• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Newbie... Help!

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2016
    Right so..

I have recently come across my old Nintendo Ds, but can not find any of my games. I remember having one or two different Pokémon games but not sure which ones and I am 100% certain I never completed either of them.

Here's for the questions..
    -Do all the Pokémon games for DS need to be played in the order that they were created (does the story line carry on). And if so, can anyone list me the games in either the order they were created or the order that I need to play them??

DS version only though! (Been told some older versions that were on the game boy and not DS but that some were remade I think??? help?)

Right so..

I have recently come across my old Nintendo Ds, but can not find any of my games. I remember having one or two different Pokémon games but not sure which ones and I am 100% certain I never completed either of them.

Here's for the questions..
    -Do all the Pokémon games for DS need to be played in the order that they were created (does the story line carry on). And if so, can anyone list me the games in either the order they were created or the order that I need to play them??

DS version only though! (Been told some older versions that were on the game boy and not DS but that some were remade I think??? help?)
    There are various Pokemon games for the DS.

• Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum
    • HeartGold and SoulSilver (Remakes of the older Gold and Silver on the Game Boy)
    • Black and White
    • Black 2 and White 2
    The games grouped together (such as Black and White) are very similar to each other, and you don't need to play both or all three of them in order to get the story line for that set of games. I would recommend playing Black or White before you play Black 2 or White 2, but aside from that, you don't need to play the games in any particular order. Hope this was helpful! :)

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
    Years
  • First of all, welcome to Pokecommunity. Its a pleasure meeting you.
    No No No. For most of the DS games, there is nothing of that sort. The first ones were Diamond/Pearl and followed by Platinum, although I advice you to play Platinum. All the three have almost the same storyline, but with different legendaries, and with Platinum having more advanced graphics and the addition of special Distortion World. After this come HeartGold and SoulSilver, and you could play any one of 'em. Then we have Black/White and Black 2/White 2, and these games do have successive storylines. So, you are adviced to first play either of B/W and then continue their respective sequels.

Yep! Its HeartGold/SoulSilver, the initial games being Gold/Silver.
    So, I guess those answers are enough for now. We hope you'll have a nice time here. In case of any doubt, contact us, as we won't bite. See yah around here!

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2016
    Right I'm really bad at understanding things and my slight OCD wants me to make sure I play things in order so I don't miss any thing out and can enjoy as much of the Pokémon story as possible.

So if I just bought Platinum, that is the same story line as Diamond and Pearl just better?

Are black and white the same as the others and share a similar story just different legends?

Do I need to play black and white before I play black and white 2?

Thanks for your help and patience.

TheLegendaryGuy

Years
  • So if I just bought Platinum, that is the same story line as Diamond and Pearl just better?

Exactly same storylines, just the difference in legendaries. Diamond's got Dialga, Pearl Palkia and Platinum Giratina, and Platinum has even got a new area, the Distortion World, as I already mentioned.

Are black and white the same as the others and share a similar story just different legends?
    Yes, they are. In Black, you get to fight Reshiram and Kyurem in White. Its exactly opposite in their sequals.

Do I need to play black and white before I play black and white 2?
    Yes, you do. Otherwise, you won't completely understand the story in B2/W2.

Thanks for your help and patience.

You are welcome. If you have any other doubts, feel free to messege me up.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2016
    Right! Think I'm getting it??

So, if I bought let's say Pokémon Platinum, Black1 and Black2 and I played them all, I would have played all the "story" and the only thing I would miss are the different legendary from the other games (diamond, pearl, white and white2).

If I'm still not getting please just write me a list in which order I should play what games I need to.

TheLegendaryGuy

Years
  • Right! Think I'm getting it??

So, if I bought let's say Pokémon Platinum, Black1 and Black2 and I played them all, I would have played all the "story" and the only thing I would miss are the different legendary from the other games (diamond, pearl, white and white2).

If I'm still not getting please just write me a list in which order I should play what games I need to.

You forgot HeartGold/SoulSilver. Oh and yes, here's the list :-
    1. Pokémon Platinum
    2. Pokémon HeartGold
    3. Pokémon Black
    4. Pokémon Black 2
    And yes. If you played all the games in the list above, you would have finished "the story" and the only thing you would miss would be the legendary beasts from other games.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2016
    It took a while but we finally got there!

My plan is the play the games in your list and once played and finished them four, if I feel like it (probably will), I shall go back and play the missed games as pure enjoyment of the different legends.

Thanks for now, il be back soon probably taking about the game for hints and tips.

Back