• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon announced!

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
  • alright, that video on Serribi made my day. It looks to me that they are reverting back to basics as well, which is exactly what they should do after Gates. Also I guess now it's confirmed they are going to stay with the "turned into a Pokemon" thing. I have no Problem with that, but i have seen others that will probably snicker a bit haha. I really hope this game is as good as it is looking right now :)

Here is the vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8nnxYvwrhQ
    SPOILER ALERT!!!

Being turned into a human isn't necessarily a bad thing storywise. In the first PMD set, yeah, the hero turning into a Pokemon willingly and undergoing amnesia because they wanted to prove they were hero material was corny and a bit stupid. But the second set had the hero being forcibly transformed against their will, AND actually being a real Pokemon trainer (kinda) with Grovyle as their partner. This fourth third one might have something good like that.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • Personally, I think the whole "human turning into a Pokemon" thing is cliche at this point, especially since we never see any other humans or any implications they exist other than the player's existence (I heard theories of the PMD world being a post-apocalyptic world before). Though the only reason they do that is most likely because they want the player to relate to the protagonist more because the player is human him/herself

At least they're bringing back the personality test, which is a plus, even with the limited typing in the starter selection.

While being able to play as all the starters is a blessing, you are right in that it gives you very limited options for types. The main-game starters are always portrayed as the protagonist's ace Pokemon in the main games (hence making them a protagonist in their own way), so it's natural they have them dominating the roster. Riolu's presence was mainly due to the popularity of Lucario, and Pikachu is too obvious to even explain.

And for clarification, Pikachu has been a main-game starter. It's the one you get as your partner in Yellow, and acts basically like Ash's Pikachu from the anime.

I kinda liked there was more variety in the earlier PMD games, but as we got more and more new main-game starters as the generations went they put more focus into those (as we know, starters always get tons of marketing and are generally popular because they are your first partner after all) and sadly it came at the expense of those other Pokemon. The issue is that they just love to favor the most popular stuff because they appeal the most to the targeted demographic who follows the franchise.

I played Yellow before so I already knew that Pikachu was a starter, though I wouldn't say the starter is the main series protagonist's ace Pokemon, especially since the entire point of team building in the main games (be it competitive or not) is to essentially expand from the starter, not limit yourself to the starter. I mean, the first game had Cubone, Meowth, Machop, Psyduck, Skitty and Eevee as starters, as well as Pikachu and the starters, and EoS had the starters, Pikachu, Meowth, Munchlax, and also added Riolu, Vulpix, Shinx, and Phampy, and also re-added Eevee.

It would make more sense if they had a Gen 6 Pokemon (asides from the starters) to further clarify this as a Gen 6 game, and I think something like Pancham, Espurr, or Goomy would make more sense than Riolu, a Pokemon from Gen 4. The main problem with the starter selection is that, like I said earlier, there's no variety in typing, especially since the story refuses to evolve the player Pokemon until after the main story is over (and 90% of all starter Pokemon don't have secondary types until their second or final form), not to mention how the main story always discourages the use of recruited Pokemon from dungeons, so there's really only 5 Pokemon you can play as when you really narrow the selection down. I know Lucario is very popular, but there are numerous other Pokemon they can use.

CJoE

スマイルは無料で? ?? �� �� ��
    Years
  • I'm really excited about this new. I've been keep repeating the same Red Team version, when this new game released, i finally can move on. Can't wait! 8)

Burritoburger

Shiny Hunter/Trader
    Years
  • Super Mystery Dungeon Speculation & Trailer Analysis Thread

If those viewing this thread are as interested in the recently announced Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game as I am, maybe they would like to speculate and analyze some trailers. Well, hop aboard! This thread is for those who want to put in a thought or two, help root through the current information about the game, and just generally discuss what they believe will be in the game.

