• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lugia for Water/Dragon!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 28, 2015
Now I know, I know... "U KENT DU DET!!! HO UH WIL B TEH WEAK WUN OUT OF DA 2!!!!"

But we got this treatment with Generation 3. Groudon says hello!
252+ SpA Lugia Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ho-Oh: 164-194 (39.4 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
(STAB Hydro Pump btw)
252+ SpA Kyogre Origin Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Groudon: 338-402 (83.6 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(and that's not even counting water spout, which is OHKO)

So why can't Lugia be water? Water guardian... Diving Pokemon... Rain dance... something screaming out to you? WAATER! The water makes sense yes. But dragon, why dragon? Because water/flying is way to OP. It gives almost the perfect special defensive coverage, apart from the 4x weakness to electric. Thats why a fairy type or two should be able to put this thing to rest. Also he looks like a dragon, :D.

Ashes to Ashes

Serenade of Cerne
Years
Water I get. Dragon makes no sense. Lugia is a bird, theres nothing draconic about it. Water/Dragon is a better typing than Water/Flying too.

Embernight

Dragon Tamer
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 1, 2022
I thought about this while discussing Bird-types on another thread, and having Lugia as a Dragon-type would make perfect sense. In China, two of the most legendary creatures is the Dragon and the Phoenix, and together they can represent marriage, harmony, and the yin-yang symbol. Ho-Oh is a great representation of a blazing, fiery, phoenix, and Lugia looks like a cool, oceanic, dragon. Idk, just a thought.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Lugia would make a wonderful Water type! It makes sense with how it can be found in the ocean and such. But Dragon just doesn't work. It's not a dragon, it's a bird. A better type combo for Lugia would probably be Water/Flying (I second Ashes to Ashes).

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
Now I know, I know... "U KENT DU DET!!! HO UH WIL B TEH WEAK WUN OUT OF DA 2!!!!"

But we got this treatment with Generation 3. Groudon says hello!

(STAB Hydro Pump btw)

(and that's not even counting water spout, which is OHKO)

So why can't Lugia be water? Water guardian... Diving Pokemon... Rain dance... something screaming out to you? WAATER! The water makes sense yes. But dragon, why dragon? Because water/flying is way to OP. It gives almost the perfect special defensive coverage, apart from the 4x weakness to electric. Thats why a fairy type or two should be able to put this thing to rest. Also he looks like a dragon, :D.

Except Groudon never runs max special defense and the Primal form completely screws it over. If it runs Swords Dance it can trash Kyogre even with Primordial Sea activated.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
I'm fine with Lugia being transitioned to Water/Flying or heck even Water/Psychic because it lives deep in the sea anyway, but I'm against the transition to Dragon type. It does kinda look draconian, but we REALLY have too many Dragon type legendaries as it is. I mean think about it; we have Rayquaza, Latias, Latios, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Arceus (if holding the Draco Plate) Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem and Zygarde. Lugia is pretty unique as it is BECAUSE it's not a Dragon Type.

TravelerTrainer15

If you could change a Legendary's type, Celebi would be a Fairy type.

Years
I think the main reason that Lugia wasn't made Water type was because of Ho-Oh. If the two were seen as counterparts, Lugia would have the distinct advantage of a primary Water typing over Ho-Oh's primary Fire type, whereas in the current setup, they're neutral to each other.

Sure, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you look at Lugia being a guardian of the sea, but I've never had a problem with its typing the way it is.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
A new form can change its typing in the future like with Groudon/Kyogre but it's current typing makes sense and is more unique than having another dragon legend

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
Logic says no but inner fangirl says fuck yeah!! Lugia was always supposed to be Water type in my eyes. Psychic is just so off. Dragon I'm not very down with because it'd lose its shared typing with Ho-Oh.

Mewleon01

Nyoomster
Years
Honestly I could see why Lugia was made Psychic/Water, sure it may look like a dragon, like how the possibilities could be argued with game freak during the creation of Lugia, but honestly there just needs to be a sense of closure of why they of all the types, water/psychic.

Guest123123

Lugia is the Regigigas of Kanto's legendary birds, so I think it makes more sense for it to share a Flying typing with them.

Back