Pokemon after hours of grinding. Judging by your comment, I'm assuming that you're one of the Action Replay users.
    I stopped reading right there. I'm going to stand up for Cerberus87 here and say that Audino is the best thing that could have happened to Black. You saw how the experience earning was modified, yes? It would have taken eons - EONS - to level up any Pokémon without Audino grinding being possible at almost any level. Further, the Audinos are themselves a difficult opponent (unless you walk in with their weakness, the Fighting type, or a Pokémon well over-leveling it) in terms of the number of hits you have to hit it with. Of course, by the time you hit Route 10, at Lv.35, they start using Heal Pulse, healing YOU; that becomes much easier (and esp. Route 11 and others at Lv.47-50) unless one or two hits would otherwise, well, kill you.

Never once have I used an Action Replay myself. While I am thinking of it, it would have nothing to do with cheating on experience; I would use it strictly for cloning (and since I have an EB Keldeo, that could come in handy before I have Sacred Sword taught to it). So no, I am not an experience cheater; there would be no reward for multiplying by 512 (besides, the 10,000 Exp. that a Lv.1 would acquire starting an Audino battle holding a Lucky Egg would become well over a million, their Exp. at Lv.100, and the 5,000 also for a similarly-leveled Pokémon to the Audinos in Route 11, making the entire process moot and making any three-level evos unable to evolve to the third level - ever - and also, there is nothing fulfilling about cheating like that).

I grind the hard way on the Audinos. I love having the quick way to earn experience. And I am offended on behalf of Cerberus87 that you could make such an accusation of cheating. I believe you owe Cerberus87 an apology.

Cyclone

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    So hopefully this'll have to be the last time I do this. Some of you are taking debating here a little too seriously, and end up insulting other users, telling them to shut up, saying they use cheats based on a simple statement, etc. While on the other hand, there's designs discussion and things that actually fit into the other threads but you guys aren't actually posting what's necessary in the right threads. I know there's some good posts here which is why I really don't want to lock it, and I'm giving it one more chance. There's a lot of other threads somewhat similar and I'd hate to have to destroy discussion here so I'd much rather if all of you behaved from now on and used the appropriate threads for the appropriate discussions. Use perfect score, or the nostalgia thread for your own personal thoughts. This thread is about why others think it's bad. Use the 5th gen Pokemon don't look like Pokemon thread to discuss how B/W designs are uncreative. Be respectful of other users while debating.

To summarise, this thread is to discuss why you think Black and White received bad remarks. It's simple. Let's keep it this way or I'll have to lock it (so yes, this is the "final" warning, for all of these issues - having to give it three warnings and a few "get back on topic" type posts is really generous, considering how similar the discussions in this forum tend to get).

Now carry on answering why B/W received bad remarks. :)

Ice Car

Banned
    Years
  • There may be a number of things...

1) People dislike the new Pokemon designs. "Oh my gosh, they made a Pokemon out of Ice Cream! Gen 1 was the best, back then you had awesome stuff like... a pokeball and a pile of goo."

2) The game just has an overcoming sense of... It just feels like it's missing a lot of things. Small things, but enough to make it feel empty. There's no way to rematch trainers and Gym Leaders... The Post-Game content and routes are over very fast. Most of the game you could not catch any familiar pokemon, and even after the amounts that you could catch were limited. The whole region just feels smaller. The story finishes fast. There are no move tutors, no battle frontier... I could go on about the little things... tl;dr Lack of post-game content and various little things here and there make the game feel a tad empty. It feels like it's missing something the past games had.

3) Well, I just exhausted a lot of my points in the above paragraph... The game is over really fast. It's short, but sweet. It's missing a lot of things here and there.

4) OH. Last point. Where are all the legendaries? From past games? It always excited me when you could catch Legendaries from past games or just that there were legendaries and maybe more routes to explore in say, HG/SS. Why did B/W lack this?

What upsets me is that Game Freak is most likely leaving stuff out deliberately. They released Ruby and Sapphire and then Emerald, which is basically a combination of both with various improved things, but not much different. More money. Diamond, Pearl, then Platinum, same thing, even though Platinum added quite a bit of content. Now Black and White 2 is adding a plethora of things to improve it. While they're doing a lot to make the game different from Emerald and Platinum, which I appreciate, it feels like they just withheld content that should have been in B/W just to add it in B/W2 to make people wnat to buy it more. That's how I felt about Emerald and Platinum... Maybe I'm taking this for granted, maybe they're releasing the first game, seeing response and basically re-releasing the game listening to fan's/buyer's concerns/issues...

