• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The result of my boredom

Years
  • Greeting, women and dudes. You can call me Miracle. I am here in response of something I would like you guys to think about, so let's get started.

Have you ever wondered where envy comes from? The sources can vary, but there is one in specific I want to address. Please keep in mind that this is somewhat opinionated. Feel free to speak for yourself if I misinterpret how you may relate.

I don't know how much you watch/read the news or experience things first hand, but there's a lot going on in the world, the most primary of which being our immediate or near-immediate circumstances. With all these exciting things going on in the world, we typically have the urge to find our place in it. We have this aspiring feeling in our hearts to make our mark.

What do you guys do to achieve that status? For some, it's working out at the gym. For others, it's being a mechanic. The truth is, there are countless possibilities.

Imagine you were to be a professional chef. You love this job, it's what you wanted to be your whole life. You work up your business for a year or so and others love your food, but wait! What's this? A brand new restaurant branching from a famous franchise steps in town and takes 2/3rds of your customers along with it! With profits down, so you decide that the only way to get better business is to move it to a new location with less restaurants. You do so, but only months after, a new restaurant comes in again and does the same to you as last time. Obviously, you know what to expect from there; if you move again, it won't be that long before someone new comes and cramps your style.

We can't hate people for what they do, but how can you fit in when there are so many out there? This doesn't just apply to restaurants. Anything you do can be contended with. Are you truly irreplaceable when what you're best at can and probably always will be surpassed by someone or something else? Some would answer "no" to this, thus comes forth envy and hatred in the depths of their heart.

Despite the dark and personal aura this thread gives off, there is an important disclaimer I would like to point out: I am in no way suffering from a feeling of under-appreciation. As the title states, I was simply bored and wanted to know what you guys would say under the assumption I was (even though I don't expect it to happen). Long story short, I suppose this is a game or test to see what you can do to cheer others up. Have fun, and good luck!

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • Greeting, women and dudes. You can call me Miracle. I am here in response of something I would like you guys to think about, so let's get started.

Have you ever wondered where envy comes from? The sources can vary, but there is one in specific I want to address. Please keep in mind that this is somewhat opinionated. Feel free to speak for yourself if I misinterpret how you may relate.

I don't know how much you watch/read the news or experience things first hand, but there's a lot going on in the world, the most primary of which being our immediate or near-immediate circumstances. With all these exciting things going on in the world, we typically have the urge to find our place in it. We have this aspiring feeling in our hearts to make our mark.

What do you guys do to achieve that status? For some, it's working out at the gym. For others, it's being a mechanic. The truth is, there are countless possibilities.

Imagine you were to be a professional chef. You love this job, it's what you wanted to be your whole life. You work up your business for a year or so and others love your food, but wait! What's this? A brand new restaurant branching from a famous franchise steps in town and takes 2/3rds of your customers along with it! With profits down, so you decide that the only way to get better business is to move it to a new location with less restaurants. You do so, but only months after, a new restaurant comes in again and does the same to you as last time. Obviously, you know what to expect from there; if you move again, it won't be that long before someone new comes and cramps your style.

We can't hate people for what they do, but how can you fit in when there are so many out there? This doesn't just apply to restaurants. Anything you do can be contended with. Are you truly irreplaceable when what you're best at can and probably always will be surpassed by someone or something else? Some would answer "no" to this, thus comes forth envy and hatred in the depths of their heart.

Despite the dark and personal aura this thread gives off, there is an important disclaimer I would like to point out: I am in no way suffering from a feeling of under-appreciation. As the title states, I was simply bored and wanted to know what you guys would say under the assumption I was (even though I don't expect it to happen). Long story short, I suppose this is a game or test to see what you can do to cheer others up. Have fun, and good luck!

Someone will always be better at something than you are, even if you are very good at it. You just have to work harder to get better. Envy could either ruin someone, or empower them to make them better.

Years
  • People are to a degree fungible. Our labour and even our personalities are to a great extent replaceable. But I don't see how that would affect "fitting in" at all. I mean, to a great degree fitting in is about being "replaceable" in that you have shared interests and abilities with other people.

Otherwise, life will give you lemons at times, and you'll just have to make lemonade. I don't think there's a deeper truth to that - it's just a fact of life that it's hard at times. I think a big part of coping with this is to begin by accepting that there are people who are better than you at whatever it is you do, and that it's possible for them to interfere with you.

I'm not sure if I'm getting the point of your post.

Years
  • I watched a documentary series about the seven deadly sins awhile ago, envy among them. It explored the evolutionary foundations of each of the sins in humans and animals.

For memory, envy is something that comes about to push us towards evolutionary success. You want what others have, so you work to obtain it. In the evolutionary sense, this primarily meant powers, food and mates but as we've evolved it's extended to things like money and possessions. The end result though is still the desire to be as appealing to others as your "competition" which is evolutionarily routed in the need to procreate to continue your gene line.

Years
  • I watched a documentary series about the seven deadly sins awhile ago, envy among them. It explored the evolutionary foundations of each of the sins in humans and animals.

For memory, envy is something that comes about to push us towards evolutionary success. You want what others have, so you work to obtain it. In the evolutionary sense, this primarily meant powers, food and mates but as we've evolved it's extended to things like money and possessions. The end result though is still the desire to be as appealing to others as your "competition" which is evolutionarily routed in the need to procreate to continue your gene line.

Well I'm no evolutionist or pseudo scientist, but thanks for sharing!

Back