• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Aethel Designs

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Here we have what I've been struggling to get motivation to finish for around ten or so days.

God Slayer - It's a big one. Click on the smaller version to get to the full-size. This is Shulk of Xenoblade, made to match my Shion of Xenosaga for Lunaris Adamantine.

Aethel Designs

God Slayer Banner - Speaking of which, here's the banner!

Aethel Designs

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I like it, there's great detail on the design, and the colours all fit well. I know nothing about xenoblade, so maybe it comes from the games, but I have a few quips about the clothing design and some other things. As far as I can see, the clothing from the "Is only there to look cool" syndrome. Of course the sword suffers from it, with all the holes, but cool swords are always a good thing. The leg things, though, what purpose do they serve? They're not identical and support the each leg differently, so I'm assuming it has something to do with the God Slayer having bad ankles? I find it also weird that his left trouserpipe has sharp things sticking out, and his left not. Maybe there is a very good story reason, and even if there is not, it not something wrong with the art, just something I was wondering about.

Then I have a small bit of commentary on his position, because with the way he's standing, it looks like he broke his right ankle, or at least badly twisted it. Depending on how he's standing, as I have a bit of trouble finding out because of his complicated (but quite cool) shorts design, Are the upper legs and his hips seen from a side perspective or slightly turned? Depending on that either his upper body or his legs should be turned something like 45 degrees.
    Actually giving it a better look, I doubt that position is comfortable. It seems like you had some internal conflict in what of the design you wanted to showcase, and what would position he should be in. If his head were the basic position, his upper body would be in a 45 degree angle, his left leg in a 60, and his right leg in a 90 degree.
    I think his left arm is a little too short, and should be extended a little. Especially because his left shoulder should be more visible too. The arm kinda looks dis-attached ones you notice it, it doesn't seem to be attached to any kind of shoulder.
    The next thing may come down to my knowledge of the Xenoblade series, so sorry if I critique something that makes sense storywise, but, do the swords have weight? With the way he's running with it it seem like either he's superhumanly strong, or the sword incredibly light? The way he would hold it wouldn't make any sense if the sword had weight and he had the strengt of a human. His hand doesn't seem to grip the sword that well, either. There seems to be a lot of space around the hilt. Did you draw the sword and the character seperate? It also has a slight curve where the hilt is. While the hilt points down, the sword curves up from that point. The sword, as I said earlier already, looks really cool though.
    I like the japanese signs, but the rest of the background seems a bit rushed. The drawing that is supposed to match this one has a wonderful background, and these random lines and squibles seem not to fit very well.

I like the design overall, don't get me wrong, I just tried to be thorough with the critique because you seem to be at a point where you know most of the basics, and just need get the hang of some other things, so I really hope this is helpful with picking out the errors and improving your drawing skill. I'm sorry if some parts don't make sense, or if I just straight up forgot words and letters, I'm on a lot of meds right now, and it is noticeable in my writing. If I need to expand on something, or if I was too cryptical, just say so, and I'll try to explain better, haha.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I like it, there's great detail on the design, and the colours all fit well. I know nothing about xenoblade, so maybe it comes from the games, but I have a few quips about the clothing design and some other things. As far as I can see, the clothing from the "Is only there to look cool" syndrome. Of course the sword suffers from it, with all the holes, but cool swords are always a good thing. The leg things, though, what purpose do they serve? They're not identical and support the each leg differently, so I'm assuming it has something to do with the God Slayer having bad ankles? I find it also weird that his left trouserpipe has sharp things sticking out, and his left not. Maybe there is a very good story reason, and even if there is not, it not something wrong with the art, just something I was wondering about.