B/W2 will be adding:

Move Tutors (something that B/W should have had)
    PWT (I assume this is a substitute for the Battle Frontier, which should have been in B/W)
    Much, much more Legendaries to catch (In B/W there were, what, like 6 legendaries to catch, one of them (Landorus) requiring trades?)
    Many more routes, areas, the largest regional dex in any of the games, new gym leaders, and being able to see how the region changed in the past 3 years (Basically a lot more post-game content, longer game, satisfies the people that may have wanted more familiar pokes on their team, etc)

So why couldn't the other game have had this stuff? Just so B/W2 could seem that much better? Well I admit they've succeeded, because I really want the next game.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Indeed...while Move Tutors should have been carried into B/W, the PWT is clearly a new addition that is like the Battle Frontier of Unova, but brings together the entire world of NPC Pokémon masters for cameos.

As for legendaries...to be fair, there were 13 total. In-game, Victini was on Liberty Island, as an event, so it may not count. The actual game catchables were Cobalion/Virizion/Terrakion (musketeers), Tornadus/Thundurus/Landorus (and yeah, making the alternate of the first two an event that can only be done post-National Dex would have borrowed from the Latios/Latias event plopping the second on Rebirth Island or wherever it was, provided the item was obtained at any time regardless of Dex), Zekrom/Reshiram (self-explanatory), and Kyurem for a total of 9 (7 if you discount a Kami trio member and the opposite dragon, which have to be traded). Sprinkle in a little Keldeo (got mine!), Meloetta, and Genesect, and boy, that looks like 13 (counting Victini)...that's not lucky, that number...in any case, they had not yet connected the region with the rest of the world, so other legendaries did not exist. I wonder if they are again trying to reduce reliance on older games. There are a LOT of legendaries in the B2/W2 Unova.

Cyclone

Years
  • So why couldn't the other game have had this stuff? Just so B/W2 could seem that much better? Well I admit they've succeeded, because I really want the next game.
    I honestly think they're just using "first" releases as a kind of project to build on, then releasing the new and improved product on the off chance that the players want an improved version of the game they've just played. And apparently it's still working.

Years
  • Personally, I think Black and White introduced some really nice features that should be kept in future games, however in other areas it seemed really lacking. Like others have said, there's effectively no post-game. You beat the champion...and then you're basically left to wander around an empty world.

Losing the ability to have Pokemon follow you was a shame, but it's not that major a gripe, because we got animated battle sprites in exchange.

Yeah, honestly, if a game like this was released in say, Gen II, it would've been adored, but it seems like in every subsequent generation, Game Freak removes a loved feature and replaces it with something else, rather than building on top of the good idea.

Much like how Ruby and Sapphire removed the in-game clock, but introduced other features.

Still, the lack of post-game is evident and it really cuts my enjoyment of the game. With the removal of the "Gotta Catch 'Em All" slogan, it's a shame that after you beat the Champ, all you're left with is "catching the rest of the Pokemon that you have already caught in the games previous."

B&W2 better have a damn good post-game, because if I want a game that merely "reintroduces old Pokemon", I might as well just restart my Platinum version.

In regards to the Pokemon designs, though... most of them are actually quite good. I fail to see how people dislike the Ice Cream Pokemon. If previous generations can have Pokemon based on dolls, objects, artifacts and other man-made things (such as Pokeballs), or have virtual reality Pokemon... how can Vanilluxe be such a bad Pokemon?

It's already canon that new Pokemon spring up based on various environments and influence from human concepts. Toxic waste left over from humans mutated into Grimer. Leftover Pokeballs mutated into Voltorb. People over-react too much.

I gotta say, though, Druddigon is horrible looking.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    You know what?
    Gen V had a cutscene, 'nuff said.

I don't really think that's a reason for bad remarks at all, actually that's more of a reason to think positively about the games tbh.

LegendaryCelebi

Celebi4Life
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2014
    Well I liked this game, although I didn't like some of the pokemon designs, (only two tho) The trash ones and the gear ones, they are unimaginative, albeit the final trash one was hilarious! the games new features and tech, pokemon, better graphics left me drooling over what the next game will be (after b/w2) oooooh I cant wait!!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Well I liked this game, although I didn't like some of the pokemon designs, (only two tho) The trash ones and the gear ones, they are unimaginative, albeit the final trash one was hilarious! the games new features and tech, pokemon, better graphics left me drooling over what the next game will be (after b/w2) oooooh I cant wait!!

