• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help with first Competitive Tournament

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2023
    So, there is going to be a Pokemon Competitive Tournament coming up in my area this April. So I think I would give it a try and see how far I will get. But I wait to be prepared for this and knock have my butt handed to me so easily. So I wait to create a team for this upcoming tournament but I need help building/breeding the team. I have a OU team built on Pokemon Showdown, but I would like some advice on how to improve and if possible help build this team. I only have one rule: No Legendary Pokemon. I don't care for them and they are too hard to train. With that said, he is my team that I crated:

Pokemon: Talonflame
    Position: Taunt/ Specially Defensive
    Ability: Gale Wings
    Item: None
    Moves:
    Acrobatics
    Roost
    Bulk Up
    Taunt

Pokemon: Sylveon
    Position: Healer
    Ability: Pixilate
    Item: Leftovers
    Moves:
    Wish
    Protect
    Hyper Voice
    Heal Bell

Pokemon: Tentacruel
    Position: Support
    Ability: Liquid Ooze
    Item: Black Sludge
    Moves:
    Scald
    Rapid Spin
    Acid Spray
    Toxic Spikes

Pokemon: Garchomp
    Position: Mixed Attacker
    Ability: Rough Skin
    Item: Life Orb
    Moves:
    Draco Meteor
    Earthquake
    Fire Blast
    Stone Edge

Pokemon: Aggron
    Position: Tank
    Ability: Sturdy
    Item: Aggronite
    Moves:
    Stealth Rock
    Heavy Slam
    Thunder Wave
    Earthquake

Pokemon: Vocarona
    Position: Offensive Quiver Dance
    Ability: Flame Body
    Item: Lum Berry
    Moves:
    Quiver Dance
    Fire Blast
    Giga Drain
    Bug Buzz

I know this team has a weakness, but it also has it's strengths as well. Any help you can give would be great. I will trade just about anything to get this team up and running. Thanks.

Battle, Trade, and have a nice Day.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    You need to EV train them, as that's a very important part of competitive sets. Same with natures.

You'll also probably want to run your Garchomp as your SR setter and swap Aggron with something else (Mega Garchomp makes for a better mixed attacker anyway). There's better options for your mega slot really. The usual SR Garchomp looks like this:
    Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Rough Skin
    EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Tail
    - Fire Blast

Though you could also make an offensive variant if you want.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2023
    First, I wait to thank you for your response. This really helps me in the long run. Next, I will keep EV training in mind, after all it is easier now than in past gens. Do you think I should also consider IV as well? I will take what you said and make my Garchomp my Mega Mix attacker and trade off my Aggron. However, I still wait a tank for my team. Ideas for a good tank? Again thanks!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    You do want to IV breed if you can. It's not quite as necessary as most of the other stuff but the better stats are usually pretty helpful.

As for something to fill in the Aggron slot, one idea is Scizor:

Scizor @ Scizorite
    EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
    Ability: Technician
    Impish Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Roost
    - Bullet Punch
    - Knock Off/U-turn

Has pretty good bulk and has Roost, with Swords Dance to improve its offensive presence and threaten Fairies and frailer offensive 'mons with STAB Technician Bullet Punch. Knock Off is just plain a good move, while U-turn allows you to keep the momentum in your favor usually.

One other thing I was thinking was that your team's success largely hinges on Tentacruel being alive and well, since it sports a few key resistances and has Rapid Spin, which is vital to Talonflame and Volcarona being able to perform. Its lack of a recovery move bugs me a bit, but you can possibly get by anyway with Sylveon providing support. If not, bulky Natural Cure Starmie is another Rapid Spinning Water type to think about, since it gets Recover.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years

• The major issue is that your team is for OU and any official tournaments are played in the VGC tier, AKA Doubles (bring 6 mons to battle, choose 4 to use) and you absolutely MUST use 2 "restricted Pokémon", all of which are legendaries.