Then I have a small bit of commentary on his position, because with the way he's standing, it looks like he broke his right ankle, or at least badly twisted it. Depending on how he's standing, as I have a bit of trouble finding out because of his complicated (but quite cool) shorts design, Are the upper legs and his hips seen from a side perspective or slightly turned? Depending on that either his upper body or his legs should be turned something like 45 degrees.
    Actually giving it a better look, I doubt that position is comfortable. It seems like you had some internal conflict in what of the design you wanted to showcase, and what would position he should be in. If his head were the basic position, his upper body would be in a 45 degree angle, his left leg in a 60, and his right leg in a 90 degree.
    I think his left arm is a little too short, and should be extended a little. Especially because his left shoulder should be more visible too. The arm kinda looks dis-attached ones you notice it, it doesn't seem to be attached to any kind of shoulder.
    The next thing may come down to my knowledge of the Xenoblade series, so sorry if I critique something that makes sense storywise, but, do the swords have weight? With the way he's running with it it seem like either he's superhumanly strong, or the sword incredibly light? The way he would hold it wouldn't make any sense if the sword had weight and he had the strengt of a human. His hand doesn't seem to grip the sword that well, either. There seems to be a lot of space around the hilt. Did you draw the sword and the character seperate? It also has a slight curve where the hilt is. While the hilt points down, the sword curves up from that point. The sword, as I said earlier already, looks really cool though.
    I like the japanese signs, but the rest of the background seems a bit rushed. The drawing that is supposed to match this one has a wonderful background, and these random lines and squibles seem not to fit very well.

I like the design overall, don't get me wrong, I just tried to be thorough with the critique because you seem to be at a point where you know most of the basics, and just need get the hang of some other things, so I really hope this is helpful with picking out the errors and improving your drawing skill. I'm sorry if some parts don't make sense, or if I just straight up forgot words and letters, I'm on a lot of meds right now, and it is noticeable in my writing. If I need to expand on something, or if I was too cryptical, just say so, and I'll try to explain better, haha.
    I agree with you 100% on the clothing design. But that bit of criticism is lost on me, as I am not the original designer. That's why it took me so long to draw this is because I absolutely hate the designs of Xenoblade. I was only being as accurate as I could to the actual design. Next time, I'll probably do my own version of the outfit that is much simpler.

I also did not design the sword, by the way. That's from the game. And it is also outrageously huge in-game. And actually, it grows larger when he attacks with it. This incarnation of it is made of some kind of light energy though, so I assume that it doesn't weigh very much. But hey, most video games of this kind disregard physics anyway, so I don't think it really matters.

Honestly, I don't actually understand what you're saying to fix the angles. Describing things in terms of angles with numbers like that is really confusing for me and I doubt there's any way you could word it that it would make sense without the use of a picture. But I am aware that there's something wrong with his leg, the perspective, and the angles. (For instance, I'm aware that by the angle he's holding the sword, we should be looking at its edge if he intends to slash any Gods with it. But I didn't know how to portray that without making the sword unrecognizable, so I left it intact.) It was something I was aware of as I was drawing him, but it would've taken me much longer to figure out how to fix it, so I left it intact. I'm not too good with the perspective still. This pose was ultimately an experiment though, and I'm working on bettering myself with more dynamic poses that I'm not used to in the future by attempting them in the first place. So basically, I'll keep doing it over and over again until I crack the secret. After this image, I'm sure the next one will have improvements.

The arm wasn't something I noticed, however, so I'll work on that for the next one as well.

I drew the sword at the same time as Shulk. It's another weakness I'm already aware of - the fact that it's difficult for me to draw people holding things/interacting with them without it looking weirdly out of place. Also, I really should've used straighter lines. I'm not used to drawing objects like that, so I tend to just use my natural hand and not fix up the little curvatures. Especially something that is supposed to be quickly done like this. But I'll try to make myself use them next time, even though I have an aversion to straight lines. ><

The background was rushed, yes. I wanted to finish this picture and move on to the next one already, as it was something I was stuck on for weeks. My new philosophy is to move on if something can't be fixed, and get better on the next one rather than fixing up the same old thing over and over again. (Which results in my art taking months to produce and also kills morale.) For what it's worth, even if it's scribbled and hurried, I kind of like it myself. But it isn't my favorite and I've done better in the past. Also, the other drawing (I presume you're speaking of Aster Shion) actually had its background done in about the same amount of time. It's just I thought about it a bit more, so hence the perceived increase in quality.

All in all, I thank you for taking the time to critique me and actually response here. Your well thought-out comment is appreciated.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Well that explains the design, haha. It looks so... JRPG in that picture, haha.

I tried to explain the angles and positions a bit better with this circle I made in paint.

Aethel Designs

I hope it speaks for itself. With normal humans, it's incredibly uncomfortable and for some body parts even impossible to turn so far away from the torso. I suggest taking your boyfriend as a model next time, haha, or searching for an image in which someone, drawing or not, has a similar position as to what you try to draw.

Back