• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Most Forgotten Pokémon

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
  • With the number of Pokémon growing generation by generation, unfortunately there are bound to be Pokémon that just get left behind - Pokémon that aren't that interesting, don't really have any redeeming features, etc.

A bit of an oxymoron perhaps, but what in your opinion is the most forgotten Pokémon?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • 206.gif
    211.gif

For whatever reason I've always felt that Johto has a lot of underrated or forgotten Pokémon. I'd say Dunsparce or Qwilfish are pretty forgotten, as I don't think I've ever even heard them mentioned, and have very rarely battled anyone using them in any games.

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2018
    For me, Pachirisu springs to mind. I always imagined it would have been more popular than it was.

Silently Slow

An Okay Guy
    Years
  • Stunky and Skuntank. I only remember them when I look up Poison or Dark type Pokemon in Bulbapedia. I scroll, stare at the screen in confusion for a few seconds, wondering what these Pokemon are. Then remember their sad existence. Then I cry inside for like .1 nanoseconds after which I then scroll further down the page, forgetting their existence yet again. It's an endless cycle.

Years
  • To me, Qwilfish and Carnivine. I barely hear people talking about them, and the only thing I can even remotely remember Carnivine is because James has one in the anime.

Qwilfish suffers from the forgetfulness a lot of Johto Pokemon had, even I can remember Dunsparce more than this thing

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • I agree that Qwilfish is forgotten.

I forget that Chingling and Chimecho exist sometimes, even though James had a Chimecho for a short while in the anime. I keep thinking that gen 4 has five baby Pokemon (Bonsly, Mime Jr, Happiny, Munchlax and Riolu) instead of six.

I also forget about Gulpin and Swalot exist because they're just Grimer and Muk, but less toxic and more gluttonous. I don't think I've ever seen anyone look at them and think "Best Pokemon ever!"

There's a lot of Gen 5 Pokemon that I forget about either because they haven't been around as long (until you realise it's been almost 6 years since BW came out in Japan), I didn't care much for the BW anime saga to remember everything or I just dump those Pokemon in the PC once I obtain them. I mostly forget about the Shelmet family, the Karrablast family, the Solosis family and Elgyem family.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • I feel like lots of Gen III just don't get enough love. Pokémon like Chinecho, Baltoy, Corphish, Barboach, Torkoal, Volbeat, Illumise, and many others.

We can also all agree that most Pokémon that don't evolve to or from anything are some of the most forgotten. I bet most people nowadays can't even remember what a Stantler or Bouffalant is.

Here's another group of Pokémon I think are forgotten: the middle evos. Pokémon like Gabite, Flaaffy, and Sliggoo just don't get as much recognition as their other evolutionary members.

Years
  • There's a lot of Gen 5 Pokemon that I forget about either because they haven't been around as long (until you realise it's been almost 6 years since BW came out in Japan), I didn't care much for the BW anime saga to remember everything or I just dump those Pokemon in the PC once I obtain them. I mostly forget about the Shelmet family, the Karrablast family, the Solosis family and Elgyem family.

I can agree about those 5th Gen Pokemon you mentioned except for the Solosis line, and that's because I know it was a version exclusive. Karrablast and Shelmet's main gimmick was a unique trading-based evolution method where you had to trade them with each other to evolve. I think the most forgotten one here is Elgyem which I personally love the design of, but it seemed to have suffer the "Chimecho syndrome" here in that you're likely to have a better Psychic-type by the time you find it.

We can also all agree that most Pokémon that don't evolve to or from anything are some of the most forgotten. I bet most people nowadays can't even remember what a Stantler or Bouffalant is.

Here's another group of Pokémon I think are forgotten: the middle evos. Pokémon like Gabite, Flaaffy, and Sliggoo just don't get as much recognition as their other evolutionary members.

