• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Sizes

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
  • I think the height presented in the Pokedex is the median height of the species it depicts, as the Pokemon themselves do grow a little bit every time they level up. Remember the guys in Sootopolis who would give you a type of Poke Ball if you showed them a giant Shroomish or Barboach, and the fisherman who gave you Net Balls if you showed him a giant Magikarp? (and the lady in Six Island seeking a giant Heracross, can't forget her.) You make them grow by leveling them up, and they will continue to get bigger until they reach the level at which they should evolve, and at that point I think they stop growing. We can't see this for evolved specimens, but I imagine they grow slightly every time they level up, and probably get quite large, even larger than they are in the Pokedex.

As for Pokemon that mess me up size wize, there's Joltik. I thought it was maybe the size of a small dog but no, it's a little tiny thing. And there's Sudowoodo, which I assumed was at least 5 foot but... it's just 3'11". How does this little dinky thing block a path again? Keep in mind assuming the size of the Pokemon grows as it gains levels, this thing can't be nearly 3'11 yet in Johto, as it's a measly level 20.

Last edited:

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • Funny, because Ledian is taller than Ladyba and Aridos is actually larger than Ladyba. Jwittz did a great video on PokéDex entries:
    [hd]pB5RfilZVTw[/hd]
    And like one of the comments in the video, yes Arcanine is larger than Charizard.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Even the manga can get it off too...
    Spoiler:

mew_nani

Years
  • Even the manga can get it off too...
    Spoiler:
    They may be as big as they are because they're of a high level, and of course there's bound to be some Charizard that end up bigger than other Charizards. It's like expecting all humans to be 5'5" and be 150 pounds; it ain't happening. As for them getting that big, maybe they're like fish. Fish will continue to grow as long as they have food and fresh water, and there's no size limit. I remember having a butterfly koi that was no less than 2 feet long, and he was 5 years old. Maybe Pokemon are like that, except instead of getting bigger with age they get bigger with accumulated level. Maybe that last Charizard is around the level cap.

Years
  • Remember the guys in Sootopolis who would give you a type of Poke Ball if you showed them a giant Shroomish or Barboach, and the fisherman who gave you Net Balls if you showed him a giant Magikarp? (and the lady in Six Island seeking a giant Heracross, can't forget her.)
    This post completely reminded me of the fact that I found an 8' 11" Heracross in FireRed. Not only is that double its average height stated in the Pokedex, but just think about coming across a 9 foot/3 metre tall beetle in the wild (and that's not even including the height added by its horn). I don't even hate bugs, but there's no way I'd be sticking around to battle that thing.

mew_nani

Years
  • This post completely reminded me of the fact that I found an 8' 11" Heracross in FireRed. Not only is that double its average height stated in the Pokedex, but just think about coming across a 9 foot/3 metre tall beetle in the wild (and that's not even including the height added by its horn). I don't even hate bugs, but there's no way I'd be sticking around to battle that thing.

Just how do they calculate the average height of the Pokemon in the Pokedex? Is it an educated guess, or do they pick the minimum level the Pokemon can be at and get the height measurement from there? Like for a Charizard who just evolved... would he be at the height stated in the Pokedex and just get taller from there? And what about Pokemon that are really rare or just have very few or just one member of their species, like Giratina or Articuno? How does it calculate the base height and weight? It's entirely possible to legitimately obtain a level 1 or level 5 Giratina or Palkia; how big are they, given they're newly born Pokemon? And how much bigger can they get? And are there height differences between male and female Pokemon? Does a female Pidgeot get bigger than a male Pidgeot, or is the male ultimately bigger?

It's incredibly hard to actually measure your Pokemon's growth in the games due to technical limitations, but it would be really nice if there was an NPC giving you measurements of your Pokemon's height and weight so you could keep track of their growth. After all humans keep growing, and there's humans of every shape and size. It would be so neat if you could actually catalog how much bigger your Pokemon is.

Years
  • I almost forgot about that "the biggest catch!" mini games. I wonder if that will ever return to the games.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    I'm really piss off at GF because they refuge to make Big Non-legendary Pokemon.
    Most of the Pokemon only reach average human size 6'00 .
    Pokemon taller then 6'00 are really rare .
    Take Pyroar for example ! It been decade Since We have a Pokemon similar to Arcanine , So Does it Kill Game Freak to make Pyroar as big as Arcanine ???
    Seriously 4'11 !!! That the height of Pyroar , The only Lion Pokemon .
    What was the problem in making Pyroar 1.9 m tall ???
    Now , Pyroar seem way to short to ride like Arcanine .
    Just think, Riding at the Back of Pyroar ! Thats much better then Gogoat .