Well yes, those are all good things, but why do you think other players might've thought negatively about them? :( Since this is what the thread is for, after all.

LegendaryCelebi

Celebi4Life
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2014

Well yes, those are all good things, but why do you think other players might've thought negatively about them? :( Since this is what the thread is for, after all.

Well for one people always want something that a game doesnt have or compare it to an old one, to me pokemon is a new experience each time, but others want pokemon to have the same feel, if they want to join a movement for same looking things go to 1940 in germany!

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016

I honestly think they're just using "first" releases as a kind of project to build on, then releasing the new and improved product on the off chance that the players want an improved version of the game they've just played. And apparently it's still working.
    Is it wrong for a player to buy two copies of the exact same game under slightly different Pokémon distributions in order to catch everything? Players have every single game, of every single pair, so yes, it's working.

Cyclone

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • Well for one people always want something that a game doesnt have or compare it to an old one, to me pokemon is a new experience each time, but others want pokemon to have the same feel, if they want to join a movement for same looking things go to 1940 in germany!

So you're saying that preferring the old games and wanting GF to follow the same formula as them is equivalent to Nazism.

Interesting.

LegendaryCelebi

Celebi4Life
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2014
    So you're saying that preferring the old games and wanting GF to follow the same formula as them is equivalent to Nazism.

Interesting.

Can a 13 year old exaggerate? And no, I meant for people who think that them not liking game is a big deal need to get over themselves

Years
  • The problems with pokemon black and white are :

* In the last game HG/SS, we had 16 badges to be had.
    * Still in these last games, we had 493 pokemons (approximately) to catch in different places!

In Black and White
    * Sometimes, pokemons are just a copy of real animals slightly modified. Then, we put a strange name; and we obtain a pokemon. I'm not really fan. (e.g : Herdier)
    * We have only 8 gyms
    * And only a little more than 150 pokemons to be caught

Then yes, it's possible later to catch the pokemons of previous generations. BUT what does not please too much, it's the way they are implanted.

You begin the story, there are in the first grass ONLY Patrat and Lillipup. And when you finished the story, the pokémons of previous generations is available. Where they hid during all this time ? Skyla brought them by planes? (She had to make it round trips).

All this for the same price. I bought Black and White at the "same price" that HG/SS.

Except that, I like very much B/W but I find that it misses something which makes it indispensable.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • So you're saying that preferring the old games and wanting GF to follow the same formula as them is equivalent to Nazism.

Interesting.

It's not nazism, it's being unimaginative.

GF thought outside the box with BW.

The story is not completely different, but it's the most distinct out of the games, because of the inclusion of N. While Ghetsis had the same motives as Giovanni, N was the character that made BW's story truly stand out.

Also, the new Pokémon. It truly took some balls to include only new Pokémon during the main storyline. They knew people would complain, yet they went on with it. And, guess what, it worked! While Gen V's Pokémon aren't the best competitively, there are very few Pokémon that aren't useful during the main storyline. They tried to do the same back with Gen III but they gave us some Gen I/II tokens and also made the then-new Pokémon too similar to what already existed, so the choice of Pokémon wasn't completely new.

Sincerely, I'd rather GF did what they've done with BW than another HGSS. While HGSS is my favourite game of the series (because I love Johto), let's face it, it was easy to make it good. They already had a fantastic game to base themselves on (GSC), they just had to complete what they couldn't back in 1999 when the GBC's constraints stopped them. Then they added features that newer games had (such as gym leader rematches).

I think I'm the only one who didn't like much the HGSS system of a Pokémon following you. I mean, it was cool at first, but then I didn't care all that much about it because you couldn't choose which Pokémon would follow you. It would always be the first Pokémon in the party. I didn't like it because of that.

Years
  • Is it wrong for a player to buy two copies of the exact same game under slightly different Pokémon distributions in order to catch everything? Players have every single game, of every single pair, so yes, it's working.

Cyclone

To be honest it's wrong because that's not the reason why they were split up to begin with. They were split up to encourage trading between people who have different versions of the game.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    To be honest it's wrong because that's not the reason why they were split up to begin with. They were split up to encourage trading between people who have different versions of the game.
    I very well know that, I was merely exaggerating.

Cyclone

Back