• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your favourite Pokemon to battle with in-game?

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    Hey there everyone. So I'm not much into competitive/smogon battling, but I do really enjoy the challenge of battling using odd Pokemon during the games themselves. Some of these Pokemon include...

Umbreon - love its defensive bulk, and love stonewalling opponents. At the moment I'm running with Toxic/Moonlight/Screech/Feint Attack.
    Wobbuffet - had an egg that hatched into Wynaut, now it's level 25 Wobbuffet and I just love using it. A quick Safeguard, then trying to get Mirror Coat/Counter right. Can it learn Taunt? I'm not that keen on Destiny Bond.
    Castform - was about to shelve this in the box but now I'm enjoying it a fair bit. Weather Ball is deceptively powerful under the right conditions.
    Shedinja - Wonder Guard, high Atk stat and decent speed make this Pokemon a lot of fun to use. Just looking for moves to fill it out.

Avalugg used to be on this list but its Sp Def is shit and the further you get into games the rarer it is that Pokemon only have moves of one type. Snorlax is my favourite to use in Gen I thanks to Special being one stat.

Who are your favourite Pokemon to use? Note I am talking in the games only, not competitive battling. Anyone out there a Shuckle fan or something? Or love dat Ninjask speed?

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Anyone out there a Shuckle fan or something? Or love dat Ninjask speed?

I am actually a humongous Ninjask fan! I actually have (IMO) perfected the Ninjask build and it is my favorite support pokemon within the entire pokemon franchise. I legitimately enjoy playing with Ninjask, and I have never seen a pokemon that does what Ninjask can do better than him.
    I also am a huge fan of Umbreon, and your build is almost exactly the same as mine with the only difference being I use Confuse Ray instead of Screech.

I have always thought Shuckle has a ton of potential, but I have never been able to build a team that can comfortably support a Shuckle. I also think Jumpluff is an amazing pokemon that is not used often. I also have an amazing build for Chimecho, which I think is also a heavily underrated pokemon.

I like weird pokemon especially ones that people think are not very useful.

Kurosaki

(「・ω・)「
    Years
  • It's not a specific Pokemon, but I actually find it really satisfying to use flying types and destroy things with them. I always raise one of the bird Pokemon that you catch early on, and they usually become something like a trump card, so it's always fun using them in battle.

Off the top of my head, Pidgeot and Swellow are fun to use, and I've raised them multiple times.

I know a lot of people tend to ditch the birds because they're not as strong as some, but pfft.

Flying aside, I also really liked using Luxray in DPPt. I miss that specific Luxray in my newer games.

I've also used Umbreon a couple of times with a similar moveset as the one mentioned in the original post. c: But I've never thought of Umbreon as an odd Poke to use. As far as "odd" goes, I am literally raising an Oddish right now in ORAS, to get Vileplume and it's moves. I thought it would be fun, because I never bothered raising one in Kanto.

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2017
    Furret and Bellossom are probably the two that I instantly think of when I see this thread. They're not popular Pokemon to use, but I have a blast using them on my teams. Especially Furret, who I demolished everything with during it's solorun in White 2. Even the Elite Four with Defense Curl wasn't a big deal (never will I underestimate the power of spamming that move multiple times haha. Bless it against Physical Fighting types).

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I always raise one of the bird Pokemon that you catch early on, and they usually become something like a trump card, so it's always fun using them in battle.

Using Staraptor is more like throwing a random nuclear bomb at a random nation to me. The thing's soooo goood~. I'm like you, though - I always catch the starter bird on offer and I keep it on my team until the very end. There's just some kind of...charm to it.

Other than that, I love Magneton. I dunno why, I just find it really adorable. Its cry is cute and it has really good stats and moves and it has three cute eyes and auughh.

I just like it a lot.

Kurosaki

(「・ω・)「
    Years
  • Using Staraptor is more like throwing a random nuclear bomb at a random nation to me. The thing's soooo goood~. I'm like you, though - I always catch the starter bird on offer and I keep it on my team until the very end. There's just some kind of...charm to it.
    Ahahah, yes, I did really enjoy using Starly's line in DPPt. It was one of my favs, and it didn't leave my party, either.

To add more to the thread, I also usually enjoy using Pikachu in most games, but I don't keep it because even as Raichu there are Electric types that are better to use, IMO. It's still fun to use to a point, just because I like the Pokemon themselves. c:

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    It's not a specific Pokemon, but I actually find it really satisfying to use flying types and destroy things with them. I always raise one of the bird Pokemon that you catch early on, and they usually become something like a trump card, so it's always fun using them in battle.

