• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would you change anything about Pokemon?

ChikoritaCheezits

The Green Leaf triumphs over all
Years
  • Well, I would make the games be able to hold more than one save file. I hate how if I want to start a new file, I have to delete the old one that I might not want to delete.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I wonder how many new fans the anime attracts to the franchise and then on top of that what is the percentage of fans who then stay with the franchise and keep buying into it. If it wasn't anything that substantial I think I would just end the anime. Instead I'd have well made movies take over that slot. Maybe small mini series here and there, but I'd probably toss the regular anime characters and bring new trainers in. If the anime proved to be a major component that drew buyers in then I'd like to hire new writers. Ultimately I'd like to see an anime that follows a story line and isn't basically a restart with every episode.

I'd leave the tcg untouched for now as I know little about it.

I'd like to see the games get a makeover. New people to write the story lines and add on other people to make the games so we can see fresh ideas.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    i would focus less on plowing out games, and instead maybe wait a year or two before each new release, so then the gens last longer, and the game is more refined. i would add in more advanced mechanics, take away all the contest stuff nobody likes, make fly work like the Eon flute, provide a way to go back and forth from other regions from other games, add ranking board for competitive, improve the plot (seriously, why not), and make the game play more dynamic to suit the player.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2015
    Oh yeah.

1. I'd make games a little more mature, as well as a more mature anime.
    2. Villain teams would be tougher and less silly in both games and anime.
    3. In games the player would be capable of dying.
    4. There would multiple endings to games.
    5. As I told the story of each region in an anime the stars would go:
    Kanto: Red
    Johto: Kris
    Hoenn: Brendan
    Sinnoh: Dawn
    Unova: Hilbert, Rosa
    Kalos: Calem
    and would continue the pattern of guy, girl, so that both genders get equal limelight. Oh, and they'd all age, too.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2015
    1.The Shinx Luxio Luxray evo line should be part dark.
    2.Make the anime less....dumb. Basically not have Ash being an idiot at all times.
    3.While I hate Pikachu, its a pretty good mascot. So for goodness sake. Give it better stats.
    4.Mega Dragonite.
    5.MOAR EEVEELUTIONS.
    6.Mega Ninetales (Fire/Psychic) and Mega Arcanine (Fire/Fighting). The two are so similar and seem like they should be rivals.

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
  • Not sure if it's been said before but I would remove HMs entirely from the game. They're pointless and a bother. If I have a bird/flying pokemon it should already be able to fly, etc.

I would put difficulty settings in the game. There can be a normal mode for new players to the games mainly and a slightly higher mode with more challenging AI for the rest of us that know our stuff or just want a challenge.

I only felt this recently when I was playing AS but... I wish pokemon wasn't so turned based and more real time. It would spice things up a bit and add to things being more challenging.

Indigo

The Novelist from Panju
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2019
    I could be cliche and say the anime needs to mature more, but i'd rather talk about the games.

1. Game Freak needs to take more risks like they did in BW with the story. They need to Make the players care about the story!!!
    2. OMFG Game Freak needs to stop making the games noob friendly. That was what made me love it so much as a kid! I loved the challenges it used to face me with.
    3. I would love an after game event similar to the PWT, but with all champions, gym leaders, protagonists, and rivals.

Years
  • I agree with a lot of things in this thread, but if there's one change I could make to the series (well, the games at least), it would be that we could have a branching storyline, rather than a linear one. You can only fill up the Pokedex, stop the bad guys, and win the Pokemon League championship so many times before it starts to get old. Now, I'm not saying that I want the games to change with every little decision we make, but it'd be fun to focus on being a coordinator or breeder depending on your actions, rather than always being the superhero kid that saved the region from danger, wipes through the Pokemon League with ease, runs into dozens of legendary Pokemon that no one has seen in centuries, etc.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Whilst I love Pokemon so very dearly, there are a lot of things I think it does wrong and need to be addressed. Keeping the same formula since the 90's tends to do that.