Trust me , If Ash caught a Pyroar and ride on its back then Pokemon XY would have better rating and Sales .

This post completely reminded me of the fact that I found an 8' 11" Heracross in FireRed. Not only is that double its average height stated in the Pokedex, but just think about coming across a 9 foot/3 metre tall beetle in the wild (and that's not even including the height added by its horn). I don't even hate bugs, but there's no way I'd be sticking around to battle that thing.

Hold on a Second , Heracross can reach 8'11 !
    I though Heracross height are 4'11 .

Seriously , Somebody should Add Minimum and Maximum height of a Pokemon .

mew_nani

Years
  • Hold on a Second , Heracross can reach 8'11 !
    I though Heracross height are 4'11 .

Seriously , Somebody should Add Minimum and Maximum height of a Pokemon .
    Apparently so. He likely had a very high leveled one and showed it to her. Given Pokemon grow a bit with each level it's not so surprising they can get that big. But it still is unknown to me just how they calculate the height in the Pokedex. I'm thinking it's less their average size and more they took the size of the Pokemon listed at the lowest possible level they could be and put the height and weight in.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Apparently so. He likely had a very high leveled one and showed it to her. Given Pokemon grow a bit with each level it's not so surprising they can get that big. But it still is unknown to me just how they calculate the height in the Pokedex. I'm thinking it's less their average size and more they took the size of the Pokemon listed at the lowest possible level they could be and put the height and weight in.

Hmm , So Ash's Heracross and Charizard can reach the size of Average Mega Level Digimon (War Graymon & Omega Shoutamon) if their level increased.
    That Gives Pokemon more fighting chance against Digimon.
    I wonder , How big a 100 level Mega Heragross would be ?
    For example , That 8'11 tall Heracross should be somewhere near 9'07 when it megevolve .

Can you post a pic of that Herocross ?

Last edited:

mew_nani

Years
  • Well I've taken the trouble of finding a Heracross in my copy of Pokemon FireRed Throwback Edition and at level 15 they are:

Pokemon Sizes

I don't know if this is referring to the height of the entire Pokemon or to the height of just the horn but I'm gonna guess it's the former. I'll post back with more measurements as I level the thing up but it looks like already it's taller than the height listed in the Pokedex.

For reference: 68.3 inches translates to roughly 5.6 feet, with the height listed in the Pokedex being 4'11".

EDIT: Well after leveling up Hercules to level 25 his size didn't change any. Make sense, as he's an insect and they molt, but I'll have to get him to level 100 and see if his size change at all. I also captured four more Heracross and their sizes were 40.1 cm, 43.8 cm, 50.4 cm, and 58.7 cm respectively, while only one was above level 15 when I caught them.

EDIT (again): I leveled up my biggest Heracross to level 100 and his size has not changed at all. Whatever their size is it doesn't seem to change as they level. Also I went and caught some Magikarp and had them measured. The biggest is 46.8 inches (3.9 feet), and the smallest is 29.8 inches (roughly 2.5 feet.) They don't seem to grow either with level. Might be due to technical limitations, but it seems there is a size variety in Pokemon.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Can you post a pic of that Herocross ?
    I transferred that Heracross to HeartGold a long time ago, so I can't actually go back and look at it's size. If I can find my FireRed cartridge hiding in a box somewhere, I'll be sure to take a picture of the record height at least.

mew_nani

Years
  • Here is the list of Size discrepancies in Anime ---

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Size_discrepancies_in_the_Pokémon_anime

I honest don't get GF problem with bigger Pokemon ! Kids may not think about size in Game But they does care about Pokemon size in Anime.
    Imagine , How many people would love small Charizard ?
    I say , A 10'00 feet tall Charizard is the Best The Charizard !!!
    I think the size varies in game as much as it does in the anime. Given we've seen a Heracross that's around 6 feet tall, and a Magikarp that's around 3 feet tall, there might be large Charizards in the actual games as well, though we have no way of measuring them.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    I think the size varies in game as much as it does in the anime. Given we've seen a Heracross that's around 6 feet tall, and a Magikarp that's around 3 feet tall, there might be large Charizards in the actual games as well, though we have no way of measuring them.

You know , I actually want to see A Mega Banette thats over 8'00 tall in Anime ! Mega Banette look more cool with bigger size .
    Unfortunately Thats impossible !
    If Only Banette or Ghost pokemon had the ability to change their size .
    Or A new Attack called ''Maximization'' Where Pokemon increase their attack power by growing bigger but loses Evasion rate.
    Pretty opposite to ''Minimization''.

Back