• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Two sisters in India to be raped as punishment after their brother ran off with married woman

Outlier

They are being punished by the unelected council because their brother eloped with a married woman from a higher caste

A petition to save two sisters in India from being raped and publicly humiliated for their brother's actions, a punishment handed down by an unofficial village council, has gathered considerable support for its demand that authorities intervene and stop the "disgusting ruling" from being enforced.

The petition by human-rights organization Amnesty International has garnered over 16,000 signatures thus far, and calls for law enforcement to stop the council-sanctioned rape of 23-year-old Meenakshi Kumari and her 15-year-old sister in Baghpat village in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh.

The unelected council of elders ordered that Kumari and her sister — both members of the low Dalit caste — be raped and paraded naked with blackened faces, after their brother eloped with a married woman of a higher caste. He and the woman, who belongs to the dominant Jat caste, were in love and eloped after she was forced to marry someone from her own caste, according to reports.

Kumari also approached India's Supreme Court herself last week, saying that police have been harassing her and her family instead of protecting them.

In a plea to the court Kumari said she and her family "cannot return back to her village and have been rendered homeless."

The court has asked for a response from the Uttar Pradesh government.

"Nothing could justify this abhorrent punishment," the Amnesty petition reads. "It's not fair. It's not right. And it's against the law. Demand that the local authorities intervene immediately."

Village councils in northern India, known as khap panchayats, are generally comprised of senior male members of the community's high castes. Although the councils have been declared illegal by the courts, their edicts are still observed in many parts of rural India.

http://time.com/4014444/india-khap-panchayat-two-sisters-rape-ordered-uttar-pradesh/

------------------------------------------

This is so fucked up.

Years
  • That, is just messed up. Hopefully the government or someone will intervene because stupidity like this shouldn't be tolerated.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I wouldn't be surprised if the government doesn't step in, unfortunately. They're notoriously awful at taking any action against the problems of the caste system, especially the high profile 'worst case scenarios', preferring to not acknowledge the issue at hand. If I recall correctly, the caste system isn't officially acknowledged by the government in contemporary India? Something like that. Anyway, they document and take note of caste-related violence or injustice, but have done little to combat it, sometimes because there is little they can do.

I just hope that something is different in this situation.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    >brother does something wrong
    >sisters are to be raped for it

totally makes sense /sarcasm

Why this kind of shit continues in India is beyond me. I mean, I know that humanity is slow as fuck to change, especially in regards to deeply ingrained social things, but jesus christ we're talking about 2 people getting raped when they did nothing wrong.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • A few door kickings and razings should do some of those folk some good. Remind them that they aren't really the law round these parts. I think it's only fair that if you took part in such a stupid and idiotic 'ruling' that you deserve to have everything you own torched. Hey, at least you weren't sentenced to rape for your 'sentence of rape'. I've never really liked India anyways for perfectly valid reasons. Women are treated quite poorly in that country.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • What is this? Wonderland?

India has a really bizarre judicial branch, so how long until India's citizens will rebel against its own government?

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    What is this? Wonderland?

India has a really bizarre judicial branch, so how long until India's citizens will rebel against its own government?

It's not the Indian government that needs to be/would be rebelled against - they're certainly complicit, but it's the caste system which needs to be examined here. It's a centuries old societal mechanism which is too large and too powerful to be displaced. It's the central part of their cultural & political atmosphere while being directly influenced by Hinduism, though many decry how Hinduism doesn't support it at all and is instead being misused for personal gain. Whatever the case though, it's the defining factor of their society and any rebels would be rebelling against their entire way of life rather than just their government.

'How long' isn't the question here - those most affected by the worst of the system, those with the most to gain, are in no position to rebel. Those belonging to the Shudra class (the working class) and the 'Untouchables' class don't have any real tools to stand against the system apart from their own bodies, and god knows how the bodies of the Untouchables are broken as it is. The education needed for a successful 'rebellion' is not afforded to those most in need of a change, let alone all the kinds of power needed to try force such a large shift in their country's culture. Not to mention the question of even wanting to stand up for themselves; they hate their lives, yes, but religious faith amongst their communities is entirely different to what we're used to here. The system is perceived as so relevant to their religious beliefs that sometimes they'd rather suffer in their present state than commit heresy or sacrilege or whatever.