So first, I would make it so that every new Generation did a little more with the formula than just slightly and subtly tamper with it. The two versions would have a lot more differences between them, and I'd make the games focus on story heavily. I'd remove the emphasis on Legendaries as well, as they are a cheap plot device for lazy story tellers. What I would do is make each version tell a different side of the same story, rather than being magically in two different universes where an alternative legendary happens.

Also, there would be no third version. I would instead patch the current versions with any fixes or changes. (Like patching X/Y with the ORAS Megas. ><) And if I released a third version, it would be telling yet another side of the story that wasn't told before rather than enhancing a bunch of minor features. It would be worth buying.

Customization would have been introduced a long time ago as well, and it would be in ORAS.

All Pokemon would be able to follow you after battle.

Speaking of things that were awesome in HGSS, bring back the Pokewalker. Only make one and patch it for each Generation so that it could continue to be used.

Pokemon Amie would be combined with Happiness because these two features are largely redundant.

No more HMs. Instead, each Pokemon would have latent Talent slots where you could equip abilities you could use outside of battle without having to use your precious moveslots. And it would ONLY be for Pokemon it makes sense to have. For instance, Fly's function as an HM would be replaced with Ride. You wouldn't be able to Ride a Pidgey, but you could certainly Ride a Pidgeot. And Ride would also replace Rock Climb's function with certain Pokemon. You could Ride on a Rhydon, for instance. Or even replace your bike! Ride a super fast Arcanine around! It'd mostly be used for evolved Pokemon, which means you wouldn't be able to travel around in the world too quickly.

Ride would also basically function as Soar does for Latios/Latias in ORAS for Flying Pokemon.

I think everyone here can agree with the annoyance of having to relearn moves and get your Heart Scales. I'd make this convenient by making it so that each Pokemon still technically retains any moves they've learned by level up (or egg moves) up to that point, and the four moves are just Active Move Slots. You can drag any of these moves into the Active Move Slots.

Egg Moves can be taught to any Pokemon, not just those who are born with them. Perhaps moves in general could be taught through a special move-training mini-game similar to how Pokemon train to learn moves in the anime. There would be a mini-game for each move.

I would eliminate the redundant types and reduce it all to 13-types. (Example: Rock and Ground would be consolidated into one. So would Fairy and Psychic, and it would be called Astral-type. Dark and Ghost. Water and Ice.)

Held Items would work in a much more interesting way, to the point where with the right items, even a Pokemon with horrible base stats could become super useful. Basically, a Pokemon would have one-to-three item slots which would vaguely function like other JRPG armors. (Weaker Pokemon have more slots) And some items would work more like the typical Pokemon fashion, whilst others would just outright increase stats. (In percentages.) It'd allow for more strategy and interesting battles, as well as more variety.

I'd also remove several methods of evolution for the sake of consolidation and simplicity. (For instance, Leafeon would evolve via Leaf Stone rather than that stupid method of leveling up near a rock.) And I would also make more Pokemon evolve via Stone because I feel that method is vastly underutilized.

Also, I'd go back and make more drastic edits to Pokemon's stats if they couldn't keep up with the Power Creep of newer Generations. I in generally wouldn't be afraid to fix things if they became outdated. Not just by giving them Mega Evolutions either.

And I'd make Grass a MUCH more useful type. By making it strong against Dragon or Fairies or SOMETHING. Its treatment is just an injustice as one of the three main starter choices.

Repels wouldn't be necessary. You could equip a special item in one of your Pokemon's item slots that would simply make all random encounters stop.

Remake everything in 3D and allow the option to revisit older regions (or certain sections of older regions) in certain games, provided it makes sense within the story.

Also, you wouldn't just be challenging all the gyms. I would explore all of these different ways to be a Pokemon trainer.

