• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

VGC 2016

Years
  • after a long absence, I'm back

VGC 2016 took me by a surprise when it was announced that certain Legendaries are back. I immediately thought Groudon, Kyogre and Xerneas will be overdominating the meta for this year. Anyways, I only got back into competitive play last week and drafted up a team. I've been practicing and testing it out on Showdown, getting myself familiar with the other Pokemon used in the battles and whatnot. But I'd like to see what you guys think of it and what can be improved.

Groudon @ Red Orb
    Ability: Drought
    Level: 50
    EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Precipice Blades
    - Protect
    - Rock Slide
    - Fire Punch

Xerneas @ Power Herb
    Ability: Fairy Aura
    EVs: 24 HP / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Geomancy
    - Protect
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Hidden Power [Ground]

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
    Ability: Inner Focus
    EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def / 52 SpD / 68 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Fake Out
    - Crunch
    - Drain Punch
    - Double Edge

Aegislash @ Lum Berry
    Ability: Stance Change
    EVs: 252 HP / 100 Atk / 156 SpD
    Brave Nature
    - King's Shield
    - Wide Guard
    - Gyro Ball
    - Shadow Sneak

Amoonguss @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Relaxed Nature
    - Worry Seed
    - Spore
    - Giga Drain
    - Rage Powder

Thundurus @ Mental Herb
    Ability: Prankster
    EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 36 SpA / 72 SpD / 28 Spe
    Calm Nature
    - Taunt
    - Thunder Wave
    - Grass Knot
    - Thunderbolt

I took the EV spreads off of Smogon, so I haven't run any specific damage calcs yet.
    My problems that I have encountered are:
    Smeargle, Whimsicott, Crobat, Meowstic-M, and Ferrothorn (sorta)
    So if any of you have suggestions to counter/take them down ASAP, it'll be appreciated.

I usually lead off with Kangaskhan and Thundurus. If there is an opposing Fake Out user on the field, I don't Mega Evolve on the first turn since my Kangas has Inner Focus. I'd rather take some damage and still get a flinch than get flinched altogether on the first turn. Provided that my Thundurus doesn't get a Fake Out, it will always go for a Taunt on them. But some of them come with a Mental Herb, curing them of the status and getting off moves such as Dark Void, Worry Seed, Spore, Safeguard, Quick Guard and Tailwind.
    My team isn't...exactly "trick room" per se, but just in case of it being set up, I gave my Groudon a -Spe nature with 0IVs/EVs in Speed so I could surprise them. Now this might not be the scenario for every battle, but P-Groudon is able to take on one Earth Power/Precipice Blades. Aegislash and Amoonguss are more comfortable in Trick Room though. Best to have some backup.

Unlike my 2015 team of Blaziken, Chesnaught, Swampert, (Mega) Metagross, Hydreigon and Togekiss, I don't have much type coverage. Then again, in this year's meta, you can't really afford to choose 6 Pokemon just for type coverage. Groudon/Xerneas are basically the killing machines and my 2015 team looks like it doesn't stand a chance whatsoever.

But yeah, if you guys can give me any recommendations/suggestions it'd be lovely :)

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Amoonguss is too bulky for Focus Sash. Sitrus Berry or Black Sludge should be its item. While Worry Seed can mess with abilities, Amoonguss is too slow for it, IMO. Protect should be in there because it's just too good in doubles to give up. Grass Knot or Clear Smog are also worth considering, as the former hits the Primals hard and the latter wipes away Xerneas' Geomancy boosts, making it easier to deal with. A specially defensive spread is also better: 244 HP/60 Def/204 SDef is the spread to use.

Max HP/max Attack should be used on Groudon to make the most out of its good Attack.

RawrMonkey

bloop
    Years
  • I knew what problems you had before even reading them lol. Your team is very slow and would work very well with some trick room support to counter those tailwinders specifically. Although you say it's not quite a trick room team, it is mainly used to counter those teams that rely heavily on speed. Cresselia and Bronzong are decent choices and would replace one of your two support Pokemon, Thundurus or Amoonguss, or Aegislash, where you lack a lot of damage.

Groudon is better off offensively invested and I highly don't recommend Smogon EV spreads for VGC.

Groudon @ Red Orb
    Ability: Drought
    EVs: 252 HP / 196 Att / 60 SpD or 252 HP / 252 Att / 4 SpA
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Precipice Blades
    - Protect
    - Rock Slide
    - Fire Punch/Flamethrower/Eruption

The first EV spread is just an example of benchmarking for an offensive Pokemon. You don't want to completely take out all your EVs from offense into defense. The 60 SpD EVs allow you to survive an Earth Power from Timid Groudon.

Since you're running Brave nature, consider running flamethrower for a bit smaller damage to bypass any intimidates or random charms. Eruption is for a trick room mode if you were to consider it.

Back