• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Your Preferred Order In Beating Kanto Gyms

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    So I was doing a Solo Run of Pokemon Silver, and decided to do a different order in beating the Kanto Gyms. Some or most players usually start by beating Lt. Surge in Vermillion City, but for me I decided to beat Brock at the Pewter City gym first (which of course I have to do some actions like getting the Generator Machine Part) and then move on to what is the order we all knew in Gen 1. (Pewter -> Cerulean -> Vermillion etc.)

What is your preferred order? Do you start off by beating Lt. Surge and then Sabrina and so on? Or just want to start by beating Brock, then Misty like what we did in Gen 1? Or a completely different one?

Hiro Aku

Grand Cyndaquil Trainer
    Years
  • I did the same thing as I was younger. I took down Surge, then whoever was available next.

However, when I realized you can easily get the machine part, so I started by entering Pallet Town when accessible, then going up like the RBY gameplay. Brock>Misty>Surge>Erika>Jasmine>Sabrina>Blaine>Blue. That was my preferred order.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    It's been so long since I played GSC that I honestly don't remember the exact order I beat the gym leaders in, but I know that I always started with Lt. Surge. I like your method of going in the traditional order though, by starting with Brock, then Misty, etc.

Raburesu

Technology is incredible!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    I second Hikari; that's a good idea you have there, GiovanniViridian. I'll have to remember to do that the next time I play GSC, or maybe even when I get to Kanto in Soul Silver... Hmm... :)

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • The StormSilver hack of SS forces you to go in Gen 1 order.

I usually pick around my team. If my team is noticeably weak to Electric (it usually is), I'll start with someone else.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • My most recent Johto Game (Heart Gold) Kanto Gyms was:

Misty, Surge, Janine, Brock, Erika, Blaine, Sabrina and Blue.

Sabrina is my favourite Kanto Leader so I left her as late as the game would let me. (Blue refuses to battle you unless you have all the other Kanto Badges)

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    If I remember correctly, I usually did it Surge - Sabrina - Misty - Erica - Jasmine - Brock - Blaine - Blue. I would sometimes Switch around Sabrina/Misty/Erica/Jasmine but pretty much always start with Surge and end with the West Kanto gym leaders.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I usually always battled Surge first since it's already available. After that I usually battled them in a random order. Though I will definitely try doing it in the traditional order when I do decide to do play through again.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2016
    I usually tried to simulate the order they're encountered in RBY; regardless of how much legwork had to be done to do that. Brock first, then Misty, then Lt. Surge and so on. Every time I come back to this forum I'm made nostalgic about Pokemon (of course) and want to play again...

Years
  • Generally speaking, you might occasionally skip Surge or Blaine to take on the others, and then have to return there, but originally I believe I had got past Surge first, and then taken on the rest in something like the reverse of the conventional order. Perhaps better might be something along the lines of:

Sabrina -> Janine -> Misty -> Brock -> Lt. Surge -> Erika -> Blaine -> Blue (or whenever.)

In order to prepare your team, which is set and ready to work as a whole to take out the various gyms, for doing the same with Red, instead of getting bogged down with random Pokémon. Of course, in a sense Red is a bit of a straightforward battle, which is effectively just a conglomerate of random conventions, but nonetheless it's best to keep things going clearly rather than otherwise. In any case, though, it wasn't a problem, really. You sort of figure that it might also be worth considering the places in terms of their type, etc., rather than just arbitrarily as places, but players would generally do so when thrown into a fairly 'sand-box' type area with gyms and cities. Nonetheless, you sort of wonder if the caves and paths of the area don't mostly serve to claim that the player shouldn't be navigating the place, which however is a situation where you might not want to bother following this expectation and ignore the gyms and obvious stuff for a second, as they are perhaps not the point.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • As soon as I reached Vermilion City, I took down Surge. I never thought of going back to the original games' order. Lt. Surge was conveniently the first Kanto Gym Leader readily available for a battle, so I took him out first. If liked the freedom HGSS gave you though. It felt like you were on a legitimate Pokemon journey; taking on Gyms in the order in which you prefer, not just some set order established by the original games and anime.

Back