For the anime, I would probably chose to take a Digimonesque approach: Each season covers a different interpretation of the Pokemon universe with completely different characters. Pokemon has so much potential for all sorts of universes that there is A LOT that you could do with it.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023

We would have to double the budget for the games I think, haha.

While I agree with you on most points, I don't think every one of these changes would be a good one.

I think everyone here can agree with the annoyance of having to relearn moves and get your Heart Scales. I'd make this convenient by making it so that each Pokemon still technically retains any moves they've learned by level up (or egg moves) up to that point, and the four moves are just Active Move Slots. You can drag any of these moves into the Active Move Slots.

I think this would be best done at cental places, as doing it on the road would make the game even easier as they already are. I'd say, only allow this at pokemon centres.

I would eliminate the redundant types and reduce it all to 13-types. (Example: Rock and Ground would be consolidated into one. So would Fairy and Psychic, and it would be called Astral-type. Dark and Ghost. Water and Ice.)

Problem is, this types don't really are that alike. Rock and ground seem very same-ish, but that's mostly because a lot of rock pokémon share the ground type. Rock types are mostly, well, made of rock, while ground types are ground-dwellers. While most rock pokémon could go along with the ground type, ground types really don't mix that great with rock. Rock/water Swampert? I'd think it's better to either replace rock type with ground entirely or leave them be. Fairy type and Psychic also aren't that alike. Fairy is mostly about being cute, charmin and pink, while psychic mainly focusses on the psychic ability. I could believe Clefable has some psychic abilities, but believing that Snubbell and Gardevoir would share the same type seems weird. Dark type is mainly just the playing not fair type. It's more a counterpart for the fighting type then a companion for the ghost type. While dark is mainly about stealing your opponents items, kicking him in the back and kissing his wife, ghost is more about scaring your opponent and not being corporeal. While most ghost type probably could also be dark type, mixing them together would not work that well with resistances and effectiveness. Even water and ice wouldn't mix well. Ice is mostly the cold type, not really purely ice, just as grass is plants in general and not, well, just grass. A snover or regice shouldn't share it's typing with goldeen.

Remake everything in 3D and allow the option to revisit older regions (or certain sections of older regions) in certain games, provided it makes sense within the story.

The person who figures out how to fit this all in one game will be my personal hero. It seems almost impossible without having to quadruple the level cap.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    We would have to double the budget for the games I think, haha.
    I don't think it'd be quite that intense. Some of these changes might save money, actually. (Because of the removal of certain elements in the programming.) And also, once they made the initial slew of 3D models following you around, they could just reuse them because 3D models are much easier to reuse than sprites Also, I made a typo. I meant they'd make a mini-game for each TYPE, not move. God, that would more than just double it. It's not as if they don't have the money though.

I think this would be best done at cental places, as doing it on the road would make the game even easier as they already are. I'd say, only allow this at pokemon centres.
    I think there is a difference between convenience and easy, just as there's a difference between difficulty and frustration. The games themselves are already a cake walk, already intensely easy. This wouldn't make much of a difference at all, especially since it would only apply to level-up and egg moves. And Pokemon don't really get a lot of powerhouse moves from this. You can pretty much do the same thing with TMs already.

Problem is, this types don't really are that alike. Rock and ground seem very same-ish, but that's mostly because a lot of rock pokémon share the ground type. Rock types are mostly, well, made of rock, while ground types are ground-dwellers. While most rock pokémon could go along with the ground type, ground types really don't mix that great with rock. Rock/water Swampert? I'd think it's better to either replace rock type with ground entirely or leave them be. Fairy type and Psychic also aren't that alike. Fairy is mostly about being cute, charmin and pink, while psychic mainly focusses on the psychic ability. I could believe Clefable has some psychic abilities, but believing that Snubbell and Gardevoir would share the same type seems weird. Dark type is mainly just the playing not fair type. It's more a counterpart for the fighting type then a companion for the ghost type. While dark is mainly about stealing your opponents items, kicking him in the back and kissing his wife, ghost is more about scaring your opponent and not being corporeal. While most ghost type probably could also be dark type, mixing them together would not work that well with resistances and effectiveness. Even water and ice wouldn't mix well. Ice is mostly the cold type, not really purely ice, just as grass is plants in general and not, well, just grass. A snover or regice shouldn't share it's typing with goldeen.
    Ah yes, the part of my post I expected to be objected to most. I didn't really answer the first post I made on this subject with somebody objecting to me, but I will this time as I didn't explain thoroughly enough.

