• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Poke Gender (I'm just wondering)

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    -unsure about thread location, pls advice if in the wrong section-

I'm really just wondering if other people look for a certain gender when catching pokemon. Not for the evolution, but for how you just perceive them to be.

For example, I am very picky with my pokemon, I train them REALLY hard because I pick cute vs strong. I would much rather have (female) Dragonair than Dragonite or Salamence. This king of thing.

Anyway, what I want to know is do you get picky when you're catching pokemon? Like, in the Eeveelutions, for me..

Male:
    Flareon
    Jolteon
    Glaceon
    Umbreon

Female:
    Slyveon
    Leafeon
    Vaporeon
    Espeon

Haha, so I have long hours of play time just searching for the right gender according to how I perceive them to be. {XD}

How about you? :)

Killua

Hmmm this is pretty interesting, I normally do not see pokémons as female or male excepto for pokémons like Mr. Mime and Jynx who are more human Looking that being sais of I bred a male buneary with 6 perfect ivs I woudn't just not use it
    Also I do not see any eveelution as male or female

Reactions: Sun

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Me too!

I refuse to train a male Gardevoir or Braixen. In fact, on my first playthrough of Y, I spent a lot of time restarting until I got a female Fennekin. Also, I prefer female Eeveelutions in general. In particular, Sylveon. I will not use a male Sylveon either. Most of this really applies to feminine Pokemon that I don't think should be male though.

As for a male example I don't see as being female... well, I'd rather have a male Aggron, male Charizard, and male Lucario. Although because I'm kinda sexist (I prefer female Pokemon), I won't reject females if I get them. It will just feel... kind of off and wrong.

Early

☆ My, how the Earth does move... ☆
    Years
  • For the most part, gender only matters to me on Pokemon whose stats/appearance change depending on whether they're male or female (i.e. I specifically searched for a female Espurr/Meowstic first for her offensive skills, but wouldn't have cared either way if there was no difference between the two), and think the genders are purely cosmetic otherwise. I personally love my two male Sylveon, and female Empoleon and Scrafty. In fact, catching male Pokemon of "feminine"-looking species, and vice-versa, is actually something I like to do. Genderless Pokemon can swing either way, but I personally say any of them can be interpreted as "male" or "female" if the viewer insists; I used to think of my Shaymin as male and Zapdos as female.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
  • This bothers me more now than it ever has done in the past. Now when forming a team in any game, I'll actually go out of my way to find a Pokemon that has a specific gender that I feel suits it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023

Oh wow. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this. xD
    I know it's weird, but I spend a lot of time looking specific gender, hahaha. Then grinding A LOT.

For the most part, gender only matters to me on Pokemon whose stats/appearance change depending on whether they're male or female (i.e. I specifically searched for a female Espurr/Meowstic first for her offensive skills, but wouldn't have cared either way if there was no difference between the two), and think the genders are purely cosmetic otherwise. I personally love my two male Sylveon, and female Empoleon and Scrafty. In fact, catching male Pokemon of "feminine"-looking species, and vice-versa, is actually something I like to do. Genderless Pokemon can swing either way, but I personally say any of them can be interpreted as "male" or "female" if the viewer insists; I used to think of my Shaymin as male and Zapdos as female.

I;m not good with EVs and IVs stuff. Frankly I still don't understand it. T^T but I think your preference of having male for feminine ones is interesting. I've never known anyone do that before.

~~~~~~~~~~

I'm glad for people who answered. :) I really thought I was just ocd for doing this thing. Haha.

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2018
    I do this for certain Pokemon as well. For me, I specifically wanted female versions of Braixen, Gardevoir and Lopunny as I perceive them as having a feminine appearance.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    As a little kid who played gen 2 games on gameboy color, i had the feeling that male pokemon have better atk stats, while female pokemon have better def. I have no idea if its true, but since then I always preffer my pokemon to be male.

pkmin3033

I'm only picky if I'm going with a nicknaming theme. When I did my Xenoblade theme in HG, for example, I persevered for a female Scyther for my Fiora. My Cyndaquil had to be male so I could name it Reyn. And so on. Usually I don't much care about gender, as it doesn't really affect anything.

Adrasteia

[font=Comic Sans][/font]
    Years
  • In general I prefer an all female team as most Pokemon Iv battled that use 'attract' are female so it counters that risk, even if it is a rare one

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    As a little kid who played gen 2 games on gameboy color, i had the feeling that male pokemon have better atk stats, while female pokemon have better def. I have no idea if its true, but since then I always preffer my pokemon to be male.

Male Pokemon did actually have better attack stats in gen 2, as gender was determined based off of the attack DV (IV). So if a Pokemon had a 50/50 gender ratio, attack DV 0-7 = female, and 8-15 = male. For starters with a 1/8 female ratio, only attack DVs of 0 and 1 were female, while others were male. I don't think there was any gender difference for defense, though.

I also got into the habit of using male Pokemon in gen II because I thought their attack stats were better (didn't know the mechanics of it till later on, but I read that they had better attack stats back when I first played through), and I've tended to use more male Pokemon than female Pokemon as a result ever since, even though gender doesn't affect IVs anymore. I also prefer blue symbols to pink symbols, so that influences my preference, though I don't care as much about it as I used to.

Anime Sucks

Usually if it has a gender specific name I'll prefer to catch that gender - I'd rather have a male Mr. Mime or Sawsbuck for example - if I can't think of a nickname.

Electricbluewolf

Bᴇ pıɟɟǝɹǝuʇ
    Years
  • I don't really pay attention to the gender most of the time, as if I'm using them for breeding I'll just pair with 6IV Ditto. However if it's seen as a gender specific pokemon then I'll try to go for that

Back