• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's pinned on your taskbar?

Years
  • Since Windows 7, the ability to pin programs and folders to your taskbar has been a thing. It allows for easy access to programs, and it's kinda a replacement to desktop icons, if you ask me.

So, what's pinned on your taskbar? Or if you own a Macintosh computer, what's pinned in your dock?

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2018
    Firefox, OneNote, Pushbullet - in that order.
    These are the only things I actually use everyday, and so they're the only thing that I need shortcuts for.

Useful little trick involving the taskbar: pressing the super (Windows) key and a number key that corresponds to a pinned application's position in the takskbar will open or switch to that application. So pressing Windows + 2 opens OneNote, in my case.

Years
  • On my Mac, my dock has Finder, Launchpad, Mission Control, Safari, Calendar, Reminders, Notes, Maps, Messages, Photo Booth, iTunes, iBooks, App Store, System Preferences, TextEdit, Calculator, Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, iPhoto, Microsoft Document Connection, Skype, DualCapture, Preview, FaceTime, Google Chrome, Adobe Reader, and QuickTime Player. And the trash and downloads.

That's a long list, some of them have been there since the beginning haha.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • On my desktop (Win7), I have Dropbox folder, Chrome, Notepad, Winamp, and my Libraries folder.

On my laptop (OSX), I have Finder, Chrome, Skype, Dropbox folder, and Downloads folder.

I don't like keeping too much on the taskbar/dock because it gets too cluttered and hard to keep straight. This is about the maximum I like to have.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Windows Explorer, Chrome, and Irfanview. Those are the three programs that installed shortcuts to the taskbar without me paying much attention to that, and I'm used to them being there. It helps to keep my desktop uncluttered.

Years
  • From left to right: Control Panel, Internet Explorer, Word 2010, Opera 11, Region Census (a tool for viewing Sim City 4 regions outside of Sim City 4), Excel 2010, Outlook 2010, Raptr, MAL Updater, Sim City 4 Region and Config Creator, ImgBurn, Opera 18, Windows Media Player, JDownloader, Calculator, Chrome, Windows Explorer, Firefox, Snipping Tool, Steam, and VLC Media Player.

I know that seems like a lot, but the rabbit hole goes a bit deeper: I have 4 spreadsheets pinned under the Excel icon (budget, new budget, some abandoned tracker of my Pokemon TCG collection, and a spreadsheet I use for a game called XpertEleven), 4 folder locations pinned under the Windows Explorer icon (Documents, Desktop, Icons, Downloads, and a shortcut to one of my externals that's not currently plugged in), and 6 games/programs pinned via the Steam icon (Sim City 4 Deluxe, Game Dev Tycoon, You Need A Budget 4, Victoria, II, Cities In Motion 2, Age of Empires II: HD Edition, and Out of the Park Baseball 2015).

And that's not all. In my start menu, I also have MakeMKV, CSE HTML Validator 10, Steam (again), Civilization IV, Minecraft, Technic Launcher, CPU-Z, Solitaire, Katawa Shoujo, KeePass 2, Notepad (with 3 additional items pinned with it), and PokePedia pinned.

If you couldn't tell, I find pinning to be very useful.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'm not running Windows on my laptop at the moment. I used to have it installed, but unfortunately, I wound up deleting its partition accidentally two years back, and regardless of how much effort I had put in, I was not able to restore the system back to how it was. Have managed to execute a fresh install at one point, but that began to show bugs after some time, causing me to give up.

Due to all of those reasons, I've decided to stick myself with Linux--Ubuntu, to be precise--for now. Although it's not exactly the same as Windows, Ubuntu still does have this bar on the left side of screen, which behaves similarly to a taskbar--allowing us to pin items, launch programs from it, check notifications, and so forth.

Currently, I have Skype stuck to this bar, as well as some other things I find myself frequently using, including Chrome, Cheese (webcam program), Shutter (for screen-captures), LibreOffice Writer (MS Word alternative), and Rhythmbox (access it every now and again when I'm in the mood for some music).

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    At the moment I have:
    A link to my main folder, Powershell, LibreOffice, Gimp, Grafx2, foobar2000, Thunderbird, Chromium, Firefox, Teamspeak, Skype, Pidgin, Virtualbox, Vim, Notepad++, Texmaker, HDTune, CCleaner and Visual Studio

I also made a shortcut for my Recycle Bin, so I don't have to have it on my Desktop anymore.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Chrome, iTunes, Windows Explorer, Photoshop, PokeGen, Action Replay DSi Code Manager.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    Just Windows Explorer, Google Chrome, and Visual Studio.
    I don't even know why I have those, though. I have no real need for icons to be on my desktop or pinned to the taskbar.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    On my desktop: Chrome, Lunascape, Firefox, Steam.

On my laptop: Firefox, Lunascape, Steam.

Both have Win7, but my laptop sucks in terms of memory so I can't really run Chrome on it. I only have that on my desktop for its translating powers and for the additional features on Enhanced Steam, anyway, so it doesn't see much use. Honestly, even Firefox is slow on my lappy - they're both pretty resource-hoggy when you have poo hardware - so I usually just stick with Lunascape on both.

I didn't put anything school- or entertainment-related up there, just browsers, because I have my taskbar at the top to make browsing between multiple tabs and browsers easier. :P
    All of my homework and whatnot is in a Vark (rainmeter) bar, with text shortcuts, at the bottom of my desktop. I hate digging too deep to find anything important, and really, just clicking the Start Menu is too much work for me.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Usually keep it universal around all computers/laptops and what not with just chrome, steam and Skype. If I put too much on I'll just accidentally end up clicking them when I don't want to and that's pretty annoying.

Years
  • Right now I've got Windows Explorer, MS Paint, Notepad, Kega Fusion, CCleaner, μTorrent, Photoshop CS4, and Firefox pinned to my taskbar. The only two that I actively use though are Windows Explorer and Firefox, but I use the other just enough that I can't be bothered to get rid of them.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I have pinned Windows Explorer, Firefox, Winamp, Notepad, SRWare Iron, PotPlayer, and several miscellaneous stuffs like Disk Cleanup.

welsknight

That Youtuber Guy
    Years
  • From left to right.

On my Windows 7 Desktop:
    Windows Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Skype.

On my Windows 8 Laptop:
    Windows Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Calculator, Wordpad, MS Word, Paint.NET, Sony Movie Studio 13

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    If I put too much on I'll just accidentally end up clicking them when I don't want to and that's pretty annoying.

I actually never pinned anything to it until I got 7+ Taskbar Tweaker for just that reason.

Now that they need to be double-clicked to open like any other normal shortcut, I'm much, much happier pinning things, haha.

Back