• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question: Minors as PC Supporters

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
Years
  • I've been lurking around here for quite a bit before I joined, and the site has helped me out immensely even though I wasn't a member back then. I'm currently not the legal age for a full approved Paypal account (i.e under 18) but there are accounts for minors and whatnot, and I'm currently working towards Silver Tier for now by selling away giftcards I can't / don't use.

I'd like to think I'm not the only user who's not eligible for a credit card of sorts, so this is a question to all those who aren't the legal age to have a personal back account, how do you guys manage to support PC? It'll be cool to know how, and maybe I could learn a few things in the process, because I feel that I've benefited a lot from the community, and giving back a little would be cool.

Years
  • Well, not every community supporter gets their rank via donations. Sometimes we have supporter titles given away as prizes in events held around the forums so look out for those when you can. I got my supporter title in such an event, albeit it was someone actually giving their prize to me because they already were a supporter.

Also, we even have some donate on behalf of another user. That is, someone else pays the donation but does it in the name of who they're giving it to. And supporters get nice benefits which is basically us at PC saying "thank you" for donating.

I don't recall if you have to be a certain age to use PayPal, but someone could donate on your behalf if that's the case. And don't worry, not every supporter here is 18 so I guess the age limit might be false. You can also read here on all the benefits of supportership and how much money is needed to achieve certain ranks. Hope that all helps!

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • Well, not every community supporter gets their rank via donations. Sometimes we have supporter titles given away as prizes in events held around the forums so look out for those when you can. I got my supporter title in such an event, albeit it was someone actually giving their prize to me because they already were a supporter.

Also, we even have some donate on behalf of another user. That is, someone else pays the donation but does it in the name of who they're giving it to. And supporters get nice benefits which is basically us at PC saying "thank you" for donating.

I don't recall if you have to be a certain age to use PayPal, but someone could donate on your behalf if that's the case. And don't worry, not every supporter here is 18 so I guess the age limit might be false. You can also read here on all the benefits of supportership and how much money is needed to achieve certain ranks. Hope that all helps!

Thanks for the information, I'll be sure to look out for these events and maybe get a title while enjoying myself. I couldn't possibly accept a gift from someone without giving them anything in return, so I guess earning it is still the best option. I'm not really all about the perks, I just want to have a way to help the community out a little, though the blog seems like a nice and cool feature to me.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Have you ever thought about asking our parents about providing the payment and then you just paying them back? I know that when I initially became a supporter that's what I did. Sure, it might seem awkward explaining to your parents that you're donating towards a Pokemon site, but it got the trick done, at least for me.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • Another thing you can try is using a prepaid credit card you buy at a store. There's no legal age limit on them, and to use them online, you just need to register the card online with your postal/zip code, then you can make use of it on PayPal, and you won't have to register on PayPal to use it, either.

Yeah, that slipped my mind completely. I could try that, but would probably ask my parents first since it would be much easier, but thanks for suggesting a workable alternative.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • When my parents would hand me cash I'd save it up for donations and hand it back to them as an account withdrawal. At 16 I have a PayPal in my mother's name and my own credit card if push comes to shove so it's not as drastic now, but nonetheless entirely possible. I've put quite a bit into this place and if I wasn't... wait a minute I have $8 on my card... uhh.. heh...

I wouldn't mind giving you silver tier. It might mess up my $25 increment thing but for now it's not like I could avoid it... :p

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • When my parents would hand me cash I'd save it up for donations and hand it back to them as an account withdrawal. At 16 I have a PayPal in my mother's name and my own credit card if push comes to shove so it's not as drastic now, but nonetheless entirely possible. I've put quite a bit into this place and if I wasn't... wait a minute I have $8 on my card... uhh.. heh...

I wouldn't mind giving you silver tier. It might mess up my $25 increment thing but for now it's not like I could avoid it... :p

Wow, I really don't know if I could accept it, but I would be really grateful! I haven't interacted with you yet, but it would really help me out if you had anything to spare. Not to mention I don't really know you or haven't done anything, it just seems pretty sudden, but it would be great! If you need the cash, though, keep it for yourself, I don't mind saving up little by little. ^^

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • Wow, I really don't know if I could accept it, but I would be really grateful! I haven't interacted with you yet, but it would really help me out if you had anything to spare. Not to mention I don't really know you or haven't done anything, it just seems pretty sudden, but it would be great! If you need the cash, though, keep it for yourself, I don't mind saving up little by little. ^^
    You seem genuine enough in this pursuit and I'm about to begin processes for claiming a pension and also finding work so I'm not worried about it too much, not to mention I'm not going to be doing a whole lot with that $8 anyway... so why not?

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • You seem genuine enough in this pursuit and I'm about to begin processes for claiming a pension and also finding work so I'm not worried about it too much, not to mention I'm not going to be doing a whole lot with that $8 anyway... so why not?

Thanks a bunch, this really means a whole lot to me. :)

Last edited:

Chimchar

THE Chimchar Tamer
    Years
  • Well, I am also a minor. My thoughts were, "When I hit 18 and a stable life and I have money to donate I will."

I wish I could support at this time but I do want to have a bit of savings for when I do graduate.

I do think it is great that you want support PC though!

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
    Years
  • After reading this, I felt the need to become a Crystal Tier donator. I'm on PC so often that I felt rude not already having done so.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • Congrats on becoming a supporter! But ultimately, just to let you know, you should never feel "guilted" into becoming one. Just do it because you want to, dawg.

Seconding this, and jumping on the bandwagon because I've run out of things to say.

Congrats Veranithas, the crystal blue looks great! Yeah, the main reason for my becoming a supporter is because I've benefited a lot from the forums, be it from the ROM hacks that I love playing, or just being the source for Pokemon information in general. It's also because of the fact that I've met some great people here, and I understand the site does need bandwidth to stay afloat. It's sort of a way to give back and show your appreciation.

Years
  • These ideas are all really good! I've been been wanting to donate for a while, but since I'm not in a position to sign up for a credit card. Maybe I'll be able to either et the prepaid card or perhaps mail in a donation. Thank you for all te ideas, everyone!

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
    Years
  • Congrats on becoming a supporter! But ultimately, just to let you know, you should never feel "guilted" into becoming one. Just do it because you want to, dawg.

Thank you :). I was just kidding about feeling rude not becoming a supporter. I did it 'cause I love you guys, and this forum is basically my e-home. They have me held captive and said they woldn't let me go unless I donated help someone help

Congrats Veranithas, the crystal blue looks great!

Thank you very much! :3

Back