• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Getting started with my 8yr old - which pre-constructed decks?

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2015
    I've played Magic: The Gathering for a number of years now but my 8 year old son is expressing an interest in Pokemon. He didn't really enjoy playing MTG so I'm needing to learn to play Pokemon as I want to fully support this. :) Which two pre-constructed decks should I pick up to start playing with him to learn this game?

Appreciate any input.

somegeek

Years
  • What Achromatic means is the section he moved it from is for video game discussion. Here in Pokemon Trading Card Game is where we talk about the Pokemon cards.

I've played Magic: The Gathering for a number of years now but my 8 year old son is expressing an interest in Pokemon. He didn't really enjoy playing MTG so I'm needing to learn to play Pokemon as I want to fully support this. :) Which two pre-constructed decks should I pick up to start playing with him to learn this game?

Appreciate any input.

somegeek

Rather than getting two decks right away, I suggest getting a Trainer Kit. It comes with two 30-card half decks and gives a brief walkthrough guide of how to do things (much like several various MtG starter decks have been like through the last 10 years) and lets you finish the game on your own past that point.

The most current of the Trainer Kits is the XY: Latias and Latios one, which is about $15 retail.

After you guys learn the game, you can then move onto the pre-constructed theme decks, where he can just pick out whichever one he likes based on the Pokemon in it (the pre-cons are all roughly equal with the other pre-cons save for the ones they have a weakness to).

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2015
    Thanks for moving this... my bad.

I ordered the XY: Latias and Latios trainer kit. Looking forward to playing. Thanks for the advice.

Back