• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Nintendo 64 Thread

pkmin3033

So, 20 years ago today, the Nintendo 64 first went on sale in Japan! That's longer than some of us have been alive! Nonetheless, the N64 was a part of many people's childhoods, and many of the games on it codified genres of gaming - titles such as Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time are still widely regarded as some of the best games ever created.

So, let's chat about the N64. Any childhood memories to share? Any favourite titles? Did you have one, or were you firmly entrenched in the PS1 camp? Or maybe Sega did for you what Nintendidn't?

Sir Codin

The Nintendo 64 was the very first console in my household. I have so many fond memories of it and I refuse to sell anything about it, much to my parents' dismay.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • Never had a 64 as a kid, but two of my friends used to have, so we'd play a lot of Stadium and Mario Party. Even borrowed it from him one time and played lots of Snap and Stadium, but then never touched one after returning it. Until a year or so ago when I finally bought one for myself. Mostly for Pokemon Stadium and being able to trade between RBY. It was shocking to see how mediocre Stadium actually is. That game was the shit back in the day, but you can see it aged badly just like Gen 1.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I still have my old N64, actually! It's still at my parent's house and I hope my mom hasn't thrown it away along with the other stuff I said I didn't want. I told her that thing is still in good condition.

First game I got was Super Mario 64, and I remember playing it for hours on end. I still haven't been able to unlock every single star in that game though, and I'd like to someday.

Years
  • I wish I still had mine. I loved Starfox and Mario for this system, and GoldenEye and Mario Kart were crazy when I played with all the other kids in the neighborhood. Everything I played on this was good, at least that's how I remember it.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • some of my favorite games that I've played:

Super Mario 64
    The Nintendo 64 Thread

I've played Super Mario 64 with my step-sis all the time. I used to love playing the sub-levels; as in, the levels that you can play while you're in the castle basement! Except for that creepy one with all the Boos; used to haaate going to the library, and that damn piano who wants to bite you, ugh. Actually, I used to struggle a lot with this game, since I kept falling off, and some levels were like, 'where do you go?' Ultimately, it took me a couple of tries to beat Bowser at the end, because I, er, kept falling off, but, it's a wonderful experience, beating it at last! Sooo much satisfaction!

Donkey Kong 64
    The Nintendo 64 Thread

It has one of the BEST video game openings of all time, imo. That rap is so amazing, aaah, I had an eargasum when it played on Super Smash Bros. Melee! This game was a lot of fun, since you can play as a variety of characters! Loved playing as Diddy and Tiny Kong! Though again, it was one of those games that took me a long while to beat, since I didn't know where to go and stuff, but, once I got older, it became really easy. X3 Gah, I hate those hornets though. I always did in the DK series.

Kirby 64
    The Nintendo 64 Thread

I looove this game, but trying the other Kirby games, I was kinda sad on how they didn't really utilize Kirby's abilities properly. But it was still damn fun, and it has such of an amazing boss music! I used to get stuck on that Robot Boss and that Final Boss, though. They were tough, but, eventually we got em'! I used to love using the combined Rock + Cutter ability, because of those rock animaaaals, and the Fire + Cutter ability. Hooray for Flame Swords!

Starfox 64
    The Nintendo 64 Thread

This game is REALLY addicting. I used to play this over, and over to try and get all of the metals in all of the planets, to try and beat my hi-scores in them! I even remember my favourite planets that I go to: Cornelia, Fortuna, X-Zone, Aquas, Zoness, MacBeth, Area 9, and Venom (return of Star Wolf). Area 9 is always tough, but satisfying because of EXPLOSIONS! MacBeth is also really amazing, because the landmaster was really destructive, and I always loooove blowing up that train, hehe. 50 POINTS!

The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time
    The Nintendo 64 Thread

Ah, and of course, who doesn't love playing this game? I love the storyline, love the bosses, and I love the overall gore. Well, I'm a sucker for small gore, but, in Zelda, it seemed to fit really well! Although I really haaate fighting those Like-Likes and finding out from Navi that there is a lnearby w/ those shadows, ugh. But I relished the challenge! My favourite dungeons to play were the Shadow temple, the Spirit Temple, and the Fire Temple, eee.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Still remember getting an N64 for Christmas back in '98; came with two controllers and Diddy Kong Racing. {:3} I still have my console and was just replaying Majora's Mask on it a few weeks ago. Besides the mentioned titles, I had good memories with Mario Kart 64, SSB, GoldenEye, Star Fox 64, Pokemon Stadium, Rayman 2 and WWF No Mercy (lol). Over the last few years I've bought a few games for it as well. Picked up Harvest Moon 64, which I loved, Paper Mario and Ogre Battle 64.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • N64 is so awesome.

