• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Essentials: Online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
Hey everyone, some of you might remember a few years ago my project Pokemon Essentials: Online which combined Netplay and Essentials to allow people to make an MMORPG. The kit was buggy and hard to implement into existing projects. I decided to complete the project but in terms of plug and play scripts which add only necessary online functions such as trading and battling. The scripts included have the following basic features implemented:

• Register
  • Login
  • Trade
  • Battle

These scripts are beta, bugs are to be expected, if you encounter one, please report it

Download
Beta 2
Beta 1

Known Issues:
  • Certain items used in battle do not sync their animations, such as the throwing of pokeballs

Future Plans
  • Get some better graphics for the trade screen, they're very ugly. I'm no graphics designer, anyone want to do some?
  • Add wait message in battle system when waiting for other player to choose
  • Add a proper request system when requesting trade and battle, the current one is a very poor implementation although it works
  • Optimise and streamline trade, battle and server code
  • Add debugging to server, was present in original RMX-OS code but didn't add it when I rewrote the server line by line

Thanks
  • Blizzard - big thanks to him for all his work on RMX-OS, without it, none of this would have been possible. Server based off his code.
  • Maruno - advice on how I can implement the battle system
  • Luka S.J - inspiration

Misc

By the way, I recommend using the script found here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=307989. It will allow you to run two clients at the same time which will make testing a lot easier.

And another heads up. The battle system has 0 modifications to the actual scene so if I'm playing my cards right, your game's battle graphics will be used even in the online scene.

Hit me up for feature requests and I'll see what I can do.

Bugs fixed in the next version
  • None so far

Donations
I don't accept donations but if you wish to support me then please send some money towards the Children of Syria appeal here: http://www.warchild.org.uk/donate.

I come from Lebanon and the country is deteriorating under the huge pressure of 800,000 Syrian refugees. If you do choose to donate, PM me here with a screenshot of your donation, it will really make my day.

Last edited:

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Great you back with online project, and those features man, it is so great. I hope it will be bigger :D

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 20, 2014
Excellent Script, Alexandre! I've tested it and I've got a bug and a suggestion:
-(bug) You can connect the same account with two different clients.
-(suggestion) I think that instead asking for trading and battling and then for a name, there should be a list of all players and you can select a player and choose between battling or trading. Then a message will appear in the selected player asking for the trade or the battle.

Anyways the system looks very good, I would like a lot to use this feature into my game.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
Excellent Script, Alexandre! I've tested it and I've got a bug and a suggestion:
-(bug) You can connect the same account with two different clients.
-(suggestion) I think that instead asking for trading and battling and then for a name, there should be a list of all players and you can select a player and choose between battling or trading. Then a message will appear in the selected player asking for the trade or the battle.

Anyways the system looks very good, I would like a lot to use this feature into my game.
The bug is something I thought I fixed. I'll have a look at it again.

Your suggestion is exactly what I want to implement, my only problem is I'm not sure yet how to handle the receiving of requests. Do I put them in a list and you can choose which request you respond to? How do I handle requests that have died, how do I notify the player that they have received a new request? All these things are what made me implement requests as they are now.

And please feel free to use it in your game, remember to credit Blizzard :)

Edit:
So I looked at that bug and for some reason the fix isn't there. I must have modified one of my backups instead of my working directory by accident, it will be fixed in the next version, cheers!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 20, 2014
-I think that first you have to show the options battle or trade, and create two separate lists for those who want to battle and for those who want to trade. Then, when someone requests for battle/trade other player, it appears the message on the other screen player, and he/she has 20 seconds to answer. A player cannot be requested by other players if he is already being requested.

-Other option is create the 2 separate lists, and if a player requests other player, its name appears in blue color in the other player list, so you'll se blue the name of those who sent you a request. Then if you select some of those with blue name, the battle/trade will automatically start.

I don't know what will be easier to you for do, I'm just giving some ideas.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
I really thought this would generate more interest...

Anyway an update for you guys who are following. Tomorrow I will be releasing beta 2 which fixes some bugs and includes account management such as changing password, forgot password etc.

Along with this I will be offering a service to people who want to implement PE:O in their games but don't want to have their computer running all the time for the server. I have the server running on a webhost online and it works perfectly. Please PM if you would like me to run a server instance for your game and we can organise something. I will be working on an administration panel for you to be able to manage your server.

Cheers.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
Beta 2 released! Contains bug fixes and account management features.

Beta 3 planned features:
-Admin control panel to do things such as restart server, ban users etc
-Mystery gift implementation - place a file on the server which it will load, probably just to set a switch/variable on the client

tylerab01

Pokemon AquaHarmony
Years
Nice seeing you back Alexandre, I am glad to see that you are working on this project again and I will be keeping an eye on this for sure!

Years
  • Seen Nov 9, 2013
Oh My Gosh you have no idea how wonderful this is to me. I've spent countless days trying to take apart old Pokemon Essentials Online to adapt it with my game and now my hours off work...don't really pay off but they're over at least! o u o. Anyway the real point of this post was to point out a few bugs I noticed while testing:
1. After a trade you are sent back to the login page as opposed to the Battle/Trade/Account page, which isn't bad in and of itself but you can't log back in once your sent to the login page. Nothing major, it can be fixed by leaving the login and then reconnecting to the server.
2. After a trade the game doesn't force a save (I'm going to look in to the code and see if I can't add that in myself) So if one person saves and the other person doesn't the pokemon is cloned and not traded. Again nothing big just pointing it out.

Years
  • Seen Aug 26, 2016
I must say great work on your system, unfortunately I can't seem to get the mysql server working though. I get an error along the lines of 'Table storage engine for '' doesn't have this option' and if I try to run main.rb it appears and disappears in a split second.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
I must say great work on your system, unfortunately I can't seem to get the mysql server working though. I get an error along the lines of 'Table storage engine for '' doesn't have this option' and if I try to run main.rb it appears and disappears in a split second.
That error is normal when importing the database, not quite sure what causes it. Are you sure you entered the correct details for the MySQL server in main.rb?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
For the few people following this, I'm sorry for the lack of updates recently. I just started university again and I'm busy with some other commitments. I don't have anything to release apart from some bug fixes which don't warrant a new beta. Please do keep submitting feature requests and bug reports, I will get to them eventually.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
For the few people following this, I'm sorry for the lack of updates recently. I just started university again and I'm busy with some other commitments. I don't have anything to release apart from some bug fixes which don't warrant a new beta. Please do keep submitting feature requests and bug reports, I will get to them eventually.

I feel you, I am working on a MapleStory project in a different forum and I cannot update as quick as I want to because of school.

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2021
Are savegames stored in the mysql database like rmx-os or are they stored locally?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
Are savegames stored in the mysql database like rmx-os or are they stored locally?
Locally stored. I was thinking of storing them on the server but that would force people to be connected to the internet to play. I guess I could have it so you can upload and download your save to the server.

ShadowFiendZX

Gym Leader
Years
Would there be a way to have all these files off a website so I wouldn't need to use my computer? There's several reasons why I can't use my computer, My dad wouldn't even consider letting me port forward, he frequently shuts off the wifi, executing the SQL in HeidiSQL gave several errors, and after running Main.rb it crashed in like 5 seconds.

I followed the instructions word for word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back