• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mega Sharpedo team help :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2016
    Talonflame (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Gale Wings
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Brave Bird
    - Flare Blitz
    - U-turn
    - Steel Wing

Sharpedo (M) @ Sharpedonite
    Trait: Speed Boost
    EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spd
    - Waterfall
    - Poison Jab
    - Crunch
    - Aqua Jet

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - U-turn
    - Wish
    - Iron Head
    - Protect

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Pain Split
    - Will-O-Wisp

Gengar (F) @ Choice Specs
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Trick
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Sludge Wave

Garchomp (M) @ Rocky Helmet
    Trait: Rough Skin
    EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 SDef
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Dragon Tail
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast

That's it. Mega Sharpedo is my late game sweeper. Talonflame is vital because he revenge kills so many annoying things that wall Sharpedo like Keldeo and Chesnaught. Garchomp is also good for SR and he is useful. Gengar, I like him cause he is super powerful and he can open big holes on the opponent's team to make it easier for sharpedo. Also he kills fairies. Rotom is good too cuz mainly I needed a slow volt switch to pivot into my talon or sharpedo safely. Jirachi is okay but I think it doesn't help that much. So, basically I want to change Jirachy. Any feedback?

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • sorry this will be a truncated rate but my biggest piece of advice is to make talonflame a swords dance set with roost and sd over steel wing and uturn. you'll want jolly 168 speed to beat raikou and scarf magnezone. this gives your talon more longevity in longer games and lets you leverage its natural advantage over some checks to sharpedo like clefable, keldeo, etc. also, it gives you a secondary wincon as sharpedo is a one-time-only sweeper and putting too many eggs into that basket will make your team too inconsistent.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Sharpedo needs Protect to ensure it gets a Speed boost in its base form before Mega Evolving. It doesn't need all this bulk investment, as it's frail regardless. The spread of Naughty with 224 Atk/32 SAtk/252 Spe allows Mega Sharpedo to 2HKO Skarmory with Hydro Pump after Stealth Rock. Remember that it's generally a one-shot Pokemon, meaning if it's forced to switch out after gaining a Speed boost and Mega Evolving, that's it.

Gengar doesn't really need Specs, IMO, since it needs the freedom to switch between its moves. Instead of TrickSpecs, Taunt, Destiny Bond, and Icy Wind are better options to prevent walls from setting up, trying to take an attacker down with you, and slowing down a faster switch-in, respectively.

A Relaxed nature makes TankChomp waste away its decent Speed for a wall. Fire Blast already hits Garchomp's Fire-weak targets hard enough even with an Impish nature. 252 HP/164 Def/76 SDef/16 Spe allows TankChomp to outspeed Adamant Bisharp/Breloom.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2016
    But Sharpedo can take a Scizor Bullet Punch better with the HP evs as well as some other priority or resisted hits.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • But Sharpedo can take a Scizor Bullet Punch better with the HP evs as well as some other priority or resisted hits.

Doesn't matter. Mega Sharpedo needs max Speed Naughty to outspeed as much things as possible with +1 Speed. Seriously, what did your EV spread even accomplish in the first place? What can it outspeed pre- and post- Speed Boost with that spread? What specific attacks can it take with that spread? If your EV spread doesn't do any of those things, you're better off using the mixed spread I showed. And these calcs show that Mega Sharpedo can take a few resisted hits without bulk investment if it's healthy, despite its frailty. Remember that Mega Sharpedo gets a slight defensive increase upon Mega Evolving (so it doesn't roll over and die to virtually every decently powered hit), but it's still frail anyway.

252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Sharpedo: 80-95 (28.4 - 33.8%) -- 0.5% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Sharpedo: 80-94 (28.4 - 33.4%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    The Wish-passing that Jirachi can do is useful, but if you're looking for an alternative to it, bulky Excadrill could fit. As your team is now it lacks a form of hazard removal, which while I suppose it's not necessary on every single team in the universe, it's still nice to have since several of your 'mons, especially Talonflame, don't like taking hazards/Stealth Rock damage too much. Excadrill spins while still having decent bulk and can be a Fairy check, which is important to have.
    Spoiler:

Years
  • Talonflame (M) @ Choice Band
    - Brave Bird
    - Flare Blitz
    - U-turn
    - Steel Wing

- Waterfall
    - Poison Jab
    - Crunch
    - Aqua Jet

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    - U-turn
    - Wish
    - Iron Head
    - Protect

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Pain Split
    - Will-O-Wisp

- Trick
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Sludge Wave

- Stealth Rock
    - Dragon Tail
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast

