• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What's the appropriate reaction for a first shiny?

S-MAN

Banned
Years
  • Despite how much I have played, I still haven't got myself my own shiny yet on any of the gba titles. Now I am not sure how I will react to the event if it ever comes into my life. Will I feel anything or go numb? Will I jump for joy and scream HA! to people nearby? Too much uncertainty.. Tell me your opinions. I would go numb if I found out it had all 0 IVs.

Years
  • That depends. Are you a pirate and/or magpie?

In general, you might feel slightly pleased, but it is basically just an existent Pokémon with a slightly altered palette. It depends on what you want it for, for instance if you're looking to collect them, etc.

Years
  • I guess it all depends on the situation in which you come across the shiny Pokemon. Of the ones that I've come across in the third gen games, I've had a wide array of reactions- everything from wanting to punch my screen when the old man in Viridian encountered a shiny Weedle, to nearly jumping out of the chair when I came across a shiny Heracross in Sapphire's Safari Zone.

To be fair though, both of those happened about 10 years ago now. I'd definitely have a more subdued reaction if I came across a shiny now, haha.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2021
    Despite how much I have played, I still haven't got myself my own shiny yet on any of the gba titles. Now I am not sure how I will react to the event if it ever comes into my life. Will I feel anything or go numb? Will I jump for joy and scream HA! to people nearby? Too much uncertainty.. Tell me your opinions. I would go numb if I found out it had all 0 IVs.

I was in the same boat as you, not too long ago I got extremely lucky and got a shiny Charmander in FR. Its crazy exciting, dont let the 6 Gen "IVs, Nature, (ect.)" bring you down. Back in Gen 3 shinies were 10x rarer than nowadays.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • giphy.gif

The appropriate reaction.

I've only ever gotten one shiny and that was pretty much my face.

.Missingno

Viridian City Gym Leader
    Years
  • Well glad everyone here is more calm than I was when I was 7 and first ran into one and proceeded to throw my Gameboy Advance across the floor out of pure excitement....

semi

the magnificent steiner
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    I had no idea what the green Pidgey with the stars shooting out of it was when I was ten, and to this day I am quite ashamed of it. But I defenitely felt excitement, as well as a leap in my stomach.

S-MAN

Banned
    Years
  • I was in the same boat as you, not too long ago I got extremely lucky and got a shiny Charmander in FR. Its crazy exciting, dont let the 6 Gen "IVs, Nature, (ect.)" bring you down. Back in Gen 3 shinies were 10x rarer than nowadays.

And 10x rarer to keep em there!

Years
  • I remember finding and catching my first shiny. FireRed was the game.

I was training in that patch of grass, right before Cerulean City. A Spearow jumped out, and I remember staring blankly at my screen for a minute. Cuz, I'd been grinding in that patch of grass for a while now, so I was used to just KO'ing the opponent Pokemon. But these warning bells started going off in my head and I remember this mantra of "catch it catch it catch it caTCH IT CATCHITCATCHIT."

So I broke out of my stupor and REALLY looked at the screen, then went, "Holy cheezEITS IT'S A SHINY!"

The next couple minutes were spent trying to do as little damage as possible at a time because I was nearing too high a level to be training in that patch of grass. Plus trying to keep it asleep, but the thing kept waking up. Eventually I caught it and I sent a pic to all my friends. Geeked out a bit, then went on my way in game.

I was stupidly happy and excited. But, I had no need for a Spearow on my team, so I never used that Shiny.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • My heart races when it happens to me, haha. Been a while since I got a third gen shiny, unfortunately. :(

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2017
    The only third gen shiny I ever had gotten was on a ROM that I don't even have anymore because it was on my old phone so alas. :( But at least I was able to catch it; my brother was unlucky enough to find a Mightyena just for it to use roar on it (meanwhile I found Poochyena next to Petalburg so hah.)

Gotta say my sister had the best luck. Shiny Zubat in Mt. Mortar that she still owns as a Shiny Crobat now.

Swithdas

What's a forum and how do I use it again..
    Years
  • I freaked out on the inside when I found my first shiny, I stayed cool on the outside, and then I died a little when I had no Pokeballs. RIP shiny Zubat

Years
  • This was how I recall reacting when I got my shiny Duskull in Ruby:
    "This is a shiny? No way! I heard about shinies but never thought I'd get one of my own."

Flower

✿ flower keeper ✿
    Years
  • Well, when I encountered my first shiny in RSE, I was attempting to hunt for a shiny Skitty and instead I came across an adorable tan and orange Zigzagoon. I screamed and scared the whole house—this was four years ago now. x'D Still have that same Zigzagoon, Ziggy, to this day. Although it's a level 88 (iirc) Linoone haha.

I would expect and find appropriate an overwhelming sense of excitement, kinda similar to how I reacted catching my first shiny. ; v;

Lapis

✿ Flower Child ✿
    Years
  • I never seen a shiny during my playthroughs of third generation games. I didn't start getting lucky until Pokemon Black/White and my reaction there was a lot of fangirling and cussing. Lol.

Back