I can also see your reasonings because I mostly hear people only talking about the unevolved stages (due to mainly being cute) and the final stages (since we all like the final product) and it's due to this that middle stages, or Pokemon with no evolution lines that aren't legendaries are often left in the dust.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    I'm not sure if the op is asking which Pokémon I forget most often, or which Pokémon I think Pokémon forgets or people in general. These aren't based on power or battle either.

For me the Pokémon I forget most often are Kricketot and Kricketune.

For one I can never remember which order they go in. That's partly due to the fact I never used most of gen 4's Pokémon in game, I was shocked to hear Kricketot's cry sounded like that when I first heard it recently in Battle Maison.

Some other Pokémon, I don't forget these but they seem to be not really memorable.
    Finneon
    Lumineon
    Bonsly
    Sunkern
    Sunflora
    Glameow
    Purugly
    Burmy
    Wormadam
    Mothim
    Cherubi
    Cherrim
    Cranidos
    Rampardos
    Shieldon
    Bastiodon
    Bouffalant
    Stantler
    Deerling
    Sawsbuck
    Cryogonal
    Girafarig
    Fortunately I still bought the big guide/pokedex books even when I stopped playing the games, to keep up with the new Pokémon, there's nothing like discovering there's an eagle Pokémon or an anteater Pokémon by flipping though some pages in a book.

It's hard to list Gen 1 Pokémon in this list since if someone mentioned any one I'd know it for sure. But there are a couple that seem to be forgotten.
    Seel
    Dewgong
    Paras
    Parasect
    Kabuto
    Omanyte
    Omastar

I think the less creative a Pokémon is the easier it is to be forgotten. There's a lot of Pokémon you can tell were just created so they could have the Pokémon types you expect in a generation, the bird, the rodent, the plant, the fossil, the fish and so on.

Last edited:

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
    Years
  • For me, Magikarp. This pokemon has been the most underrated mon since the kanto region(i know the reason). But i beleive, infact i know, it is a cool pokemon and can learn good moves like bounce(from the move tutor) and flail (by level up). Morever, it evolves into a really strong gyarados.

stzy

the battlefield got weird.
    Years
  • For me it's a tie between Tentacool and Baltoy. I haven't seen Baltoy in yearsss.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Lumineon (and Finneon, by extension). Not even sure why, but there was once a time when whenever someone would bring it up I'd be like "Oh yea, that's a Pokémon..." Nowadays I tend to remember it, but only because I remember it as that one Pokémon I always used to forget about.

Also, I tend to forget about a lot of the Pokémon introduced in 5th gen, but I think that's because there's just so many of them, so there's quite a few that I never ended up encountering in my 5th gen playthrough.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Maractus is forgettable as hell; it got the short stick as a 5th gen grass-type. Also, no one seems to remember Crawdaunt for some reason, despite being the best Hoenn water-type competitively imo.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    Maractus is forgettable as hell; it got the short stick as a 5th gen grass-type. Also, no one seems to remember Crawdaunt for some reason, despite being the best Hoenn water-type competitively imo.

Lol omg I was just gonna bring it up. Maractus is so un needed lol.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • If it weren't for Spell of the Unown being one of my favourite Pokemon movies, I'd probably forget about Unown. It doesn't help that it was completely unobtainable in Gen 5 and X/Y without transfer from Gen 4 or trade from OR/AS which even then it's only obtainable in a mirage spot.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2017
    I could see how some of the second gen pokemon could be forgettable but that was my first gen so the first 251 are burnt into my memory.

For me a few of the 3rd and 4th gen Pokes are forgettable but that's only because I've played those games less than the others. Like Chingling and Chimecoe, Cacnea and Cacturne, Finneon and Lumineon.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2017
    I could see how some of the second gen pokemon could be forgettable but that was my first gen so the first 251 are burnt into my memory.

For me a few of the 3rd and 4th gen Pokes are forgettable but that's only because I've played those games less than the others. Like Chingling and Chimecoe, Cacnea and Cacturne, Finneon and Lumineon.

Back