I myself wanted to find some analysis on the recent Japanese trailer but after finding no videos or threads about on this forum, I decided I'd do some analysis myself. I wanted to specifically know what the little box with the number was that frequently appeared at the top-right corner of the screen...
    6JnhaaS.jpg

Given the fact that it appeared when the player opens their bag, I thought it was a belly meter! And sure enough, after some translating it seems as though the Japanese letters roughly translate to "Stomach" based on Google Translate. So it looks like the Belly mechanic is coming back!

Of course, further proof of this fact is that at about a minute in, right before the Pikachu falls in the confusion trap, there is an Apple sitting right in front of him.

Discuss!

Years
  • The inclusion of Mega Evolutions in the game was nice, even if we were kind of expecting it at the same time. Nice to see the official art of Pikachu, Riolu and the starters as well.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    I kinda am wondering how Mega Evolution works in the game. I mean, Megavolution can only be achieved from the bond between the Pokémon and their trainer, plus the mega stones that 'sync' their bond. :/

But aw well~ I'm still excited as heck! I wanna play it as Fenny! <3

mew_nani

Years
  • I kinda am wondering how Mega Evolution works in the game. I mean, Megavolution can only be achieved from the bond between the Pokémon and their trainer, plus the mega stones that 'sync' their bond. :/

But aw well~ I'm still excited as heck! I wanna play it as Fenny! <3
    For mega evolution to work there'd have to be a human character in there. Of course you ARE a human, just transformed... maybe it might still work if you were the one with the Key Stone, and your partner was the one with the Mega Stone. Or there might be a human villain, or human villain also transformed into a Pokemon a la PMD1 with the same layout. Of course that's if they decide not to just cheese it and have it work without any good explanations.

Actually that Mega Charizard Y has a glowing Explorer Badge... Maybe the Mega Stone goes in there, and acts as the accessory keeping the Mega Stone in place. They have armor and stuff in the anime specials that serves this purpose. And that tree in the background... it looks like Xerneas's dormant form. It also looks like two Pokemon are on its back, so flying around might be a thing here.

Last edited:

mew_nani

Years
  • LOL I'm just starting to think they'll be like "psyduck it" and just make it so that as long as you have the appropriate mega stone in your inventory or something, you can evolve to that specific Pokemon.

I mean, they've cheese most Pokemon's evolutionary methods (especially ones that require trade). Not particularly difficult to imagine the same logic applying to megas. u_u
    At least the trade evolutions are sorta, kinda, justified. Normal trade evolutions I can't quite explain (maybe they're changing because they're gaining knowledge through being traded to another person, or maybe they're reacting to a particular energy given off during trading that most Pokemon are immune to) but Shelmet's and Karrablast's evolutions could be explained by Shelmet's shell getting stolen by Karrablast when the two are traded, and they evolve to adapt to their changed states (Shelmet evolves into Accelgor because it lost its shell, and Karrablast evolved into Escavalier to take advantage of the new shell it got) and for item trade evolutions it could be argued that the traded Pokemon is fusing with the item it's holding as it's being traded (I have no clue how that would work, and I can't explain Seadra evolving into Kingra while it's holding an item that coats most of its chest.) As for other methods, with stone evolutions the Pokemon are reacting to a specific gem that holds a power that they're especially reactive to (like a Pikachu evolving because of a Thunder Stone; it reacts to the electrical energies emitted by it,) level evolutions can be explained by the Pokemon maturing as it levels up, and friendship evolutions deal with the trust a Pokemon has towards its owner, and if it evolves during the day or night it could be reacting to the sun or the moon when it bonds with its owner enough.

Mega Evolution however is specifically shown to only apply between a Pokemon and its trainer. The trainer needs an item called a Key Stone placed near or on their body, in the form of a bangle, a ring, or something of that nature. The Pokemon needs their species specific Mega Stone, also attached to the body in some form. Together in battle the two react to one another and the Pokemon Mega Evolves for the duration of the battle, reverting back when the battle is over. For it to work using the Mega Stone method without a human partner wouldn't really make a lot of sense, because the Mega Stone just simply can't function without the Key Stone.

472.png

You found the mythical Gliscor of love! Reply to the Post-Off.