My thoughts on combining the types firstly haven't quite thought out all of the resistances and weaknesses and such, so I will make that clear. I'm not very good at that sort of thing, but I imagine if I had a game team backing me up, we'd think of a good balance. These would likely have to be redone.

Rock and Ground are honestly the best candidates for this. There is virtually very little to distinguish them, and the problem would be resolved by re-naming it Earth-type. Swampert could be an Water/Earth-type. But even so, rocks come from the ground. Minerals are basically dirt. These two types are just too overly specific and I really don't understand why Pokemon didn't just make an Earth-type in the first place.

Fairy-types are extremely vaguely defined, and as you have stated, are mostly defined by being cute and pink. (And also, the moon, but many Fairy-types defy these things. Klefki is neither cute nor pink nor associated with the moon. Same with Xerneas.) This is too vague to make an entire element around. If I combined the two types, I would place emphasis on their mystical features. Both types are very mystical and based on mythological things. (Psychic powers, magical powers of fairies. Even Psychic delves into magical powers.) This is my reasoning for combining them. And then renaming it the Astral-type, which encompasses both. It's not as good a reason as Rock and Ground, and the two are less similar, but I believe it makes sense. In my combining of two types, I wouldn't merely have one absorb the other and have that one no longer exist. The traits of both types would be emphasized in one type. (Also, Snubbull and Gardevoir already share the same type. Gardevoir is now a Psychic/Fairy-type, and Snubbull is a Fairy-type.)

I've heard that about the Dark-type as well. But there are Dark-type attacks that exist to suggest it being about literal darkness. Dark Pulse and Night Daze? That isn't about foul play. It's just flat-out darkness. Shadow Ball and its ilk are all attacks composed of darkness too. Even so, it isn't much of a stretch to combine foul play with Ghosts. Ghosts are often mischievous or malicious in their descriptions. And both types can be counterparts to the Fighting-type. Fighting-types cannot hit Ghosts, and are supereffective against Dark. But as I said before, all of the resistances and weaknesses would have to be rethought and rebalanced.

Ice suffers the same problem as Rock - it's too specific and not broad enough. Whilst there is also the fact that Ice is a solidified form of Water, cold isn't really a broad enough thing to base an entire element off of. There's only so much you can do with this type, and it really shows because it has so little Pokemon in it. Combining the types would also increase the amount of Pokemon within each type. But even then, most Water Pokemon act as Ice-types anyway. They all learn Ice Beam and whatnot, making this type completely unnecessary to use regardless. Combining them would resolve that problem. Though I agree there are some Pokemon that wouldn't quite fit under the banner of Water, like Abomasnow, it still would be a change for the better.

The person who figures out how to fit this all in one game will be my personal hero. It seems almost impossible without having to quadruple the level cap.
    I didn't mean that you could revisit every single region in one game. That's a lot of peoples' dream, but I would honestly tire of a game that had all regions at once. Would be too long. I meant that in certain games, you could revisit certain regions or certain parts of them if it was necessary to do so in the story. For instance, if the game was set in Hoenn, you could pop into a certain city of Sinnoh really quick for a story section. Or maybe you go to Sinnoh entirely. But you wouldn't also go to Kalos and Unova.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Sorry, this will be a lengthy post. Many of these have been mentioned, but warrant re-mentioning.

1) HM's should absolutely be in the game, however, why is every region so cluttered that no one can travel? Is there no government managing roads and pathways? Strength should grant you access to extra and unique areas, not be a requirement.

