• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do games ever suck you in

Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2016
    When I play games even ones I have beat I somehow just get sucked into the game. Meaning I pretty much become the character and treat it like real life. So instead of running into a gun fight and dying and dying but knowing I have many chances I just take a strategic approach and try to do it in one go. I also end up getting too connected to characters feeling like were all on a real journey or mission. Like I get told to meet someone in a game I will not waste time but meet them ASAP I know I am likely the only one but hope a few at least know how I feel.

Nothing Is Real

It's all in the mind you know!
    Years
  • I find it just as easy to get sucked into video gaming as I do listening to music or watching TV. It's truly an addictive art form.

pkmin3033

Only good games suck me in these days; it takes something exceptional to get me playing for longer than an hour at a time, or completely lose track of time. I equate that more to my changing play style than a drop in quality; I've played plenty of good games over the last few years, I'm just very conscious of the time and have other things I'd like to be doing, so I don't allow myself to get sucked in.

...unless I have compelling reason. Like another story cutscene, or a very specific goal I want to meet, damn how long it takes me. A couple of visual novels have pulled me in, but books have always been able to draw me in, and a good visual novel is much the same as a good book to me, so that's understandable. Or so I tell myself.

But I need Xenoblade levels of quality to suck me in these days, and that kind of thing is quite rare. Or I need a very active group of friends who insist on raids and Skype voice chats whilst said raid is conducted. Thankfully, that's behind me...for now.

Years
  • I don't usually get sucked into games, but I still hate to kill innocent characters in games. And it's always sad when someone you like dies. Also I think most people take strategic approach instead of just rushing in, so that's what I usually do, too.
    Space Station 13 is one of these games that feel real. That's probably because every character is another player there. I was really cruel to my targets and security though. I even burned a detective alive once. I left a body of my target in the incinerator as bait, and when the detective stepped inside to check the body, I just turned the incinerator on and walked away. My character probably could hear his screams in nightmares for the rest of his life.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Well I'm dating a gamer boyfriend, so yes...I get sucked in to video games a lot. He was the one that got me into Splatoon after all! He also got me into Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead again thanks to the many servers I've favorited. xD

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • PAYDAY 2 was my jam up until a few months ago. I really enjoy how crisp the game is and buying new stuff. Recently I have had to fight through the urge to play as I boycott the added microtransactions. Dirty money-hungry Overpay Studios.

Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2016
    I recently played Until Dawn. It's totally not the kind of game I normally play but I gave it a shot. I'm glad I did. I played through the entire thing in one sitting. A little over 7 hours straight. I couldn't stop. And since I was so sucked in I didn't even realize it had been that long. Really fun time.

TY

I sold my life to Destiny and my soul to it's RNG system, before it was owned by basically almost any RTS game in existence...

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    Speaking of being sucked in, I believe that during my WoW days (2005 - 2008) I had more than a year of PLAYED time.

And similar for WAR, they virtually had to shut the game down in December 2013 to make me stop :)

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Ahhh immersion and suspension of disbelief combined. If this is what the OP user is referring to then the whole "sucking in" factor is pretty relevant when one is playing something as violent or as intense as Brutal Doom, a violent version of Doom. Sometimes, you just have to feel like you are the Doomguy and your mission is to kill all those demons by ripping their crotches out and teabagging them with their dismembered appendages. At least that's how i enjoy my experience whenever I'm playing Brutal Doom.

Also regarding the more competitive aspect of games, I remember reading about a piece about people being able to competently play a character very well because they simply like and relate well to the character. Say in Guilty Gear, i really relate to Sol Badguy, but people will tell me that if I want to be so pro in Guilty Gear (XrD) I have to use Eddie (like in all versions of Guilty Gear XX and even up to this day in XrD) or Elphett, but i tell them, screw that. In something like League of Legends, i like playing the champs Xin Zhao (hence my username here), Jax, and Jarvan IV because not only I play their skillkits very well, I also like playing as these champs since i "relate" very well to them. I can easily play carry games in solo queue far better with these champs compared to say having to play something like Elise, Gragas, Reksai, and some other top tier jungler.

I think i truly got what the OP poster is trying to ask of us.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Absolutely. One of the best things of games is how stimulating and interactive they are. If I like a game, chances are playing it is all I want to do. I tend to get engrossed in Pokemon games that I play (if I actually power through the sequence up til the first badge or so), and also Team Fortress 2 was a big part of my life from 2013-2015. There was a particular stretch in the summer of '15 where I had clocked in at 84 hours of game time over 2 wks. I was unemployed and a little depressed and TF2 was kind of my escape from reality, haha.

That Lonely Girl on a Laptop

The Paradise Hunter
    Years
  • I tend to get stuck into games, one of them is PAYDAY 2 which I could probably play for like 5 hours straight without realising it.
    But I think the one game I got lost in more than any other is Red Dead Redemption. I got so invested in it and since I got the game when I was 15 (after I had spinal surgery and was off school for 11 weeks) I played it for days on end, completed it, then started it all over again.

Tewi

Хорошо
    Years
  • It depends on the game really, in RPG's like Pokemon or SRPG's like Fire Emblem, i get immersed, acting like if it's always the first time, wanting to do everything in one go, feeling to be the protagonist. It's great. In other kinds of games i feel like i'm helping the others but can't get "sucked in" as much like with RPG's

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2020
    RPG's and MMO's. They are the bane of my existence. I completely lose it and I recently got myself out of the clutches of FFXIV, only to fall in love with Tree of Savior. SENDHALP.

Back