Off the top of my head, Pidgeot and Swellow are fun to use, and I've raised them multiple times.

I know a lot of people tend to ditch the birds because they're not as strong as some, but pfft.

Flying aside, I also really liked using Luxray in DPPt. I miss that specific Luxray in my newer games.

Yeah I do the same. I am surprised to hear they're maligned, most of their final evolutions are really strong, plus many get extra STAB moves and an immunity to Ghost thanks to being part Normal. Staraptor fucking rules, you put Close Combat on that thing and you're set for life. I'm not a huge fan of Swellow's design/evolutionary line, feels like a clone of Spearow/Fearow to me who I never liked, but its Speed is awesome.

Luxray is cool, yeah. Feel like it should have a Dark typing as well though.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    Ahahah, yes, I did really enjoy using Starly's line in DPPt. It was one of my favs, and it didn't leave my party, either.

To add more to the thread, I also usually enjoy using Pikachu in most games, but I don't keep it because even as Raichu there are Electric types that are better to use, IMO. It's still fun to use to a point, just because I like the Pokemon themselves. c:

I LOVE Raichu. In my Y playthrough I had one with Thunderbolt, Nuzzle, Electro Ball and Mega Kick. Nuzzle/Electro Ball is fucking awesome. You usually get Nuzzle off first and then Electro Ball just absolutely destroys.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2017
    Lapras is so much fun to use. It's a water type so you can teach it Surf and deal a ton of damage. Plus one of the most powerful and popular moves Ice Beam it learns by leveling up before it even hits level 40! So if you get the TM you can teach it to someone else (If you're playing before Gen 5). Also you can teach it Thunderbolt, Dragon Pulse, Psychic. So much you can do with it but my favorite... if a Gym Leader has a tough pokemon you have trouble with and it's their final Pokemon... Perish Song. Wait a couple turns and switch out. You won the battle.

You could even use it as a HM slave if you wanted. Surf, Strength, Whirlpool, Rock Smash, Waterfall, Dive.

Dragonite and Garchomp are tough competitors when you battle the champion. Not for Lapras. I love it.

Sirfetch’d

Castform - was about to shelve this in the box but now I'm enjoying it a fair bit. Weather Ball is deceptively powerful under the right conditions.

You are officially my fav member. Castform is by far my favorite Pokemon to use in game. It's quite fun with it's good movepool! Let's not forget its cute to look at :3

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • I also love using Venusaur & Typhlosion, coz Bulba & Cynda are two of my others favs apart from Pika & also both can learn a wide range of moves to counter their weakness.

Pika Pika :chu:

d4rk

Oh my Arceus!
    Years
  • For some reason I always end up using a Leech Seed user (most preferrably Venusaur but sometimes Ferrothorn) and a Gardevoir somewhere. And a Raichu. I hate all the Pikachu hype, but in-game I cannot help but catch it and raise it T-T

Midi

Charming Ghost~
    Years
  • Ever since seeing an artist I follow's humanization of Chandelure (look at my avatar,) I'd figure I can fit one in my party to see how it'll work. What I didn't know at the time was that Chandelure is one of the strongest Special Attackers out there, so it was nice learning that.

Lady Grimdour

Gifmistress
    Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2016
    Malamar. Always.

Contrary, Superpower, Knock Off, Rest, Sleep Talk. Wonderful for endurance games.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • I usually end up using mostly early-game pokemon on my teams when I'm not doing a challenge, and it's not a particularly memorable squad. When I do a challenge, however, I grow so attached to using certain pokemon that they usually make it onto my next in-game team. Roserade is a fabulous example, as I used it the first instance of my Ultimate Monograss Challenge, then fell in love with it's sheer power and ability to capitalize off the many weathers Grass Monos are forced to run with Weather Ball (I started with Diamond and ran Sun, Rain, and Hail on the same in-game team). When I went into the other games, I found myself using Roserade in every game that it was available.

As far as pokemon that see usage often: Roserade will be there when I can get it easily. Chandelure most certainly would if I could get it earlier (I despise almost all Fire types, so it is nice to have one that isn't awful or ugly). Tropius is an auto-catch after my Emerald Grass Mono because ITS A DINOSAUR-TREE-THING WITH BANANAS ON IT THAT CAN LEARN FLY AND EARTHQUAKE. Shinx also gets used often, it was the first pokemon I ever caught. I've taken a liking to Meowstic-F in the Kalos games. Nincada works great because you get two pokemon for the price of one. Snover is a bit socially awkward with Snow Warning, but still fun when you have appropriate precautions in place. Parasect now sees playtime on every FRLG run because Spore is stupidly overpowered. There are a couple more too.

Back