2) HM's (again) like Rock Climb should be replaced with a branching climbing skill, first trees, then vines, then rocks. Flash should be replaced with a Flash Light the player can obtain and then upgrade. Rock Smash should be replaced with a hammer and Cut should be replaced with another tool (probably not a machete, since this is largely a kid's game). They dealt with a sandstorm in gen 3 by giving the player goggles, why did they not learn more from this?

3) HM's (once more) like Fly and Surf are absurd. We have to teach a bird to fly and a fish to swim? These field abilities should be either granted from the beginning, with blocks such as rough skies in areas and whirlpools, rapids, waterfalls, etc., or else the trainer should have to learn from another human how to ride on pokemon in these conditions.

4) I can tolerate the new 3D graphics as it is a blast to see all of the Pokemon now fully animated in battles and the world, but these motion-sickness-inducing camera angles and pannings need to be eradicated. Also, need to zoom the camera out. The world felt so small in X and Y.

5) They need to stop with these event Pokemon fiascos. Again, I am 28. It is really awkward having to go to a store and ask for code cards, and I do not like getting caught up in lies such as "It's for my kid." I also think it is unfair that I paid for the game, and if I got it late, or want to replay it, I can not get many legendaries any more. I miss Mew so much ='( I should not have to cheat or scour the internet to find ways to get Pokemon that should be in the game I paid for.

This being said, I think events are a great way to build hype. Just make it a shiny or unique move-set though, and stop ruining the game for so many people down the road.

6) For a game that is all about collecting, they have surprisingly never really added other things to collect. With the games that had secret bases, they had a few plushies you could find or purchase to decorate with. Put a plushie for every Pokemon in the game! Let us collect more and more.

7) Add in more daily/weekly events. The end game really just comes down to chain breeding, shiny hunting and battling. Give me a weekly fishing tourney and bug catching contest (and then keep it in future generations).

8) Safari Zone is a great concept, but it always felt too small to boast the word 'Safari' in the title. If you are going to bother having a Safari Zone, make sure you can't get half of the Pokemon elsewhere in the region anyways.

9) They have done different pokemon at different times of day, and they have done seasons. Why only one or the other, and why drop these ideas in future releases? I know these carts can only hold so much data, but instead of wasting 3/4 of the cart holding new graphics, why not update the game to include everything that has contributed to the series throughout its life. Stop removing features. That makes them drop from a 'New Feature' to just 'That Generations Gimmick'.

10) Why can all Pokemon fight in the water? No one really questioned this until they brought in the new 'flying-only battles'. If I am surfing on my little Squirtle, where is my Arcanine battling from?

11) I think making the TM's one-time-use once more is a good choice, providing you can actually re-obtain every TM. There still needs to be some work involved if you want to breed and level some amazing Pokemon.

12) They finally added a way for us to gauge our EV training, yet they still don't give us a number. Really? All or nothing here.

13) If you breed a lineage of Charmanders that you take exceptional care of, fully training/leveling each generation, you should be able to slowly (very slowly) improve their IVs. This would also greatly encourage trading. Who would have time to improve all six IV's of every breed of Pokemon? This isn't to say every generation should be a pure increase, but you should have the ability to strengthen your line.

14) It is beyond time we see a new Pokemon Snap, and the Wii U is perfect for it. I know this game is such an extreme topic, you either love it or hate it, but I still own my copy of Pokemon Snap, and still play it every few years. (Speaking of which, it is time again!)

15) Start a new anime for an older group. I grew up with Pokemon. I am 28 now and would love to watch Pokemon without shutting all the curtains and blinds in the whole has, turning the volume down to barely audible, and wondering where my blankie is. That being said, I still enjoy watching the show while I play the games. I love the Pokemon Universe.

I have much more, but I do not want to get banned for an absurdly long post on my first day joining the forums. Thanks for reading and sorry for the ranting!

Back