Last edited by a moderator:

mew_nani

Years
  • This is a fair point. Another route they can take is making the Key Stone an obligatory item in order to use the mega evolution. For example, say you wanted to mega-evolve mawile. You would have the Key Stone in your inventory and then give Mawile it's mega-stone, and that would automatically m-evolve it. Taking the mega stone away from Mawile would revert it back to its normal state. That seems like a more probable way to go about with things, right?
    Well it would make more sense. Assuming the hero's former human status still allows the Key Stone to work, that would likely work, likely in the way you describe as it would be impractical if it only lasted a floor.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    I wonder if we can already preorder the game. I've read that you can preorder the Japanese version, but I don't think I've seen an announcement wherein you can preorder the US version. :/

Years
  • I remember hearing that someone wanted genders to appear in the game again, but I feel like that it's probably going to be unlikely since I noticed Pikachu's tail is the default "male" design. The other starters don't have visible gender differences which doesn't help either.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I remember hearing that someone wanted genders to appear in the game again, but I feel like that it's probably going to be unlikely since I noticed Pikachu's tail is the default "male" design. The other starters don't have visible gender differences which doesn't help either.

I dont think Pikachu's tail really means anything. Pikachu is probably male by default because of the anime and it being the mascot pokemon. Aren't the starters most likely male in the main-series games because of the higher male player base? I think we have to just keep on guessing, but my guess is the game will have genders because they had them prior and the older fan base would prefer it.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I wouldn't be surprised if they made certain starters male and other starters female like what they did with the partners in the past. But even then for what you are it would be better if both genders were avaliable. Either way I know I'll probably end up using Pikachu regardless. Still, minor details such as gender differences are imporant so I hope they don't just... not do them.

mew_nani

Years
    They'd have to have genders though. PMD2 had eggs available, and not only that but moves like Attract, Captivate, and abilities like Rivalry and Cute Charm are a thing so they'd have to be included. It just might be that the person doing the demo chose to be a girl during the questionnaire and as a result a male Pikachu showed up.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2022
    I found something interesting in the trailer. In that one shot we have a clear look of the 'new' world in this game, one may notice something familiar. The big island on the right looks a lot like the island from Mystery Dungeon: Red and Blue Rescue Team. Take a look yourself:
    Spoiler:

Years
  • Fact: The personal development of you, the transformed pokemon, is integral to the plot of mystery dungeon.

Fact: Super Mystery Dungeon will have mega evolution.

Fact: Standard evolution, is used to demonstrate development of your character.

Fact: Some main characters you will be able to play as will be able to mega evolve. (Mega Charizard Y and Mega-Sceptile shown to be playable alongside other starters)

As a result: Either some main characters will develop more than others OR all starter pokemon will be granted mega evolutions.

Since development is integral to the plot, it doesn't seem feasible that GF will have different and less rewarding storylines for non-mega evolving characters.

Therefore, I think as a way to promote sales and the main series (hype up next mainseries game, like X2Y2, Z, or some equivolent) GF will introduce mega evolutions for all starter pokemon in this game.

Years
  • Interesting theory, though I'm not too sure about them giving adding new mega evolutions in a spinoff. It just...doesn't seem like something they would do at all. :[

Why can't I be unreasonably optimistic? :p

Generally, I would agree, but it would be a way to market the Pokemon Z (or its equivalent) for Spring 2016 or Fall 2016.

But really? I don't think this will happen honestly. I just wonder how they will account for the assymetrical ability to mega evolve partner/starter pokemon???

Years
  • I've only really come to appreciate the Mystery Dungeon series this year. I tried one of the DS ones but couldn't get into it but have finally given it a proper chance with Gates to Infinity and the more I get into it the more I like it. I may even go back and try the older ones again. So I'm pleased that I'll be going through the new game with everyone else, well, Europeans anyway, everyone else will probably have long finished it by the time we get it! But at least I won't be baffled by its popularity anymore! Looking forward to finding out more about it... and hoping for a name change!

Back