We still use it! I still search fr games to buy and try/play again. I did Banjo Tooie so many times hehe. I would love to have Concker's...

We still play Banjo, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong Racing, Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2, Mario64... We don'T play Mario Party really because this game is so hard on the controllers! o.O

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
  • I didn't have an N64 as a kid, but thats because I didn't need to. The kid next door had an N64 and a PS1 (later PS2) and the kid across the street eventually got a Dreamcast. I was content with having a Genesis until 2003 or so.

So many great N64 games. Rampage: World Tour, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Party, Mario Kart, Banjo Kazooie, the list goes on. I remember us spending quite a bit of time with the Pokemon Stadium games, but actually playing the mini games way more than the actual battle modes. The Star Wars pod racer game was also good fun, though I was never very good at it.

Surprisingly, I didn't get an N64 until years later, around 2012, when I found one with the Pokemon Stadium games at a garage sale for $20. Its still a great system, though objectively speaking, didn't have as good a library as the PS1 (or Japanese Saturn, for those who were lucky enough to get that). However, it is still a system that I have a lot of fond memories with.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • N64.. the console i never had, but it had the games that I wanted.

Perfect Dark, Turok, Goldeneye (duh), and of course... motherf**kin Doom 64.
    The Nintendo 64 Thread

I've said it before.. while the PSX had an abundance of RPGs and anything with Full motion video, the N64 had so many console based first person shooters, along with the highly overlooked Doom 64, which people might have mistaken as just another Doom port for the said console. then completely missing out that it was infact an actual game.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • The N64 is my first video game system ever. I have so many memories playing it with games like Super Mario 64, Star Fox 64, Banjo-Kazooie, and Super Smash Brothers.

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2018
    We didn't get one until the end of its life. Has a lot of fun racing titles like Rush 2049, F-Zero X, 1080 Snowboarding, and the various kart racers besides the platformers like Mario, the Banjos, and DK.

I'm actually an N64 hacker ;*) Got into it since my siblings reeeally like games and we couldn't get a newer console. Gotta extend its life somehow!

Among my favorites are Tetrisphere, Densha de Go!, the Mario Artist series, and Majora's Mask.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    N64 was also my first console. So many great games like Bomberman 64, the first two Mario Party games, and of course, Waialae Country Club: True Golf Classics. I would play that game every Christmas Eve right up through owning the 360. Tried it again recently, and have no idea why I enjoyed it so much, as I suck at it.

Years
  • Heh, I got my N64 the very same christmas I got my PS1. This wasn't too long after I'd heard my parents say something like "we're never getting you kids [this system]" (which I think was the N64 they said they were never getting), which was a bummer until I realized the reason they said that was because my grandfather was the one who was buying it for us. :P

But yeah, I remember the N64 being a system I so very much wanted, I saw it in Nintendo Power and thought it was cool, all that stuff. I know one of the first games I had for it was Mario Kart 64, don't remember if we were given anything else for it at the time.

(And then next christmas, it was Ocarina of Time we were given, heh. I think by then I'd already played part of it on a rental cartridge, at least up until the water temple and then I had to quit because I couldn't figure it out in time before the rental had to go back. >< )

Fun times.

And something else related to the N64, while I didn't think to bring the system with me when I moved years back, which means me actually finding this makes it a moot point now - there had been a game I'd managed to snag as a rental years ago, but never ever saw it on sale anywhere near me: Mischief Makers, which I thought was a relatively fun platformer when I first played it. Imagine my glee when I went into a used video game store that had just opened near my parents' place at the time, and one of the things I somehow found in there was a copy of that exact game. Oh yeah, that got snatched up fast, since that's one of the games I had always wanted my own copy of, and now I finally found it.

(They also had a copy of Star Fox 64. Since I didn't have a wii at the time to enjoy the virtual console release, and that game was also a beloved one from my childhood, that got picked up as well.)

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2017
    I still have my Nintendo 64 and it still works X3

Although I lost most of the games for the console, I still have Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and a couple others.

Cersei Lannister

Mad Queen
    Years
  • I really enjoyed Goldeneye, but that game did not age well at all. I don't have any idea how I managed to play that and be good at it lol.

And since we're in a N64 thread, I think we should all watch this youtube video:

Back