That's it. Mega Sharpedo is my late game sweeper. Talonflame is vital because he revenge kills so many annoying things that wall Sharpedo like Keldeo and Chesnaught. Garchomp is also good for SR and he is useful. Gengar, I like him cause he is super powerful and he can open big holes on the opponent's team to make it easier for sharpedo. Also he kills fairies. Rotom is good too cuz mainly I needed a slow volt switch to pivot into my talon or sharpedo safely. Jirachi is okay but I think it doesn't help that much. So, basically I want to change Jirachy. Any feedback?
    Wouldn't poison fang be better because it gets the Strong Jaw boost?

averyindahouse

Creator of Pokemon Sigma (Coming Soon)
    Years
  • Talonflame (M) @ Choice Band
    - Brave Bird
    - Flare Blitz
    - U-turn
    - Steel Wing

- Waterfall
    - Poison Jab
    - Crunch
    - Aqua Jet

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    - U-turn
    - Wish
    - Iron Head
    - Protect

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Pain Split
    - Will-O-Wisp

- Trick
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Sludge Wave

- Stealth Rock
    - Dragon Tail
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast

I'd swap out Fire Blast on Garchomp for Protect, as a Scarf Ice Beam is most likely a OHKO for Garchomp. Or at least a Focus Sash so Garchomp can tank a hit and perhaps be able to have two turns.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'd swap out Fire Blast on Garchomp for Protect, as a Scarf Ice Beam is most likely a OHKO for Garchomp. Or at least a Focus Sash so Garchomp can tank a hit and perhaps be able to have two turns.

Bulky Garchomp is a thing because it has the bulk to check/counter physical attackers that rely on contact moves. Protect doesn't seem to do anything for bulky Garchomp, really, given that it normally doesn't run Leftovers. Fire Blast allows Garchomp to hit Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Scizor. The only viable alternative option over Fire Blast (or Earthquake) is Toxic, which allows bulky Garchomp to cripple walls. Focus Sash is better off on offensive Stealth Rock Garchomp.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2016
    Okay guys. So I followed PlatinumDude's advice for Sharpedo. Although, I am gonna try Poison Fang indeed cause I like the 50% poisoning chance. Anyway, made my Talonflame fully offensive with SD and I left TrickSpecs on Gengar cause I like the way he can cripple supportive Pokemon and it's quite uncommon nowadays so it's unpredictable. However, my team still misses something I don't know what but I keep losing more than I win. Anyway, If you would like to suggest some bigger changes go for it. Just don't switch Sharpedo cause he is the star of the team.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Okay guys. So I followed PlatinumDude's advice for Sharpedo. Although, I am gonna try Poison Fang indeed cause I like the 50% poisoning chance. Anyway, made my Talonflame fully offensive with SD and I left TrickSpecs on Gengar cause I like the way he can cripple supportive Pokemon and it's quite uncommon nowadays so it's unpredictable. However, my team still misses something I don't know what but I keep losing more than I win. Anyway, If you would like to suggest some bigger changes go for it. Just don't switch Sharpedo cause he is the star of the team.
    Some of it could just be in-battle execution; you can have the "best" team in the world but still lose because of poor plays and stuff. We got another thread for that sort of thing right here though.

I still think you should swap Jirachi with Excadrill tho

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • by 5 power but poison fang has a 50% to badly poison

Poison Fang still isn't worth using because Sharpedo is too frail to rely on the poison chance. Sure, it's 50%, but it doesn't come up all the time. Poison Jab also has more PP. Also, there's this:

224+ Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Poison Fang vs. 252 HP / 220+ Def Sylveon: 182-216 (46.1 - 54.8%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

224+ Atk Mega Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 220+ Def Sylveon: 194-230 (49.2 - 58.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

And to quote Mega Sharpedo's Other Options section in its OU analysis on another reason why Poison Fang isn't worth using:

Poison Fang can be used instead of Poison Jab if the higher chance to inflict poison is more appealing, but it will consequently have a chance of missing out on 2HKOing Clefable and Mega Altaria.

Guaranteeing the 2HKO on cleric Sylveon with Poison Jab after Stealth Rock is better than having a minute chance of missing the KO.

TrickSpecs isn't worth using on Gengar, IMO. Gengar is rather frail, and appreciates the freedom of switching between moves, since it has excellent coverage in only 2-3 moveslots, and there are Pokemon who can do Trick + Choice items better, like Latios, which has better bulk.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2016
    I understand but still, Sharpedo isn't meant to fight Fairies. I use him late game anyway when I have already swept the fairies away or anything that can kill it before Sharpedo does. But okay, Poison Jab may still be the better choice indeed.

Back