If your tournament is unofficial (i.e. not listed on Pokemon.com) AND you have spoken to the organizer to confirm that the battle format is singles OU, ignore this post. Otherwise assume that it's VGC. The format looks a lot like this:
    Spoiler:

With that out of the way, here is how you might make this team VGC ready. It's hard to build off an OU team rather than building out from your Restricteds, but here goes nothing:
    Spoiler:

And here is a skeleton of the first 5 mons from above. The 6th is up to you, I'd personally recommend Smeargle.
    Spoiler:

People on the trade forum can help you a Lot with this. Plenty of people who will breed the minions for you are scattered around. In all likelihood, someone can get you a clone of the restricted mons for basically nothing. I got my Xern and Kyogre (3IV each, but they were the IVs and Nature I wanted) for nothing and a cloned Shiny Fletchling respectively. Can't help the general desire not to use them, VGC is evil like that.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2023
    You do want to IV breed if you can. It's not quite as necessary as most of the other stuff but the better stats are usually pretty helpful.

As for something to fill in the Aggron slot, one idea is Scizor:

Scizor @ Scizorite
    EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
    Ability: Technician
    Impish Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Roost
    - Bullet Punch
    - Knock Off/U-turn

Has pretty good bulk and has Roost, with Swords Dance to improve its offensive presence and threaten Fairies and frailer offensive 'mons with STAB Technician Bullet Punch. Knock Off is just plain a good move, while U-turn allows you to keep the momentum in your favor usually.

One other thing I was thinking was that your team's success largely hinges on Tentacruel being alive and well, since it sports a few key resistances and has Rapid Spin, which is vital to Talonflame and Volcarona being able to perform. Its lack of a recovery move bugs me a bit, but you can possibly get by anyway with Sylveon providing support. If not, bulky Natural Cure Starmie is another Rapid Spinning Water type to think about, since it gets Recover.

I just did a Pokemon Showdown with what you said. I like the Srarmie on the team, cause it really fits well with my team and recover nicely. However I am not feeling Scizor that much on the team. One good fire attack and he is down. So I was thinking ofmaking Garchomp my mega. So instead of a tank Pokemon, I was thinking of a set up Pokemon. Sometimes that can either steath rock, or maybe toxic spikes. I was thinking Metagross could fit that position. What do you think?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I just did a Pokemon Showdown with what you said. I like the Srarmie on the team, cause it really fits well with my team and recover nicely. However I am not feeling Scizor that much on the team. One good fire attack and he is down. So I was thinking ofmaking Garchomp my mega. So instead of a tank Pokemon, I was thinking of a set up Pokemon. Sometimes that can either steath rock, or maybe toxic spikes. I was thinking Metagross could fit that position. What do you think?

Mega Garchomp must be paired with Tyranitar or Hippowdon, as Sand Force is useless outside of sandstorm. Surprisingly, regular Garchomp performs much better than its Mega counterpart, because the Speed drop as a Mega is rather detrimental for it.

Scizor is one of the best Mega Pokemon because of its excellent bulk all-round and has a good set of resistances. Yes, the 4x Fire weakness is a problem, but it's literally the only weakness Scizor has and Scizor shouldn't be staying in on Fire Pokemon anyway and you have teammates to cover for that weakness.

Also, in regards to legendaries, legendary status has no bearing on a Pokemon's viability. Heck, some legendaries are terrible in standard play, like all four Regis and Articuno.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2023
    Maybe I did jump the gun with Mega Scizor. Bug it's a pain when you lose so may times in a row. Thanks for the advice! I will keep trying on Showdown with this team. I am still learning and building, any more advice?

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Maybe I did jump the gun with Mega Scizor. Bug it's a pain when you lose so may times in a row. Thanks for the advice! I will keep trying on Showdown with this team. I am still learning and building, any more advice?

Looks like that team might be weak to Talonflame with no Flying resists. Having trouble coming up with decent non-legendary Talon checks in singles though except possibly Rotom-W. Again, none of this matters if the tourney is doubles, so check that. I'm also on the battle server if you want to test your team, same name as here

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2023
    So I might have to rethink my team here and break my one role. Cause I keep losing, badly, in Showdown. I wait to build a team that I am proud of so I can battle at this convention called Tekko. There are going to be Pokemon gyms, other trainer s and Team Rocket to fight. It is not a official tournament, but it can get me started. That's why I wait to build a good team. So I can battle with the best of them.

Back