It's a tragic situation with no clear solution in sight, let alone an end to it.

Spacy

Visitor from beyond...
    Years
  • Just.... What the heck? Rape as punishment for something that wasn't their fault? Something, somewhere, is corrupt and wrong. And I think it's the unofficial village council.

Years
  • I would imagine that the national government condemns such acts in the harshest terms. These councils themselves are rather ridiculous compared to any modern judicial system, with no respect for legal rights or standards of justice. However, it seems plausible that the national government could use these and other events as a springboard to cleanse India of its feudal and caste remnants which iirc it purports to do. I don't understand the internal politics of India, however, and it might be possible that rural reactionary forces are stronger than the modernizing forces that we in the West are more familiar with.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • I don't believe it.

No, really, I don't believe it. India's government and media both have a rather large feminist presence, if I remember correctly. How are individual courts suddenly doing things like this in spite of extreme internal and external opposition to it? I strongly suspect the media is manipulating the truth of what's going on. Because, frankly, I don't believe this can be anything but pure fiction. India is a first world country and has been for decades. This isn't Somalia or something. Moreover, they're not an Islamic country since Pakistan seceded, so it's not a Sharia law thing, either. If their government actually allowed things like this, they would have been shunned internationally decades ago. Something is clearly rotten in the state of Denmark. I just don't buy this narrative one bit.

Spacy

Visitor from beyond...
    Years
  • I don't believe it.

No, really, I don't believe it. India's government and media both have a rather large feminist presence, if I remember correctly. How are individual courts suddenly doing things like this in spite of extreme internal and external opposition to it? I strongly suspect the media is manipulating the truth of what's going on. Because, frankly, I don't believe this can be anything but pure fiction. India is a first world country and has been for decades. This isn't Somalia or something. Moreover, they're not an Islamic country since Pakistan seceded, so it's not a Sharia law thing, either. If their government actually allowed things like this, they would have been shunned internationally decades ago. Something is clearly rotten in the state of Denmark. I just don't buy this narrative one bit.

You could very well be right, I mean, that law and the punishment really don't make sense. This ain't freaking 1245.

Years
  • I don't believe it.

Not judicial courts. Village councils, which have been in place for hundreds of years. India is not a first world country, because Mumbai and Delhi do not represent the 2/3 of the population that still lives in rural India. The state is ambitious, but its reach currently does not permeate through the entirety of the country.

But...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-34111906

... maybe it didn't happen. But ...

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia/...ordered-revenge-rape-2014711143150300772.html

... apparently it still happens.

Years
  • I don't believe it.

I don't think they're saying that an official branch of the Indian judicial system ordered this, but a local village counsel of (male) elders. I don't claim to know much about how this works, but I imagine that in small villages there isn't much of a line between the people running the village and the national government. I get the impression that lots of these places run themselves. And even if they don't officially, I wouldn't put it past people to try to enact their own form of justice if they felt that their local traditions were being flaunted.

I think the most troubling thing about this is that, whether it is true or not, it's completely plausible that it could happen, if not in this case then in others that haven't received media attention. I'm reading an article from a reporter who went and spoke to the woman involved in this story and she denies being a willing participant, but then she isn't being allowed to speak without male family members watching her like a hawk.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Looks like humanity's gone really wrong.
    no, this just pre-civilization crap that crops up in uncivilized areas. hey probably where thinking something along the lines "humiliating the brother while taking pleasure in his sisters" when they had no right to even judge the brother. if anyone should have been stripped naked publicly it should have been the woman who cheated on her husband.
    the raping thing was just uncalled for & unnecessary regardless of who got punished.
    What is this? Wonderland?
    l0RoSQV.png

I don't believe it.

its more likely that the India government is manipulating the media. the feminist movement over there is either a puppet organization or holds no real power/influence over their government getting occasional favors just to shut them up.
    its not like that government's corruption is as easily thrown under the "crazy conspiracy theorist" rug as the us government's corruption is.

Back